My one room house

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My one room house

po(Posted 2004) [#1]

:D That's my first 3D thing I have made.

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#2]
good for you :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Paul,

You need some lights now, and it will spring into life! BTW I mean you need to lightmap it, then it will look much much more like home.

Good one!

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
pretty good for a first 3d work. Yes, use Lightmapping, it will look much better. Use Maplet, Lightbulb, CShop, Gile[s] or something similar.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#5]
Good debut mate

po(Posted 2004) [#6]
Are there any free lightmapping programs? Or trial versions that you can save in?

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#7]
Get Gile[s]. If money is an object, uh...mow some lawns or shovel snow or something...The cost of gile[s] is kind of like giving it away considering what you get for that kind of money. Worth every penny.

po(Posted 2004) [#8]
Man.... I'm already gonna pay money for a 3D modeling program it looks like: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29310
And now I need to pay money for a lightmapping program. This 3D business really puts a hole in your pocket! I have christmas money($110).

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#9]
Maplet does some lightmapping stuff (not nice radiosity like Gile[s], but better than nothing), but only on things you've made with it. Does maplet still come with B3D? Anyway, Lightmapping is not a must-have, in my opinion.

po(Posted 2004) [#10]
I suppose it isn't very easy to add a simple light in the middle of the room in B3D?

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yes, Maplet does lightmapping (though I think only on maplet models) and the Blitz user edition is free to all Blitz user. You can find it here:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/file/get.php?file=/updates/Blitz3D/updates/MapletSetup101.exe

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#12]
PO,

Here, go download this
http://forms.caligari.com/forms/ts3all_free.html

It's the 3.2 version of TrueSpace which is an incredible value at $0.00! Work with that a bit before you spend money on something else. It does quite a bit. It's very close to the 4.0 and 5.2 versions.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#13]
... a whole in your pocket, you say... more like ripping your pocket clean off your trousers, that would be a more accurate call...

... get used to it dude, pay up and cry like a little,

judging from the screenshot you've posted, you've got a lil ways to go before that room starts to look like anything...

hey, you want nice, or you want honest, constructive...

like doggie showed you, there are some free options that you can choose from, TS is one of the best (imho)... great, considering it wasn't free when i was starting to think that i could do 3D...

also, a lot of these lightmapping apps weren't around either, or at least not available to most of us...

... so, you are actually quite lucky in a way. :)

ok, back to your first 3d creastion...

first off all, lemme say that it looks much better than my first 3D creation, which has been long deleted from any hard disk, and will never be seen by anyone but me...

you have a good sense of proportion and relative scaling, but that's where the good stuff ends...

ya gotta start developing your skills at this point... texturing, lighting, etc...

... take it one step at a time, and soon your stuff will begin to look like this guys...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=28466

... and eventually, his

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=28149

also, never be afraid to show what you've got, and to take constructive criticsm from the guys who are doin it (not me, i'm still trying to catch up with those showoffs)...

... their help will only help make your work better, and most of the time these guys/gals are willing to offer up some good advice and critique...

ok, soldier... dissss missed...

... and good luck

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#14]
doggie - can truespace save meshes with 2 UV coordsets? which is required unless the lightmap is baked - which will reduce the resolution and remove the tileability of the other textues used on the mesh - as far as I know.

However, on Maplet you can produce a light in the middle of the room as simple as pressing "L" :) . If you use Maplet, also download Decorator, the Texture Tool for Maplet.

This was done in Maplet and textured with Decorator, combined with some nice Sprites at the lights positions:
http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v30/jpg/screenie5.jpg?
http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v30/jpg/screenie2.jpg?

po(Posted 2004) [#15]
I have made acouple counter-strike maps using Quark 6, I suppose I could use maplet. Can I make lights on things that aren't maplet stuff?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#16]
Unfortunately - no. :/

po(Posted 2004) [#17]
Wow Maplet is easy. errm... How do you move lights once you have created one?

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#18]
@jfk I don't really know for sure. I know you can apply UV mapping to either the whole mesh at once or different mapping to different parts but I don't know if you can have more than one set which cover identical areas of a model(asuming that's what you meant.) A good place to ask that question would be
http://pub182.ezboard.com/btruespace4um
I've had some luck getting TS questions answered there and usually fairly quickly.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#19]
Red,

Just thought I'd let you know, Paul is only 13 years old.

I think he's doing pretty well myself!

Ipete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#20]
... a young soldier, eh!!!

... and you think he's doin fine, huh.

so what do you want me to do Pete... tell him it looks great, and that he's destined to become the next Picasso of the 3D world... and leave it at that... right...

nahhhh... he can do better...

he knows it...

i know it...

you should know it...

if his work didn't look like it had potential, i would've just passed it by not saying a thing...

at fifteen, Mozart was installed as the concertmaster in the orchestra of the Archbishop of Salzburg...

... a lot of it had to do with his father not pandering him, but being objective as far as his abilities and talents were concerned (ok, maybe a lil more than objective, but you do see my point).

... hey, he's never too young to join the ranks of the great 3D artists... now grab that mouse and get on the firing line young troop!!!

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#21]
Mike,

I didn't mean anything other than what I said.

I did not want you to do anything at all, actually.

In fact I was kinda praising you because your comments were very positive. Honest and constructive as you said.

I repeat I think that for a 13 year old, newbie, he's doing just fine!

Keep it up!

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
ok, ok you win!!!!

:)

hey, this is po's thread... we outta stop hijacking it before we get in trouble.... :)

--Mike

po(Posted 2004) [#23]
I'd rather not be like picasso. You'd have to be pretty bad to be like him ;)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#24]
agreed!

