Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The Last Hope - Graphics and Details

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi!

I'm here to show you something cool!

1) It is a puzzle-solving game with dialogues and a lot of mistery;
2) Day and night cycle;
3) Uses physics code created by myself;
4) There are enemies;
5) There are caves, castles, tunnels, jungles, items to catch...
6) Realistic Ambient Sound;
7) It is a First Person Game

Technical things: IDEal IDE, B3d Export for 3d Studio Max, Photoshop (textures and menu graphics), Sonar X2 (music and sound)...

Screenshot:

Thank you for support!

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
A few months ago you wrote :

I'm planning to move the project to Unity3D. If I realy want a commercial game level, i have to make the right decisions.

But this is just a plan. I am testing some of the basic ideas into Unity3d at the moment. And I have got incredible results.

By curiosity, can you explain why you decided to use Blitz3d again instead of Unity ?

(Personally i think that Blitz3d is the best to create prototypes fast so i still use it for this, but i will probably use Unity3d in the future to export for other os)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#3]
Ok...

It is not the same game. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#4]
Ok...

It is not the same game. :)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#5]
The basic question: Video?

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#6]

It is not the same game.

and ?

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#7]
I have a Unity3d game in development (Suburbans).
But this one I decided to create on blitz3d because I always wanted to complete my first game made on Blitz3d.

The topic is about graphics, but i will tell some details here when possible:

Features:
Inventory (realistic capacity);
Cursor: use, pull, push and pick up;
Save and Load (testing)
A really big open world map with a lot of things to interact. Some interactions depend on others being held. This element of the game was inspired by the classic game from Lucas Arts (The Dig).

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#8]

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#9]
Great looking vegetation and trees :)

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#10]

But this one I decided to create on blitz3d because I always wanted to complete my first game made on Blitz3d.

Ok. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#11]

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#12]
Working on how the enemies are reloaded depending on the distance and the block of the map. The white cube is the enemy.

We can see the far mountains with adequate fog.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#13]
I will show you a teaser or trailer about the game in a few hours. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#14]
I like the look of your mountains in the distance with realistic fog effect, good work!

videz(Posted 2015) [#15]
It's nice but it's 2015 so I'm sure you can do better. Trees looks short, add normal maps, tweak the lighting a little bit more and add lightmaps to your terrains.

Fog is ok but I have tried and seen better with the engine wrappers. Give it a go or use fastlib to improve more visual features and I'm sure you'll never look back..

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#16]
It looks ok.
But the lighting on the leaves of the trees seems weird.
Keep in mind that if you want a good lighting you don't want to use "disable backface culling" for leaves, petals, grasses, you want to create 2 different faces (each face having an opposite normal of the other). This way the face which is oriented toward the light will be lighted and the face which is oriented away from the light will be obscured.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#17]
Videz, I did not understand when you said about add lightmaps to the terrains. Can you explain more? Thank you.

RemiD,
Yes, the main problem that I have is how to implement the light better and I don't know how to proceed instead of using disable backface culling.
I don't understand. So i have to create two leaves almost "glued"... What can you teach me about it? :D

Thank you all for support.
The trailer will wait a little.
:)

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#18]
@vinnicius>>
in your modeling program,
select the triangles (and vertices) that you want to duplicate
duplicate them
then select the duplicated triangles and find a way to reverse the vertex order
then move these duplicated triangles (and vertices) slightly away from the original triangles (and vertices) so that the duplicated vertices are not at the same position than the original vertices (this will prevent errors when recalculating the normals of the vertices, if you do that...)

Note that you can use the same uv coords for the original vertices and for the duplicated vertices...

videz(Posted 2015) [#19]
Most popular terrain generator software produce lightmaps as options and export. Since Blitz3d support layered materials and lightmaps this is no problem at all.

If you look through some of the user examples and archives you'd be impressed on what they have submitted and the possibilities with blitz3d.

