My first 3DS Max Model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My first 3DS Max Model

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here ya go, I didn't even know what they heck I was doing. This (3dsmax6) is the first time I've ever used max series.
It's a decepticon I made using a pic reference, making lines and extruding, and animating.

there is also a mov file at:
http://sites.gwala.net/tormented/crapsoft/
Check out my brand new CrapSoft website and tell me what you think!!
If you want a .b3d or .3ds of this for some ungodly reason just post here or email me and I'll be happy to.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yay, here is a WIP, again I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I'm gonna try and find some more indepth tutorials on turning 2d images to 3d models.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#3]
kwl that looks well good

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#4]
hmmm...quite a wide range of opinion then .....

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
kwl that looks well good
he probably thinks it's a 3d model and not a traceing :P

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#6]
surprised there are no tutorials that come with 3D Studio Max. for all that money CodeD spent he should be pretty angry. i would be.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#7]
@Csven
there is a basic tut for making 3d logos in 3dsmax. If you had the latest version of max6 you'd know that unless you're trying to imply I have a bootleg copy or something.
@Rob/BotBuilder
Thanks, I appreciate your criticism. And Rob I noticed your sig has a tutorial link on it that's a 404 for a while now...
So, I hope you weren't suggesting I try 'your' tutorials.
Although, Rob I gotta ask when you say 'it looks like ---' what exactly is it supposed to look like? It's a friggin decepticon logo!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks, I appreciate your criticism. And Rob I noticed your sig has a tutorial link on it that's a 404 for a while now...
So, I hope you weren't suggesting I try 'your' tutorials.

I hope you feel better because I was just about to think that I was too hard on you.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#9]
I can only gaze longingly through a virtual shop window ! :(

ckob(Posted 2004) [#10]
how did u afford 3d studio max 6? expensive program anyway looks like your on your way...the only thing about the lines and extruding is it will create alot of unwanted polies :P

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well, while I may have never made a dime on any commercial game projects, I did make a nice little mint on selling mix cd's as a DJ in Hawaii and also DJ'ing at some local clubs out there. My interest in DJ'ing stemmed from my interest in game dev which began on my C64. Cybernod and those old cracked game demos were my first meeting with early tech/trance/electronica. And I later became somewhat adept tracking Amiga mods, and then moved on to software mixing, and finally got a pair of turntables and picked up on it quite quickly. While you won't find my stuff in any store, or for sale online I found that combined with my agreeable personality combined with 'Word of Mouth' I was taking more orders than I had time to fill. I also sent some friends who were visiting home packing with some of my stuff, and got orders from their home states as well when they returned. So, I'm not a total numnut, see?

BTW, CKOB when ya gonna finish your engine and update the website?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#12]
soon :) real soon and its not my engine its rottbott's I just make the models and stuff.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#13]
I would probably never buy 3d Studio Max. Costs too much, and i'd never use half the features. Maybe if i get my empire up and running ;)

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#14]
like thats gonna happen ross :D

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#15]
You just watch sonny! :)

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#16]
hahaha, let me in on it then when it goes ermm... LARGE haha.
besides, my empire will dominate your now then.. back to the topic
the models, imo are good, but you really should read all of the tutorials with max first. (help | tutorials)

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#17]
don't have Max. i bought Maya. and the Complete version has/had a tutorial for every area: interface, polygon modeling, NURBs modeling, basic animation, character rigging, dynamics, particle effects, paint FX, Mel and maybe a couple more.

if all Max 6 provides is a single simple logo tutorial, i (again) would be pretty angry.

btw, i upgraded to Unlimited. at $7000 total for Maya (and over $10,000 for Pro/E - my workhorse app), i'm very aware not everyone here pirates.

given the pathetic tutorial support provided by Discreet, i'd be hunting up online stuff. plenty for Max.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#18]
That's why I use GMax... And still haven't created one decent model of anything other than a blob of clay. :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
www.3dbuzz.com is a great source of 3d modeling tutorials in all aspects and for various progs, 3ds, maya, you name it.

Come on admit it, it is a cool little decepticon head...anyone?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#20]
For the most part don't draw lines and extrude them. There are only certain very specific cases where that works well (eg. a flat shape like that Decepticon logo.) For most models with a more 3-dimensional shape you'll want to piece together primitives, or extrude from a base shape, or something more inherently 3-dimensional like that.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#21]
Thanks for the tip!!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
well guys you can download a 30 day fully functional trial of 3dsmax 6 from the discreet site. no need for any priacy acccusations

and yes you can learn almost all of max using gmax.
codeD - try Polycount and google, there are gazilions of max tuts out there.