Visual Novel / Anime Backgrounds - School

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Visual Novel / Anime Backgrounds - School

Gabriel(Posted 2015) [#1]
I had a lot of positive feedback to the background art in my in-development game "With Woman's Tears" so I decided to have my artist produce some similar backgrounds for people to use in their own creations. Since school is just about the most common theme, we went with that for the first pack. Feel free to suggest new themes for future packs.

Six high quality (2667×1500) backgrounds for your visual novels and anime games. Quickly prototype your visual novels or even use them in your completed games. This collection of six scenes covers all of the most common scenes you would expect in a Japanese high school.

Scenes included are: School exterior, classroom, science lab, corridor, rooftop dining area and swimming pool.

Backgrounds are available in both PNG and PSD formats.

Resolution: 2667 x 1500 pixels
Included file formats: PSD, PNG
Usage: Commercial / Non-Commercial
Price: $50.00

Get them here!

And here are watermarked previews of all six backgrounds.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#2]
I seriously love the vegetation, especially the cherry blossom.

In the hallway, watch (i think it's called shadow bias) the shadow where the edges of the walls seems to float slightly?

But seriously great work :)

Matty(Posted 2015) [#3]
Looks good.

Very authentic looking school environments (yet to be touched by students!)

One criticism is the lockers - maybe Japanese schools are different but I don't remember seeing lockers that are actually built into the walls before at any school I've studied/worked at.

Gabriel(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks guys. I love the cherry blossom scene as well. I'm a sucker for cherry blossom in VNs.

Adam: Very good spot on the shadow bias. I had initially assumed that it was because there was a gap between the bottom of the wall and the floor. But if you look on the right hand side of the corridor, that does not appear to be the case. So I think you're right that it may be the shadow bias is off.

Matty: I guess it is unusual for the lockers to be built into the walls. Before we started the concepts, we went through a whole bunch of photos, looking for elements we liked and could mix and match. The lockers were embedded like that in this one particular photo, but you're probably right that it's unusual, even in Japan.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#5]
As for the lockers, every gym I've been too (not been for a while) has lockers built-in to the wall - always flush, rather than boxes that stand out. School even longer than gym absence, so I wouldn't know ;)

Some lovely work here though...Has a nice subtlety about it.

Mithril(Posted 2015) [#6]
Nice art.. I have one piece of critique however :)

You need to rough things up a little, it is too stiff at present, there is too little "life" in the art. Turn a table a degree, generally slightly move things around, doesn't have to be much. Let the pushed in chairs be a bit offset, and not all of them so straight (or lined up) Put a dropped paper in the hallway.. etc.. things like that. To show that people actually use the place. You did do it with the black board though. And put some scribble on the wall, and tables etc.. And the swimming pool need to have the edges pushed down to meet the water. The reason is that pools are (most often) designed this way to prevent tripping over the edge (EDIT: hmm, found the orginals, and this is the first time I have ever seen a raised edge for a pool in a school. Typical :) ) There is (often) also a place for the water to fall into, along the edges of the pool, to prevent flooding. And bevel those edges too, to make them more natural :) And swimming areas in general don't have sharp edges.

Hmm, a lot of points there... sorry... work habit as an old artist. But still, you get the idea :) Great work though.

Update: I took some time to look at reference images.. and guess what I found? :) :

So I guess some *do* have edges at the swimming pools at schools (didn't think I would ever see that, but there you go :) ) But still, it is from this very image your image is made. That is fine by itself (but it can be an issue with the original photographer, you need to be aware of this) but you can see the rough parts, and bevelled edges I talked about in this image.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#7]
@Steve Elliott - I bet those gyms were not publicly funded gyms! (The schools I've known subsist on minimal funding and so are probably using the same lockers that were used when the building was built....in some cases almost 100 years).

Kryzon(Posted 2015) [#8]
Holy s*#%, those are beautiful.
I'm curious how long he took to complete each one. Do you have that information?

Gabriel(Posted 2015) [#9]
Thanks for the crits, Mithril. You make an excellent point about things being too orderly. That's definitely something to bear in mind.

Thanks, Kryzon. She took 1-2 days for each image. I've got a visual novel in development and she's done thirty or forty for that too.

Kryzon(Posted 2015) [#10]
I have to remember to use "he\she" more. Somehow I'm conditioned to think that game developers are 100% male.

Mithril(Posted 2015) [#11]
@KryzonI usually settle for artist,, or s/he myself. But I suffer from the same conditioning ... there simply are too few women in this business.. sadly.