Producing Something :)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Producing Something :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#1]
Decided to try some 3D Modelling for my game (which I suck at lol).

No problem, it will be viewed in 2D and the models will be very small. Tank tracks to add.

Link

Derron(Posted 2017) [#2]
Cannot open the file - "broken image" symbol - and opening that file creates a page mentioning that dropbox will get informed about that issue.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#3]
Thanks Derron, it should just be viewable without downloading...I've not had this problem before with Dropbox. I'll take a look at what is happening.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#4]
Hi
I get a 404 error
"That file isn’t here anymore"
"Someone might’ve deleted the file or disabled the link."

Curious to see what you have modeled, what tool do you use to create 3d models ?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#5]
I've deleted the file now and am trying to upload something Dropbox will allow previewing. Strange it's not showing.

Just a low poly Tank, and I used Lightwave 3D.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#6]
Oh...would have liked to have seen it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#7]
Working now, best viewed at Fullscreen - then 100%. Just a low poly tank, without tracks so far :)

Derron(Posted 2017) [#8]
Ok, it is very very low poly - except for the turret.

At the top you could get rid of some triangles (if you arranged them differently) and to keep polycount constant, add a loop cut to the "gun" so it looks more "round".

Even if you render it at a low resolution: every added detail adds slightly to the rendered image - it darkens a pixel here and there, so the "eye" of the player will imaginate the missing details.

So add a cube for the "reserve gas", add an cube for an "antenna", add a bigger portion at the end of the gun and so on.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#9]
It is indeed very low tris !

You could have at least used a 8 sides cylinder for the barrel...

If you plan to create a tank combat gameplay there is a code example somewhere in the archives...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#10]
Thanks guys, still work in progress. It's for an old skool 2d shooter, so no need for anything but very low poly. All tanks will fit on a single screen, so will be very small.

No need to further reduce polys because the game will be pre-rendered and an amount of 'neon glow' added. I do love the Tron look, which never had a round gun barrel on their tanks ;)

When I add the tank tracks, it will even out the poly count for turret and base.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#11]
I think the turret is too wide/too big - at least the round section is. And perhaps the tank is too tall, not flat enough.

In terms of low poly - even on mobile devices you can get away with hundreds of polygons per item for dozens of items on screen at once so I think you can probably up the polygon count a little.

I might do a diagram on my lunch break to highlight how *I* would envisage a low poly tank (drawn not modelled) to give an idea....but then that is just my opinion.

Edit - drawn in five minutes during lunch break:

example design.

AdamStrange(Posted 2017) [#12]
brilliant design Matty - I would say your mechanical drawing is better than you human one ;)

Here's a quick ultra low poly mock up from you base design:

Derron(Posted 2017) [#13]
Remembers how much fun I had when animating the "tracks" in my Ape's Banana Conquest game:

Play it there (for free): http://www.digidea.de/games/abc

They there animated in Blender - so if you are interested in details, drop a line.

@ Adam
Looks good (I would have done the gun with a constant diameter and the front bigger because of the "avoids breaking" which you often see in cartoons)
Your design is more oriented towards modern tanks, think of old Russian tanks or Asian one - they were more roundish (I think so). Means if the game eg. plays in an "alternate universe" then things might look as if these tanks were the superior ones of the past.

@ Matty
Symmetry !!11!1eleven!
Seriously: the turret seems a bit "small" compared to the gun it has to wear (and imagine there has to be place for someone to climb out ... :-)).

Nonetheless it might be useful for you to draw such "hard surface" stuff (furniture, vehicles...) as they make it easier to recognize assymmetry because of that many straight lines.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#14]
Matty, not all tanks have small turrets - and that is too small. But I take on-board what you guys are saying, and will refine my design - thanks. And remember this is not a basic army tank, it's set in a Tron Computer Universe :)

Looks good Adam, but the front of tank is too small as Derron mentioned.

Thanks Derron regards animation.

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#15]
Thing about an abstract universe like Tron is that you can go pretty wide with your designs - they don't have to match the 'real world'.

My medium tank was designed with the requirement that the gun barrel should be on the right of the in-cockpit view.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#16]
Exactly :)

Tweaked the model and updated link.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#17]
If the world is tron-like or is supposed to illustrate how os/software/hardware interact, you don't even need tanks, i would rather use abstract shapes to illustrate different kinds of environments and different kinds of datas and different kinds of events...
Take a look at this game : http://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#18]
It's a tank game, because I think tanks are cool and I like the Tron style. You can write a different game if you like.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#19]
If I can add another criticism...the new model is an improvement however the stretched cylinder for the turret is not practical...imagine it turning - I'll let you look at it, but the elliptical nature of it rather than circular means that when it turns at right angles it will be hanging over the edge of the sides.....it's just a little too stretched.....

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#20]

Thing about an abstract universe like Tron is that you can go pretty wide with your designs - they don't have to match the 'real world'.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#21]
@Steve>>this was just to show you a game with similar graphics... You do what you want of course !

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#22]
@RemiD lol.

To get a much better idea of the design, it's all in the texture - which I haven't added yet. Plus the model needs to be completed/tweaked. Just working out the basic shape at this stage.

gpete(Posted 2017) [#23]
argghh dropbox problem

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#24]
@gpete, again? Dropbox does seem to be playing up recently. Maybe try later.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#25]
Inspired by Adam's Berzerk clone I started to play that old game under emulation and am really enjoying playing.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=107358#1329138

So I decided to replace robots with tanks. Then it occurred to me that a tank would generally be able to take more than one hit before being destroyed, now this would slow the game play down. Therefore I'm ditching tanks and producing something more like the original.

First start, the basic frame outline (minus the random positioned walls).

Link