Community Forums/Graphic Chat/arkaedia

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]
just something i'm slowly working on:

stayne(Posted 2015) [#2]
I like this!!

Wolf1870(Posted 2015) [#3]
Great, looks like the good old C64 Sentinel

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#4]
Here's a different view with additional lighting and shadows. You are the rotating gold cube.

the background stars/clouds all slowly rotate plus the water is reflective and moves

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#5]
Your BlitzMax 3D engine is coming along nicely :-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#6]
Very impressive looking work!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#7]
thanks - i'm trying to work out game play at the moment.

I've narrowed it down to moving only in the x/z axis so no diagonal movement. This means I can check for locations with something on it and do something else.

I've also limited how many positions you can move at any one time. so these can be added to or removed.

Here's a 1st and 3rd person view of it with 2 jump positions (pink blobs on left) the pink blob in the actual view is where you will jump to - this is highlighted as you move the mouse - so it only shows valid positions.

I'm trying for the "simple to pick up, hard to master" rule?

Matty(Posted 2015) [#8]
I like the visual style. Not sure what object of game is though.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#9]
LOL You and me both. I'm really learning how the best way to do everything at the moment. I want it to be something that will challenge and sooth you at the same time. So "The Sentinel" and "Gyron Arena" are good places to start with a more modern look.

just playing with colours

and the basics of the ui

Matty(Posted 2015) [#10]
I suppose you could go for a weird abstract kind of open world hame that is just bizarre....kind of exploratory interactions....it would be different and suit the visual style but it would probably be classed more as a toy than a game. Just an idea. Take or ignore as you decide.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#11]
As always, I love the visual style of your projects Adam...Be nice to play a game of yours one day though ;)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#12]
good point. This is very simple in concept so I'm feeling much better about making it fully playable :)

Hardcoal(Posted 2015) [#13]
awesome AdamStrangmeister

stayne(Posted 2015) [#14]
This needs old school midi music! Beautiful choice of colors. I love how the particle effect's softness contrasts the world's edginess.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#15]
I'd love to be able to fly over that landscape .... very pretty.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#16]

I love how the particle effect's softness contrasts the world's edginess.

Agreed. Great stuff. As for music it needs something to give it an almost sinister...haunting sound to give appropriate atmosphere.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#17]
OK, getting the gameplay worked out now.

1. The blocks on the left are how many positions you can jump at any one time.

1b. The light around you (the gold cube) will also grow and shrink with the amount of jumps available - sorta showing the maximum where you could jump to

2. The pointy things will increase the amount of jumps you can do by 1

3. if you jump over water, your jumps will be decreased by 1

4. you can jump (as many positions as you have blobs) in lines but not diagonally - the big pink rounded blob is the location you will jump to. this is live so moving in 3d it will show only valid positions you can jump to

5. The Flare/light/particles system is where you want to get to. So you just need to get to the light Flare. There may be more than one Flare.

6. Some Flares might not be visible and only appear after getting a Flare.

7. There may also be a right and wrong way to collect Flares. so collecting in the right order will get you more points

stayne(Posted 2015) [#18]
So the object is simply to get to the flare with the 7 jumps given while attempting to refill the used jump blocks by landing on the pink spikes? Cool stuff!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#19]
yep. the jumps are unlimited, but the max amount you can jump at any time is limited.

You can only stand on flat land, and going over water reduces a jump.

So in the previous pics (with 4 jumps) you can move 1-4 jumps at any time in any direction (in a straight line not diagonal - like a rook in chess), multiple times.
if you go over water the jumps reduce (minimum is 2 jumps), if you land on a pink spike you get a jump added.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#20]
ok, quick update. I've got the screen/window resizing handled - bit of head scratching needed there.

And on to audio. I said I wanted it to be sort of calm, so went hunting for suitable sounds. My audio app is great for sourcing and generally mangling audio, so no worries there. Getting the audio code to work was another issue, but once refactoring everything into new classes and making sure they were called sorted things nicely.

So how does it sound?
Weird and strange (in a good way). I have a constant drone for the background, a strange scraping for moving, a deep plang when you land on a pink blob triangle thing and wind chimes when you land on a flare:
https://soundcloud.com/mavryck-james/arkaedia

stayne(Posted 2015) [#21]
Had to listen on my iPhone (blocked here at work). It fits perfectly. I am watching the heck out of this thread and can't wait to try it out! Do you have plans for any enemies at all?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#22]
I've just realised that as well as Sentinel, it also reminds me of Archipelagos on the Atari ST/Amiga.

Music seems appropriate, yes.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#23]
Thanks guys.
@Steve yep, Archipelagos is a good comparison too.

Sound is coming along fast, just got volume fading implemented so when you move near water you get water sounds, as you go further up (in height) you get a very etherial (freaky) breathy/wind sound. and a low pulsing hum when you're next the flare - sorta like a deep power/electricity hum.

I've also been implementing a screen based shader to saturate the colors more:

It's coming along well :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#24]
I prefer the less saturated colours to be honest - gave it more atmosphere.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#25]
Further update. There is now a slight grain to the overall look.
Also now got crystal trees and rotating yellow energy blobs:

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#26]
I really like the look of this - a great blend of old and new styles, and the uncluttered title font works well. I too am reminded of Archipelagos on the Amiga (I loved that game). Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

JBR(Posted 2016) [#27]
Hi reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6VgIB8QGAQ

on the old Acorn machines. Some good ideas.
Jim

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#28]
Hmmm why so poor graphics? The Archimedes had 256 colours, while that looks like 16. The Archimedes was a superb machine.

That game reminds me of Spin dizzy.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#29]
ok, minor update:

with trees, you can not land on them, but you can travel through them.

I've also added blocking obelisks. These are placed on the side and not on the flat, so you can't land on them. You are also prevented from travelling through them

to the right you can also see a bigger tree with things floating around it. It lives at the highest point, and does nothing apart from add some weird sounds when you are near it. it doesn't block in any way.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#30]
OK, I think this will be the last for a while. Here goes.

The shows one of the balls. these will roam around on a predefined route. sometimes reversing, sometimes in a loop.

The Key here is not to get splatted. If you get in their way - you're history. But they are predictable and slow.

Haven't got the rout code in place, but all animation and collision code working very well :)