Soldier w.i.p.

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Soldier w.i.p.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey Guys I havent been around for a long time, been much too busy lately so I've just been lurking ;-)

Anyway heres my latest project I'm working on in my spare time...its a soldier I'm hoping to sell on my website at some point through something like share-it (not sure yet :)) there will be several skin variations ie. snow, urban etc and loads of animations....

but so far I'm just blocking in stuff...

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
That's darn nice, psionic. Nice work. The weapon is class.

I'm no NRA member but I don't recognize it...what is it? Looks like a shotgun (the under barrel pump thingie) but the flash suppressor looks like a small gauge assault rifle and it has a clip with what looks like rifle ammo? Heh, just caught my eye so I had to ask.

Beautiful work, though.
M

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#3]
The gun is just one of my own designs, texture will probably be changed/worked on more soon(ish) and I see your point about the different elements ;-)

BlackJumper(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah, I noticed that the butt is held together with european-sourced cross-head screws, but some of the machining on the flash suppressor looks chinese. The patina of oxidation on those shell cases suggests they have been stored in a high altitude location (I'm guessing South American Andes)... so this smacks of a multinational gun-running conspiracy

;-)

Nice work Psionic (as usual)

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#5]
yeh nice gun

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#6]
Seems your soldiers face doesnt have too much texture detail. Then again, soldiers are all supposed to "look" the same...right? ;)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#7]
Very nice models.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yep, looks good. I think the man's kneecaps should be lower down, maybe.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#9]
I like it alot.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#10]
I'll second that :)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#11]
Its a work in progress, the face and arms haven't even been started on yet ;))

I agree the knees seem a little high, will correct em, Ta!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#12]
nice, but the legs are just far too short. the arms look bigger than the legs, making him look a little on the squat side.
perhaps the feet are a little 'dainty' also, or at least something not quite right about them

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#13]
I'm kinda going for squat(ish)and the legs are "about" 4 head heights in total for the leg to ankle, but I agree they could probly could do with a tweak, thanks for tip ;)

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#14]
sweet!!! ;-)

Tangent(Posted 2004) [#15]
Texture needs works.

Model wise, it's damned good. A proportion help thing: A person's height is the same from head to heal as he or she is fingertip to fingertip if the arms are in the "T" pose.
A t pose tends to distort a little, bring the arms down for a test pose, and rig them at a 45 degree angle, tends to work a little better.
On the legs, specifically. They look proportionate toa human, but what a lot of video game characters, such as ut2k3 and 2k4, quake, whatever, use 'superhero' proportions.
The legs are abnormally long, as you're always looking down on them from the head down, it makes them look less scewed in game when viewed from the first person perspective.

Just a few notes.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#16]
Great model, but you need to work on the texture. The model looks ace though, it has a nice detailed look to it even though there aren't that many poly's

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#17]
The model's great. Sure it's a bit squat, but I like that. Gives it character. I'm not keen on the texture. I understand it's a WIP, but it looks washed out and a bit blurry. That's probably accurate. Vibrant colours on a soldier = dead soldier, but as we all know, games often require a lot of artistic license, and I don't think he's gonna look too good in-game unless the colours are a little more saturated.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#18]
Nice Weapon Design. Send the DWG to Colt, they might produce it IRL :)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#19]
Thanks for ALL the tips, very much appreciated!!

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#20]
You need less lip flaring outward on the backside of the soldier's helmet. The back of his helmet looks like the front of an english bobby's helmet. Take my word, I was in the Marine Corps I wore plenty of Kevlar! ;) Helmets are usually more conforming, think like CounterStrike.
Good Work.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#21]
I don't think psionic needs many tips though ;)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#22]
The helmet has been changed since the first wireframe and other pic, its scaled down so its tighter fitting and it has a much smaller rim now...Thanks again for the advice!!

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#23]
I finally got round to making a start on the head texture today, plus various anatomy tweaks....getting there, bit by bit ;)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#24]
Awesome face texture man :D

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#25]
Still needs work though ;-) heres an urban version with Gas Mask...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#26]
That loks awsome. I only hope that I can do that just as good as you some time soon lol..

Hay any chance you could add a tutorial on how to use milkshape to skin a model. ?

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#27]
Now, that's sweet :)
M

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#28]
really nice stuff, as usual :)

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
that last one is the best in my opinion. the boots and trousers look spot on.

the heads quite nice, but its looks obvious that you have jsut overlayed the phototexture on to some pshop airbrushing. it would be nice it blend it a bit more, though it doesn;t look too bad as it is.
The nose and hair needs a bit more difinition also and you have a bit of uv stretching on the eyes.
I think these minor tweaks would improve it a lot, but thats my 2 cents worth.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#30]
This doesnt look like milkshape work but eh, what do I know :). (I'm totally judging by the screenshots, not the model quality, that looks like 3ds max)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#31]
Yeah the face definately needs more work and is based on photo's my eyes and ears then the rest is airbrushed, noise on a multiply layer for the stubble etc...

I modelled him in Cinema 4D, unwrapped in unwrap 3d (screengrabs from unwrap3d) and skinned in photoshop!