Pre-animation puppet setup

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Pre-animation puppet setup

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

We made a screenie of the puppets for our new project.
The puppets aren't rigged&skinned yet.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
hrm. I take it this is a game where everybody's naked.... :P

Anyway, they look cool (specially the two on the left and the opne on the right), however I doub they why would work well for a game - they seem really high poly - althought the horse has some creases. how many polys are there?

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#3]
@bot builder:
Yes, it will be "adult entertainment".

At the moment ~175k polys per frame give between 28-95fps on our test systems. Although the number of poly is pretty high, there're only a few meshes in the scene and the amount of texture memory used is also low (~10Mb).

I wonder if triangle strip creation would crank up the fps...

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#4]
These models look like they have been created using an app like 'Creature Creator' where you mix and match pre-made body parts - probably too high poly for game use.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#5]
nice covering of up the male too :)

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#6]
@Smiff:
The models where initially created with makeHuman(http://www.dedalo-3d.com/modules/index.php), a Blender plugin, after that we modified them quite a bit with Silo (www.silo3d.com) to make then usable for animation.

At the moment everything is still running fine, even with the high polycount.

@Sinu:
:) To be able to rig all the moving bodyparts we have to put the puppet in a 'Leonardo Da Vinci' pose. Including his private parts...(yes, it also get's a bone). We thought it would be a bit too much to show that in the image.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#7]

Including his private parts...(yes, it also get's a bone).

good job too, we don't want your poor old male model to be impotent :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
(yes, it also get's a bone)

Thanks god we'll soon get weighted Vertices :) But 175k Tris - I only could use this game as a Machine Freezer.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#9]
At the moment everything is still running fine, even with the high polycount.
Jeez! You must have a killer system or somthing

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#10]
We got 28 fps with a nVidia 440 MX 64MB, 98fps on a ati 9500 Pro 128Mb, and 24fps with a older ATI 8000 All in Wonder.

The 175k polycount is the bloody max at the moment and happens when all the puppets are onscreen and we planning to reduce that. In this situation they don't move (they're statues). It's easy to reduse the polycount somewhat for this case.

When they're in in action, only two animated puppets are on screen, which reduces the polycount drastically.

To be honest, we're suprised by the high fps. I think this is to due to the fact that the models are mostly made of continuous meshes and videocards are very happy with those.

I sincerly hope the update with the weighted vertices will be released soon...