Project Progress

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Project Progress

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#1]
I'm currently working on another side-project of mine that was meant to mimic a minecraft style format for terrain. If anyone would be interested in seeing screenshots would you want me to post them?

Matty(Posted 2016) [#2]
It's always good to see people's work....no guarantee I'd comment on them though.

grindalf(Posted 2016) [#3]
Its always nice to see minecraft style projects

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#4]
I have several dev pictures before this getting most of the faces/textures to display correctly.

Terrain is broken up into sections much like chunks. To support real time updates. Placement of blocks as well as deleting them is supported.

Current Blocks:
1. Stone
2. Dirt
3. Grass
4. Sand
5. Wood
6. Lumber
7. Glass
8. Leaves
9. Saplings -> Grows Trees
10. Shrubs
11. Water
12. Fire -> Spreads
13. Iron Block
14. Cobblestone

I used the classic texture pack for some nostalgia.
I can change texture packs on the fly.
I also used a higher res texture pack called "Dokucraft" as when I used to play i'd often apply it to the game.

Trees are a template right now, just loads in an Object.dat at a position.

Prior to any real noise implementation to terrain generation.

After a few passes of smoothed noise.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#5]
Interesting look. Not my cup of tea but I know it is popular at the minute.

One thing - your grass texture doesn't tile all that well - there is a too noticeable pattern...maybe you are going for that look but it could be improved.

from Matt

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#6]
your grass texture doesn't tile all that well - there is a too noticeable pattern...

You make a pretty good point, i've revised the pattern to be of a random orientation.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#7]
And what happened to your other project (Vonherin), i have followed your progress and it looked good imo, i hope you will continue it.

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#8]
Honestly I hit a bit of a snag, I haven't touched that project in quite awhile. The snag was with multiplayer. I still hope to one day pick it back up and apply what i've learned in other areas for the mean time.

I saw the library being put together for UDP and it has really caught my interest. Maybe ill take a swing at coding some Vonherin this weekend.

Revise and perhaps implement new methods for various things.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]
Or simply make an offline single player game but with a unique gameplay. Online multiplayer could be for later.

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#10]
True, mainly i've been trying to decide what direction i'd even like to go or what i'm even capable of carrying out with my current skill level. It turns into a question of "Am I making this for me? Am I making it for others?"

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#11]
My advice to you : keep moving forward, improving your understanding and creating resusable codes and components, but not in the details (gameplay or graphics) and without a theme, only in the essential functionalities and components you will need to create the kind of games you like.
More and more you will have the know how and the necessary codes and components to make the kind of games you like, and when you are in an inspiration mood, you will be able to choose the details (gameplay, graphics) and the theme of the game and be able to create it in less and less time. (look at what Matt Dickie has done, (even if you don't like his games))

Matty(Posted 2016) [#12]
That is the ultimate question:who is my audience, me or others?

Only you can answer that but from my experience:
Making something polished for you will give you a lot of pleasure. Making something for others brings a lot of stress about meeting expectations. Sometimes the two audiences overlap....often not though (there's a reason successful indies seem to make games like solitaire while preferring more interesting genres to play)

Matty(Posted 2016) [#13]
Oh...Grass looks much better.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#14]

(there's a reason successful indies seem to make games like solitaire while preferring more interesting genres to play)

It is not because your game is not appreciated by enough players to make it "successful" that some indies games with a gameplay different than solitaire/puzzle are not "successful". Just look at the steam store stats (the total of ratings/comments indicate a small percentage of the total sales...) and do the calculations... (and again just look at hack slash loot "success" (or at least what has been reported by its creator) or delver... or project zomboid... or hotline miami...) But i agree that you have to consider the target players tastes and wants.

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#15]
Thanks for the advice. With time, my arsenal can only increase. With each project I've dedicated time to, the more I discover ways to improve on the prior. Coding, for me, is but a hobby that I use my off time to develop.

It is my greatest desire to make games geared to what I like or have found interesting in some aspect. Taking Minecraft as an example here, creating a minecraft clone is nothing new nor ground breaking in any respect.. However, theres no other one exactly like the one I could create.

grindalf(Posted 2016) [#16]
What you making this in?
Blitz3D, BlitzMax?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#17]

Taking Minecraft as an example here, creating a minecraft clone is nothing new nor ground breaking in any respect.. However, theres no other one exactly like the one I could create.

Yes and there is also more chances that the game will be appreciated by others players if it is a clone of a game which is already liked by others players, (and that you also like) with a slightly different gameplay and/or with a different theme, than to bet everything on what you only like...

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#18]
What you making this in?

At the moment its all native Blitz3D.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#19]
Great looking work so far Omnicode.