So to the keen eye, your example here doesn't show anything cool yet. I'm just seeing here that you just textured your terrain and put some trees which is not that hard to do. Fog doesn't even that hard to place. Missing shadows, No normal maps, the list goes on.. looks like PS1 graphics to me or even worse.

The archives and old topics has tons of work where you can learn more from other pro content creators here, you haven't even scratch the surface here so good luck!

Oh btw, with all the items you listed there, your game is similar to Unreal Software's Stranded series, made also with B3D. (1 & 2)

http://www.unrealsoftware.de/game_stranded2.php

You should try playing it, kinda addictive, and it's open source

just a fun fact..

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#20]
Thank you RemiD i will try it.
And about the terrain, I am adjusting the lights and creating alternative ways to simulate shadows.
The lighting effects and stuff are becoming better. When you are walking on the scene with - ambient sound + music + step sounds - the atmosphere is good. I think the player will feel that he is inside the game world.

Thank you for support. I am learning a lot.
I will be back soon.

:D

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#21]
@vinnicius>>i have added a precision to my previous post, once you have duplicated the triangles (and vertices) you need to select the duplicated triangles and then to reverse the vertex order (or invert the triangles/vertices normals)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#22]
videz.

The game you suggested me has a lot of cool effects. I really liked. In terms of visual, my game is more "realistic". It is a little similar in some aspects. There is some effects that i think is hard to make. For example, the sun when you look to it.

And about the progress...
I already finished the codes that has the basic movements of the character (jump, running, walking...).
Now I am working on the interactions with the objects of the world. There is a lot of buttons of the stone and stuff that you can pull or push.
The next step is to check the save and load system. There is a lot of variables to fill the codes.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#23]
The basic systems are almost ready.
Reaching a level that allows me to focus on what the game will really be.
Next steps: basic animations and animation programming.

Working on the world again :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#24]
Hi! I am preparing new images... :D

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#25]
Wanna see, wanna see.. ;-)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#26]
Images (Part 1)

Programming:

Naughty Alien(Posted 2015) [#27]
..what IDE is this ?

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#28]
Ideal. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#29]
New textures.
I am using real images as references to adjust the colors of the textures. As you can see, the grass is better now. The grass will be spreaded over the terrain, of course.

I will show you the gameplay interface soon. :D

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#30]

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#31]
One more :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#32]
A little about the "gameplay interface".

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#33]
Looking pretty good Vinnicius.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#34]
The purpose here is to create a good game, but simple. You know, a well made game. I believe that it is the most important. I won't create advanced light effects, shadows and stuff. This way I can focus on what matters. The world (terrain, flowers, trees) is inspired by paintings and places next where I live.
It is important to say that a simple game is not a bad game. There will be inventory, arch, swords. Everything that a good game needs. The mystery about the story will maintain the player in front of his computer per hours.
I am developing a simple dialog system but well functioning. There is a lot of "adventure games" at this point. But it is more about a rpg game. At this time I can say that it will be a RPG game.

I am not a megalomaniac like Todd Howard, but I love to create a vast world to explore. And it will be present on my game.

It is not just a simple Blitz3d game like we can see at google images.
I think people will be impressed.

Stay tuned! :)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#35]
Sounds like a pretty good idea. But if nevertheless, if you're done and left with a reasonable FPS value, then you can add shadows and water the easy way using FastExtension.
Btw: love the grass, it's looking pretty convincing. Are you using alpha or masking?

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#36]
real time shadows are a waste of mstime imo.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#37]
It has improved tremendously over the first screenshots you had shown. Well done.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#38]
Thank you. I use a bit of masked and alpha. I create buttons to adjust the lights and stuff in real time (it was a secreet! hehe) so it let me to determinate some values of variables etc.

I take photos to make the textures, but it is not enough. For each one I adjust the colors to make more realistic and to fit better with the game atmosphere.

My english is not so good, but I am trying to communicate better. I am an air traffic controller so I can talk a little. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#39]
Creating the world... And this is just the beginning :D

I am anxious to show you a gameplay video with the characters, npc and the enemies (blue box).

