from 3d to 2d

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/from 3d to 2d

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#1]
Just a quick peek at something I'm cooking up:

Here is the original 3d model:

and the finished 2d sprite:

plus an enlarged version to see the actual pixels:

This is mainly a look at how I am converting 3d into 2d.

Basic process is:
1. model the basic 'thing'
2. pose separate animation frames
3. export/capture resulting 3d frame
4. import into photoshop
5. scale, tidy up, repaint, etc

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks nice (except maybe the lighting/shading which is a bit weird...)

So let's say that you want your 2d animated entity (with one image/texture for each frame) to have a variable shape and variable colors depending on the color of the skin, the color of the eyes, the shape and the colors of the hair, the shapes and the colors of the clothes, the shapes and the colors of the armors, the shapes and the colors of the weapons, how would you do it ?

Personally, i would create the animated entity in 3d by assembling the different premade skinned parts on the skeleton (joints/bones) and then capturing the poseframes of the animation to have the final 2d animated entity (with one image/texture for each frame).

Your thoughts about that ?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
It's good enough, although I think you should detailed the most important part like eyes, teeth, spikes as the entity looks ambiguous or am I just looking at a low quality image..

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#4]
it was just the first model I grabbed, but I agree about using separate parts to assemble later

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#5]
I'm impressed - nice work!

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
thanks. I'm working on something and I'm pleased i've finally got a clear method of creation - although there seems to be lots of pixel pushing involved!

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#7]
Here's the 8 way graphics straight from 3d to 2d with no editing:

lighting not correct, but it gives me something to work with now :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#8]
Comparing the front pose (#1) and backside pose (#5) the arms look really "nice" on the first one but the backside one contains this blocky portion in the middle of the arms.

I would prefer to have the "anti-alias" of left arm mixed with right arm (pose #1) - the left one (his right arm) is a bit blurry, the right one (his left arm ;-)) contains a long straight line (similar to the pose #8)

As you are converting on your own you might think of adding slight "outlines" to the combined 3d meshes: spikes, teeth, eyes. Maybe this contours (if done properly and with the right amount of darkening/outlining) will add to a sharper appearance / more detailled look. As the first screenshot in this thread looks like if you only gave some vertices different materials (so they are in the same mesh) you might split by materials instead of meshes (I often see people using multiple meshes to save on vertices/polycount - which is why I based my idea on this)
Of course this depends on how "cartoonish" the result should look.

You might also tinker with "darkness" of the outline depending on the z-value of the voxel / point of interest.

Ahh ... and auto-drop-shadow-generation is surely a handy thing too - albeit this could be done on an extra layer (jumping = smaller shadow, Street-Fighter-like). So skip that idea.

PS: Image in #7 looks sharper/better than second image in #1.

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#9]
here's the new version with new feet and hands:

I've also been into the 3d code itself and tried to stabilise the lighting system so it matches my isometric setup.

The model has also been edited so that it looks much better from all angles - thanks Derron

And here's the final single frame in the actual game

definitely and improvement on the first version:

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#10]
And another setting this time with lighting:

Derron(Posted 2016) [#11]
Just a (char design) question: what is that green thing next to his teeth? Shouldn't they come out of the gum/mouth inner ?

@lightning
helps to stop the char popping out that much (vibrant compared to the "darker" background). Might be intended though (units distinction from background)

bye
Ron

Cocopino(Posted 2016) [#12]
I like the style of that last picture, but... Why all the extra work?

Have you considered using just isometric 3D with a shader to achieve the same effect? E.g.
http://www.geeks3d.com/20101029/shader-library-pixelation-post-processing-effect-glsl/

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#13]
mouth error - noted
I wanted the character to pop out from the background - the new lighting just makes that more pronounced

@cocopino nice shader code. The simple answer is I wanted to do something that is totally 2d (even though I am using a 3d program to source initial images).
The other thing to note is speed. Complex 3d really slows things down. I can show many more sprites and still have very little impact CPU wise with 2d