just testing

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/just testing

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#1]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#2]
Nice!

Matty(Posted 2016) [#3]
Yes. Your test has worked if it was to see if an image would post? I can see a tree with some yellow men.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#4]
And some .stl import functions

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#5]
These are ultra low tris meshes !(I would not even use that for shadow casters)
But it may be ok for a game with a view which is far enough from the characters/things...

It reminds me of the low tris meshes of an old blitz3d game "wandering knights" : https://web.archive.org/web/20080509161646/http://www.nuloen.com/wk.html

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
These are ultra low tris meshes

Thanks, that was the aim :)

I would not even use that for shadow casters
Different people, different ideas :)

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#7]
These are ultra low tris meshes !(I would not even use that for shadow casters)

Isn't it called "style"?

Does everything need to look photo-realistic these days?

hmmm...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#8]

hmmm...

Only in a dull world, games should have many styles. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]

That's not what i said, but imo even if you like low tris style, it is good to at least add enough details so that it is easy to recognize what the shape is supposed to be.

As you say, different things for different people with different tastes...

(But with textures it can look better, again look at the meshes/textures of "wandering knights" which have similar low tris shapes)

Stevie G(Posted 2016) [#10]

That's not what i said, but imo even if you like low tris style, it is good to at least add enough details so that it is easy to recognize what the shape is supposed to be.

I think he's achieved that unless you can't make out the 3 yellow men and the tree ;)

It will come as no surprise to some when I say that I love this look. In my opinion "wandering knights" looks awful.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#11]
You guys like very low tris shapes !

The meshes of "wandering knights" without the textures look very similar to the mesh in post#4...

Matty(Posted 2016) [#12]
I prefer the blue man over the yellow men. There is just enough detail and style to it while the yellow men look a little too basic and not enough 'feel' to them.

I would happily play a game that used these sorts of graphics - perhaps with a handful of additional triangles, not many, as long as the style worked really well with the theme of the game.

I could imagine them being pieces in a board style strategy game or similar. As long as the silhouettes are good and the flavour is right.

I can see what RemiD means about the meshes for wandering knights - without textures they are in fact reasonably similar (with textures the wandering knights meshes are ugly).

Be nice if it got incorporated into a larger game that was at least a playable demo.

(I imagine once again thought is is OSx only... sigh)

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#13]
The yellow man is shown without a head. Here's a quick one with the head:

The archer is more interesting as it comes from a .stl file. These are used mainly for 3d printing. here is a shot of the original model 3d printed (on the right)

I do agree with Stevie though on Wandering Knights - the textures and game do look awful.

And yep, the wandering knights mesh (without texture) would be similar, but the game is still awful though

Stevie G(Posted 2016) [#14]
I think the yellow man looks much better without the enormous pumpkin head.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#15]
I agree that the gameplay of wandering knights is really really really bad :), but i think that the meshes and textures look ok...

I have already suggested that in the past, but if you like these kinds of characters/shapes, take a look at heroquest. (more detailed but similar shapes)

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#16]
I think the yellow man looks much better without the enormous pumpkin head.

Oh No's. You've fallen into my trap and woken up Mr Pumpkin Head

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#17]
I prefer the yellow men from the original post...

But it's all a style thing, I guess :-)

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#18]

Me too, they look more stylized / interesting than the version with the round head does.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#19]

Me too, they look more stylized / interesting than the version with the round head does.

Totally agree.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#20]

they look more stylized

what do you mean by that ?
(i am not a native english speaker so forgive me to not understand what you meant)

stylized (reverso.net) : "to give a conventional or established stylistic form to" (every artistic creation has a specific style or a mix of several styles ?)
stylized (collinsdictionary.com : "is shown or done in a way that is not natural in order to create an artistic effect" (every artistic creation is ?)
stylized (dictionary.cambridge.org) : represented with an emphasis on a particular style" (every artistic creation has a specific style or a mix of several styles ?)

So can it be more stylized ? From what i understand, no, but you can prefer one style of a shape+colors over another style of a shape+colors... (unless the more it is different from what we can see in nature, the more it is stylized)
(useless debate but i like to understand the precise meaning of a word :D)

Flanker(Posted 2016) [#21]
I guess he means "artistic", and I agree too, the first character is the best one.

This flat shaded style is really interesting, even on large scenes it looks neat and pleasant :

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#22]
Even if your replace "stylized" by "artistic" (performed, made, or arranged decoratively and tastefully; aesthetically pleasing), it is still a matter of taste...

Whatever... It reminds me of an old discussion i had with graphics experts (lol) who repeated the concepts they had learned in school and said that colors can only be combined in a certain way to have something look nice... (your tastes don't matter, just agree with me!)

What is good about using low details shapes (but detailed enough to have nice lighting/shading) and only a few colors is that it is easier to create, and if well made, easier to distinguish the different things in the scene.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#23]
@RemiD
stylized
it's not taste, but style - the way it looks.
if we all draw a tree. Some will look exactly like the tree, some may be cubist, or impressionist. These are styles of drawing/painting.

To be more stylised, is to by more like the style (you are using) and less like the work it is meant to represent.

so. lets take a few style of drawing 2d trees:

You can see they are all trees, some more than others. the less they look like the original tree and more (i suppose) abstract - the more stylised they become

the next image shows different approaches to trees:

but although they are different types of tree, the style (they are drawn in) is the same.
You could probably call this a flat low color style. looking at the pots and the trunks you can see they are all the same style.

Lastly a brilliant example of ultra low poly style:

Canadian expo (1968 i think).

in terms of a low poly tree, a four sided triangle is the most stylised you can get - there can't be less polygons, so it is highly stylised representation of a tree.

I've got to say that it is so brilliant as it is a real building and not 3d! I think I'm in love (LOL)

the concepts they had learned in school and said that colors can only be combined in a certain way to have something look nice... (your tastes don't matter, just agree with me!)

Hmmm. this is a difficult one to explain. In general terms yes, they are correct. There are certain color combinations that "look right"

but...

some people (who have a natural talent - it can't be taught) can put certain colors together that clash, are wrong. and it is brilliant - pure genius.

For everyone else who isn't blessed this way, stick to what you were taught.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#24]
So, what you say is that to be more stylized is to represent something in a way which is very different from what can be observed in nature but at the same time recognizable ?

I understand what you mean, this would correspond to "is shown or done in a way that is not natural in order to create an artistic effect", however this does not correspond to "give a conventional or established stylistic form to" or to "represented with an emphasis on a particular style" which is more about choosing/creating a style by using specific shapes and colors and lighting/shading.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#25]
ok,
Meet Bob:

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#26]
Original :)

It reminds me of cid from ff7 (in ultra low polys of course !) : https://www.google.fr/search?q=cid+ff7

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#27]
bob2

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#28]
Possibly something like this (photoshop mockup):

3d map, with tiles exposed when you move onto them (faded tile)

I thought when you get to a corner and go 'behind". the map might rotate round?