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#40]

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#41]

videz(Posted 2015) [#42]
There is some effects that i think is hard to make. For example, the sun when you look to it.

You mean lens flares or light scattering? it's available in the code archives or fastext. What's hard to make? it's been done already in blitz..

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#43]
I will try something. I think there is a lot of math on it.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#44]
Lensflares are relatively easy indeed. check out this marvel:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1107

And for a nice looking sun check the one the Krischan did in some of his code.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84809

Looking quite convincing. Only thing you need to be weary of is using too much alpha cos then you'll run into trouble eventually giving artefacts etc.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#45]
Personally i don't like the lensflare effect...
But for nice shining blinding sun effects i like the "sun partially blinding" effect that fredborg has shown in his demo ( youtube.com/watch?v=uuccl9ywyKQ&t=0m44s ) and i also like the "god rays" effect that Yue included in his demo ( youtube.com/watch?v=xpoww-kM6Y8&t=1m56s ) (made with fastext i suppose)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#46]
That demo is indeed very pretty RemiD. Wonder how he did thst. Shame he never released the source of that demo, was always amazed by it.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#47]
Ok, thanks... Well, this is not my focus at the moment. But I will study about it at the end of development and I will apply if technicaly possible.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#48]
The "sun partially blinding" effect can probably be made with quads positionned in front of the camera oriented toward the camera, and hidden shown depending on if a direct line can go from the sun to each quad (with linepick and pickables)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#49]
RemiD, thanks.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#50]
I am really busy at my work. Lots of things to do. But don't worry! I will return working on the game after 09/27.
Well...
I have started modeling the npcs and to define the colors of its clothes and its variations and how the blitz will load and apply the texture in a simple but good way.
I am studying whether to change the resolution of the textures (128-256-512) depending on the distance to the player (camera). I will check if this technique is good to save memory and to improve fps and stuff. I think that GTA Vice City (San Andreas) has the same idea besides changing buildings to similar buildings (boxes) with small details. Probably it will require a bigger processing power, but it will permit a better fps.. maybe.
I am defining some beats (cycles with counters) of codes to verify each element. Example: For each second there will be two updates about showing and hiding the blocks of the terrain; For each half of second there will be one update to check another thing ...

I will test everything to define if all of this is coherent.

See you!

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#51]
I'm here painting textures for characters on Photoshop. Images soon (meshes and textures).

=]~

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#52]
Vinnicius, your work is an inspiration. I'd dreampt of doing something as ambitious as your project but other distractions have got in the way.

Keep up the good work ;)

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#53]

I am studying whether to change the resolution of the textures (128-256-512) depending on the distance to the player (camera).

It is probably useless to do this nowadays, most gpus have enough ram to store 100+ 512*512 textures...

What takes time to render is the number of surfaces in the scene and the number of vertices/triangles in each surface, and also the blend of alpha surface/texels, and also the intersecting meshes (so try to avoid this as much as possible)

A good approach is to create one surface with one texture for all static meshes of an area of the map, and one surface with one texture for each turningmoving mesh (you can also use copyentity to create copies of premade meshes, for vehicles, characters, armors, weapons, projectiles, items...)

One exception is for particle emitter and particles, i suggest to have different emitters and to have one surface one texture for all particles coming from one emitter. (because there is no need to update all vertices positions of all particles of all emitters if only one is in view...)

Another exception is for surfaces requiring a different blend/effect, for example for a surface which needs to be fullbright or a surface which needs to reflect the environment (with a cubemap), or a surface which needs to glow (i use a blurred fullbright...).

Good luck for the next steps...

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#54]
Thank you RemiD. I will follow your words.
I have decided to show the characters next week.

While you wait, here is an image of how I create the scene. It is just an idea. I think it is obvious for some of you guys, but for those who don't know yet... There are modular pieces and stuff. Take a look.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#55]
I never could imagine how difficult is making the quests structure. It is really complex, because you have to be sure that the last mission has been completed and stuff. You know, I'm talking about the dialogs. To show or not some talks. Now I am realising what is really an open world game. :D

But! I am sustaining, everything I wanted is working at least...