IPete2.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#25]
Po I think you should just improve the textures , even download some good texture packs and try and apply them in a way that looks convincing.
Try giving the wall a skirting board and coving at the top where it meets the ceiling.
Stuff like that will improve it a lot
perhaps even plug sockets .The furniture isn't bad, though a little basic.

po(Posted 2004) [#26]
Well I would make better textures but I can only get one colour out of it when I put the on my meshes. I either need to learn how to set vertex coordinates or something like that or I need to buy a software. I was thinking of going with 3D Canvas Plus.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#27]
Po why not use the YAL code in the code archives to create a lightmap for free? It's a bit rough and ready compared to a lightmapping product like Lightbulb but you'll get the end result with a little work :P

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#28]
I'm bothered by two things,
a.) Why you think that because 3D Canvas costs money that it's better than TrueSpace 3.2 and
b.) Why you put an endtable out in the middle of a room right next to a coffee table.

But I know what you mean about getting the textures you want on 3D meshes. SOmetimes I can get direct x models to retain them and sometimes not. I really don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

po(Posted 2004) [#29]
Why you think that because 3D Canvas costs money that it's better than TrueSpace 3.2

I could not find any free 3D modelling programs that let you put on textures, so I thought that 3D Canvas would be the best one to get for the amount of money.
Why you put an endtable out in the middle of a room right next to a coffee table

That's supposed to be a big dining table in the middle!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#30]
Paul - you cannot move things in Maplet - Maplet is a very basic tool, but if you are once familar with all the tricks you can achieve nice looking results, that's for shure.

Simply rightclick a Light, delete, then make a new one. With maplet you just need the manual to be opened in a browser, so you can check the hotkeys whenever you need.

BTW Maplet stores Meshes with static paths, this means it's likely that they only work on your machine. Maplet is pretty weak when it comes to texturing. So you really should use Decorator to do all Texture Work in a 2nd phase.

simply copy the textures you want to use into the folder where your mesh relies, Decorator will automaticly load all textures, using the + and - keys lets you select a texture.

first press F2 to toggle the basic help screen: press g to turn off gravity, m to use an other mapping mode...

Download Decorator from here:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=terabit09092002070010&comments=no

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#31]
you're right P... i just used Picasso's name because the name was universally recognized...

personally, i wonder what all the hubbub is all about too...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#32]
become a freemason, then you can sell crap like picasso did :) that said he oftenly painted a picture for a free meal in Antibes, France.

Sephiroth(Posted 2004) [#33]
you can get truespace for free from my website. no registering: www.dragonforce-europe.tk

just look under download

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#34]
Oh boy, now Picasso's artistic success is part of jfk's global conspiracy theory too...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#35]
It is not MY theory, some professors of history research wrote some books about it, books you probably never used to read. No surprise, you where busy with making Clay figures.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#36]
Actually, I was busy getting a degree in fine arts. And of course Picasso was part of it; you can't really study 20th century art without mention of cubism.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#37]
cubism... smoooobism... 20th Century Art... hah!!!...

... a lot of Eurocentric dillitants, sitting around eatin cheese and babbling about some abstractions that the artist never even imagined when he painted the thing...

... art, definitely in the eye of the beholder.

--Mike

po(Posted 2004) [#38]
art, definitely in the eye of the beholder.

I must not have eyes then!
Isn't Picasso the one that cut off his ear then sent it to his girlfriend and then killed himself? I want to be an artist! ;)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#39]
Nope, you're thinking of Van Gogh. Van Gogh was awesome :o)

There is definitely some truth to what Red says... however if you want to do art, you really SHOULD study this stuff, even if you end up rejecting half of it... not to mention the whole art world hierarchy implicit in the "institutional theory" which is currently pretty highly rated amongst art theorists... ah, blah blah blah... well it's interesting to study but far too big to go into here, and like any field you study, half of it is baloney. But you have to study and evaluate it before you can fairly make that call.

But, no, what we should be discussing is one room houses. Any progress on the lightmapping Po?

po(Posted 2004) [#40]
No, no progress. Still haven't got a 3D modeler. Or a lightmapper. Right now, I am trying to make good textures. I have Photoshop 7, but there are alot of tools that I don't know how to use :)

Here is a ground texture I made:

It looked ok when I put it on a plain. I tried to make it look as real as I could :)

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#41]
Have you tried the CSHOP demo? It's a modeler and lightmapper all in one and it will definitely save the textures with the model. Of course it doesn't allow you to import your chairs and stuff directly, you have to convert them with the prefab thing...but it might be a good choice if all you're interested in doing is making building type stuff.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#42]
po try in photoshop: filter-texture-craquelure (or something). Or a bit of noise.

Or select the bricks (not the spaces between them, use the magic stick with the shift-key), copy and paste them, then add some shadows in the blending options (right mouse on the layer in the layers-window).

If you have a digital camera, it's a good idea to make pics of walls and then edit them until they are tileable.

po(Posted 2004) [#43]
Wow! That is alot better!

I know how to texture a cube, but it stretches the texture until it fits the size of the cube. How do I tile the texture and then put it on a cube?

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#44]
Use ScaleTexture.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#45]
Looks nice!

N(Posted 2004) [#46]
Good luck with this, po. If you ever need help, feel free to contact me. I'm probably good evidence that age is irrelevant when it comes to art. I started when I was 11, and I'm pretty positive you'll become just as good soon enough.

Might want to jump in instantly and begin practicing painting of lighting. The whole thing will become irrelevant in the future (in my opinion), but it's a good skill to have because then you'll know how to make models that are properly lit.

Back to trying to figure out why this thread got so much attention in the first place, now.