Bored - Need constructive critisism

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Bored - Need constructive critisism

PetBom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm modellimg a tank to use in a 3D vehicle game. But right now I've sort of stalled. I need some input, critisism...whatever! Just to get me going again. So here's your chance to rant! Anything goes.

Click to view full-size (1400*1050, 160 Kb)

And here's a link to a wireframe picture of the tank if some one want to check the modelling out (1400*1050, 66 Kb)

Hit me!

//PetBom

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
The corner above the 2702 looks weird. I'd cut that jutty-out bit off so the front just goes up at an angle.

It's a bit bland color wise. Some more color variaton would be nice, even if it were only camoflage of varying browns.

I might make the exhaust pipe's top a little taller before it curves over.

The gun itself is very boring. It needs some more variation in it's shape. That first side view illustrates that. Perhaps though it just needs to have a narrower barrel. It may njust be that there's not enough change in width between the barrel and the endpeice.

I like the flag, but not that color, and not with the metal bar going across the top of it. The base of the antenna could use some work. I would consider making the flag red or orange... something to go with the logo on the side. In fact, I'd consider making the whole tank red or ornage, cause that logi on the side says "cartoon tank" to me.

I might tone doown the brightness of the numbers on the side. They're too starkly white.

Hm... Actually I see on the front now that that sticky out bit has the lights on it. That's problematic. Cause I like the lights.

Oh and the door in the side is impossible with the way that you have the treads set up. Unless they're just an access hatch to get to the treads to service them.

I might make the bottom of the tank go up in the middle to make that more interesting and show the wheels of the treads off more.

I'd think about the shape of that periscope thing, the top is a bit sharp.

It's a nice tank, don't get me wrong. I don't know if the suggestions I made will actually make it look better, I often have to experiment a lot with stuff to get it to look right, and iy is possible to overwork a peice of art. I usually end up overworking my stuff and then taking a step back and realising the right place is somewhere between where I started "fixing" it and where I ended up.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#3]
I think it's great as it is.

PetBom(Posted 2004) [#4]
sswift: We'll, you really went to town on me :) But that's as it should be. After all I asked for it.

I agree that the gun is really boring. It's the thing that annoys me most on the entire tank. I guess I'll have to start from scratch (with the gun)

Overworking things is a huge problem that I also suffer from. If I look at stuff I've done after, say at least three months, I usually only like the initial stuff, the first sketch, the first few lines of code, the rought version of a model and so on. I need to learn when to stop tinkering with things. After a certain pint they just won't get any better. Rather the opposite actually...

Hehe! Your right about the hatch above the treads. Imagine this battle scenario:

-Private Johnsson, take cover inside the tank!

-Yes sir, colonel sir!

Private Johnsson hurries over to the tank, delighted to soon be out of harms way, safe inside the tank. He opens the hatch with a smile of relief on his face. He steps in...

-What the hell!...*CRRUNCHH*...AIIIIEEEE!!! My legs!...URGHH

The End !

Look! Literature! My creative juices is already starting to flow again. Now if someone just would punch me in the face, I could create a masterpiece!

Cheers!

//PetBom

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#5]
I think it looks awesome as is... I wish I could model like that.

gosse(Posted 2004) [#6]
Very nice model indeed. + texture work is great.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#7]
I like the look of it, although the gun seems a bit unusual.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think it's a really nice model and I'm not really qualified to criticize as I'm sure you know, PetBom. ;)

But...

I personally think there's too many 45/90 degree angles on it.

I, too, think the barrel is way too fat - I can imagine the whole tank shooting off backwards after firing that baby! :)

Lastly, a practicality thing: Controlling the tank in a game would mean you'd have to turn the whole tank to the left/right in order to fire in those directions as it doesn't have a turret. Would mean you couldn't fire off to the sides while moving, too. Maybe this doesn't matter, though.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
I don't think it needs a lot doing to it. You could in theory dirty up the tetxure more, but I am not really a fan of that style of work.
If that was my texture I would be happy with it
sorry I could n't be more abusive

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#10]
I would leave it as it is. it looks awsome m8. and Id guess that once its in game its gona look even better.

PetBom(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks all. This really helped a lot. I feel that I can attack the model again with some new ideas.

It seems that it wasn't just me that disliked the gun. The whole idea of the model is to make a stylized tank i.e. sort of a caricature of a tank but that still seems belivable. Hence the 'fat' gun. But you are right, it isn't working. So back to the drawing board! :)

Watch this space for an updated version...

//PetBom

big10p(Posted 2004) [#12]
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence by calling the barrel 'fat'. ooops!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
I think it looks better 'fat'.

PetBom(Posted 2004) [#14]
big10p: None taken! :)