Terrain Model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Terrain Model

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#1]
Alright, here is my very first terrain. I'm new to the 3ds max series so, I'm just trying to figure stuff out. Tell me what ya think. I made the texture in photoshop. This was a WIP but, since posting I've finished it, (3rd pic).
By request here is the stages of progress on my terrain model. The third pic that you see is the finished scene. That was just my first attempt so, I'm going to start over again before I make something really cool.
started with a quad grid, segmented it, increased strength to 30, started messing around with displace maps and materials

started with a displacement map, not quite sure what I was doing...

figured out how to make a correct displacement map using Total Terrain, and changed the texture

added some background scenery, molded in, tried to add some fog under enviroment but i don't think it's working right.
Want the file, .3ds or .b3d? I'll send it to ya!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#2]
If everyone posted screen shots of their early efforts with a new modelling program then this forum would be full of very poor screenshots.
Why don't you wait till you have something even slightly interesting to show.
That terrain is really poor - the scaling and texturing are way out- you could do much better with a freeware app like terragen.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#3]
Come on Smiff, this is one of the greatest terrain design I've seen, you can see that he invested lots of time in it ;) Some random noise time :D

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Actually, I used a displacement map Maximo (if you were the pinball wizard, you'd know ;)!) but, i'll bear that in mind Smiff. I'll update this post when I finish the scene. And yes, you can literally smell the hours I put into this.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#5]
I've done some more work on the scene and am currently working on adding some elements to the scene, I updated the picture above to my new wip.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#6]
You guys are a bit harsh on the dude :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
I would have like to see the original actually, to see your progress.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
Okay, there you go! Look at the top post again!

maximo(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'l model the Spirit so we can land it on your mars surface ;)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's finished! take a look!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
It looks like you've taken a terragen terrain and pasted your terrain in front of it. Your terrain is lit from the right the background terrain is lit from the horizon.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#12]
Good work detective Farley ;)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#13]
Nope...WRONG!!!! It's a backdrop for a skybox mapped onto a plane, I don't even have terragen. I used 3dsmax6 for the terrain model, total terrain to make the displacement map, and that's it. Thanks for playing, though. Spheremap wasn't working for me so, I just planed it. Thanks for the tip on the lighting though. I just thought that drop looked the best. Anyway...that's it I'm not working on it anymore. when i do another terrain scene it will better, i'll put more work into it, add some elements, and spheremap of course.