Advice and opinions sought

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Advice and opinions sought

Matty(Posted May) [#1]
Hi folks I've been drawing regularly for about a year now.

I have a filter I wrote that I like applying to my images which pixelates the image slightly.

My girlfriend who is an artist doesnt like the filter but prefers the raw sketchy look.

My family who are not artists and myself prefers the pixelated look.

I still dont quite understand why some groups prefer one over the other.

I will post two images here and ask for your opinion. Do you prefer a pixelated look or a sketchy look and why if one more than another?

And pixelated

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]
prefer non-pixelated -- all the pixelation does it take away any detail, without brining any benefits to the table. Aside from the high # of colors, it just makes it look very dated.

Rooster(Posted May) [#3]
Both would look good, but the filter is blurring the picture too much and it's hurting my eyes.
If you could scale the image size down, that might be a quick fix for it.

BlitzMan(Posted May) [#4]
The pixelation in the second image is far to much try lessening it a bit,2 to 4 pixels at most .That image your using it is about 10 pixels per image pixel.If you know what i mean.

Matty(Posted May) [#5]
That's all good feedback. I must have different taste or vision because I prefer the pixelated look. Strange. I must see the world slightly differently. Thanks everyone.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#6]
Don't be worried about
I must see the world slightly differently.

we all have our brains wired differently which is a good thing

RemiD(Posted May) [#7]
I am not going to give you my opinion since each individual has different tastes, however concerning your drawing technique, let me give you a suggestion :
use layers !
one layer for the drawing of the rough shapes with a black pencil
one layer for the coloring of the final shapes with a color pencil
(one layer for the drawing/coloring of the small details with a color pencil)
then delete the layer with the black pencil (rough shapes)
it will look less "drafty"

for example, for the small details on the pine tree, you could use a slightly lighter green color to simulate the lighting on a branch (at the top of a small black line) and a slightly darker green color to simulate the shading on a branch (at the bottom of a small black line)

BlitzMan(Posted May) [#8]
I want to see how you are getting on with your pencil drawing Matty.

Matty(Posted May) [#9]
@blitzman....you can see my progress on this page since january:

http://www.mattiesgames.com/art/2017.html

Pakz(Posted May) [#10]
Wow! Those are a lot of drawings if it were since this january.

There are a number of portraits that I think look pretty nice. Would fit the dialogs of games.