Space Marine (Very WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Space Marine (Very WIP)

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all,
Been working on getting used to gameSpace 1.5 and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I haven't been a hardcore user of trueSpace since v4 and, frankly, all of the little 3D widgety things had me a bit put off.

Here's what I've been working on today, maybe 2-3 hours:

[edit]See updated image below...[/edit]

It's a Space Marine Terminator from Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K universe. For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about see the following picture:

Nowhere near done, of course, but it's coming along. I'm not going for an especially low-poly model, so I haven't been really careful to this point. Oh, the left side will be going away (his left, your right) and getting mirrored from the right.

Can't wait to finish it and try to export it with anims into B3D - Get rid of the ugly (only because it's low-poly, good model otherwise) MD2 model from PolyCount I've been using so far.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
M

poopla(Posted 2004) [#2]
looks great. The game is marvelous, I wish I had the time, and relations, to play it still.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks. Unfortunately I got into tabletop games too late to even pick up a copy. I have the old 3DO version though - don't really care for it ;)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#4]
They dont make 40'k any more???? I wasnt speaking of space hulk.. but the full 40K game was amazing. Alot of work, but ALOT of fun.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Sweet! How do you like the modeller?

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nah, they make 40k - I have loads of 40k, Battlefleet Gothic, etc. stuff, just no Space Hulk (though I suppose I have enough models to play it).

@ban300 - It's a bit quirky but I think I've gotten into the flow of using it. gameSpace is, of course, more limited than trueSpace. For one thing you only have polygonal primatives and, I think, subD surfaces. I think that's fine for most game uses though. I don't know about import/export yet - but I think it'll be okay.
M

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#7]
You're making this by tracing over the picture then extruding the shapes?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#8]
is that space marine guy standing there pondering the controls and how to use that space marine potty in front of him...

... it is a toilet , isn't it

really... it does look like some sorta hi tech toilet :)

--Mike

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#9]
Heh, exactly what my wife said :) What's that? A toilet? Of course she saw it before I built the leg bit.

@CodeD:
I drew the front and side views for reference. I'm dropping in basic primatives and then cutting them, moving verts, extruding, etc. to make the model.

So, for the torso/backpack thing I dropped in a cube, moved the corners to the basic outline and then cut the faces where necessary and moved those verts to match the general outline. For the chest I extruded the bottom half of the box out and then cut it up and moved things around a bit to get the shape. The chest emblem and neck/collar area were drawn on the faces and extruded/beveled up.

Neuro(Posted 2004) [#10]
Oooooh Rahhhhh!!!

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#11]
Here's a new shot. Little more progress but it still looks a bit like a Japanese urinal.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#12]
wow, nice! A shame Games Workshop is so protective of it's intellectual property...

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yeah, and funny too since they ripped the core of their ideas from TSR, which ripped them from Tolkien. LOL. Anyway, I'm just making this for my own learning experience so hopefully I won't have to fret it.
M

*(Posted 2004) [#14]
FlameDuck: according to thier site fan games are allowed providing they are told (I dont know about out and out reproductions tho).

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hey, EdzUp, can you point me to the url where that is mentioned? I'd like to read it.

This is just something I'm working on for fun but it'd be cool if I don't have to skulk around about it worrying if I'm going to get slapped with a cease and desist order for playing with their trademarks.

There are quite a few fan SpaceHulk games out there and there are even sites with downloadable rules and counters, etc. I'm guessing that means that GW aren't policing this one very hard. As far as I know it's discontinued and they intend to keep it that way.
M

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#16]
Well, check it out:

Modifications, Total Conversions, and Games

We want people to express their enjoyment of our games with as little interference from us as possible, as long as they behave reasonably with our IP and follow any reasonable requests that we may make. We are not inherently opposed to hobbyists creating games or mods using our IP, in fact we are flattered that people want to spend so much time creating games and mods in the GW universes.

If you want to make a game, TC or a mod using our IP you must adhere to the following (in addition to the general principles as outlined above):

Any game or mod must be a "total conversion." In other words, you must not use our intellectual property (logos, images, names etc.) in relation to the worlds, names, logos, or images of any other company. For example, you cannot place our Space Marines in a Disney total conversion using the Unreal engine, but you could make a TC solely using Space Marines with the Unreal engine. This is, of course, assuming that you have permission to use the Unreal engine.

Please bear in mind that we may require you to remove the game or mod from any public forum at any time so that we can comply with any licenses that we may have with computer game publishers/developers. Be aware that we may even have to insist that the mod be destroyed. Please take very careful note of this statement, as we would not want you to feel unfairly treated at a later date.

The game or mod must be strictly non-commercial – this includes any web site that the mod or game is hosted on. You also cannot pay a printing company to publilsh copies of it onto CD. It may also mean that you cannot get sponsorship.

It must be made clear on any readme files, splash/intro screens and accompanying material that the game or mod is unofficial and the origins of the intellectual property must be made obvious (e.g., your mod might say “Battletoes ­ a total conversion for XXXX (insert game name) using intellectual property owned by Games Workshop. Used without permission...etc." See the relevant disclaimer on the following page.).

The game or mod must not devalue any Games Workshop product in any way.

Any distribution (zipped or otherwise) of the whole, or any part, of the mod or game must be accompanied with the appropriate disclaimers and must also follow these guidelines.

The functionality, atmosphere, and parameters of any mod or game must be consistent with the relevant IP.

They're actually quite reasonable. This is from the legal section of the GW site.
M

poopla(Posted 2004) [#17]
Good then, make them proud :). I can't wait to play myself.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#18]
Well, here's an update. Looks a bit less like a toilet now. :)

Still have to finish the head. The arms are posed unnaturally - they'll always be bent in the final. I'll fix that. Still have some minor things to do, like add a skull to the belt buckle, kneepad, etc.

And, yeah, I'm thinking this is too high-poly for a game, but I'm going to make a low-poly version.
M

poopla(Posted 2004) [#19]
Hey, looks great, keep it up.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#20]
I could do that...as soon as I finish these fundamental tutorials for 3DS Max!! Ha ha ha....ha....>SOB<

poopla(Posted 2004) [#21]
LOL, keep at it too codeD! Takes years ot get really good.

Aymes(Posted 2004) [#22]
how many poly's is it now? I mean, if its all turn based I wouldnt have thought its as important to save on poly count as it would be for an fps/etc...

Looks damned good tho man, cant wait to play the first version :)