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#56]
Defining some pieces... Working on the loading code of the houses and dungeons.

Some NPC scripting with AI. I will talk about it soon.

Note that I am not focusing on the visual part yet. So, everything will be better at the end. The trees and all the vegetation will be changed. The scene will contain a lot of branches, bushes, a lot of natural elements. I am taking notes about what I have to modelate.

By the way, I usually take notes of the tasks in a excel file. So I can have control of what should be done and what has been done. Including predicting how much time I need to achieve some goals. It is as if I were a studio. You know. I take it seriously as my main occupation. Despite not make money from it, yet.

And about videos... I am not ready to show yet. I am like... Rockstar (gta). haha I'm kidding. I will show you soon. :D
I Will record a video when more game elements are ready. So this way I will be able to demonstrate more complete systems.

Some weeks... Or days maybe.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#57]
This looks nice enough so far. :)

I am interested in these kinds of games, i will follow your progress.

Do you plan to make all buildings manually ? I see that you use premade parts, this is a good idea, this should facilitate the creation of each building.

How do you plan to make caves ?

Good luck for the next steps.

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#58]
Yes, I will make all the buildings manually. I talked to some important guys about it. A level designer from Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) and a level Artist from Bethesda Game Studios (TES oblivion, fallout 3, 4, skyrim). They talked to me awesome tips about how to THINK the world creation. How to organize the modular buildings and stuff.

For example, when you are walking on the scene and you look to the horizon, the vision has to be like a beautiful painting. It has to contain a great tree + water + mountains + a far city - a path - people walking or doing normal things. It is just an example.

AND IT will be present in my game. :D

Most of the caves are dark. There is no many torches along the path, but some of the caves are more enlightened. The caves has a mysterious feeling, with a bit of fog (well balanced). Imagine a place that has not been visited for years, with some traps, stone doors to open (a lot of). There will be just one big cave that can be accessed from different places along the world. I'm using some story elements to it.

There is a lot of books and paper notes that you can find that will help you to understand how to do things and how is the world. For example, there is a cave that you find the instructions (based on myths etc) to open a door, for example, in a book found kilometers from there.

The gameplay is based on surviving the threats and doing important things to the story.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#59]
About the buildings, i am currently coding a system to make buildings similar to houses or tower of flats (with a 3dtile system with premade tiles), but i have read about the premade parts they use in Oblivion, Fallout3, and i may try to use a similar system later.

About the caves, my question was more about how you plan to make them (with premade parts, procedurally or manually...)

I have done some experiments to make caves partly manually (to define the basic shapes of the corridors and rooms) and then build the mesh procedurally with premade parts and then add deformations (with a slight offset depending on each vertex normal) and then add obstacles (rocks, stalagmites, stalagtites, roots). This looked good. But then i stopped... I may try again later.

Since you say that the game will be "open world", how do you plan to load/create save/delete the entities/meshes/textures of different zones ? in real time ?

The gameplay is based on surviving the threats and doing important things to the story.

Ok, i am curious to see what you will manage to do. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#60]
Well, when the player enters a cave (or a house), the position of all characters, items, enemies, are saved (dim with types). Some values are turned to 0 and the entities are freed. So there is a function to load the "scene to load". So, i made an idea of layers when loading the world. Walls, objects, windows (with "reflections"), doors, npc... I have tested and it is working very well. I have to pay attention to not forgot some entities or to free some variables (dim and stuff). It is a hard work. For example, I change the postion of a cube (representing a character at now) and exit the room. I return and the entity appears at the desired position. It is working :D

See you! :D

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#61]
Ok !

About the open world, my question was more about if you plan to use separate zones (with loading screens) or a continual loading/creating saving/destroying of entities/meshes/textures (without loading screens).
Especially outdoor when you can see far away...

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#62]
There is no loading screens. The game has almost five square kilometers and all the collision remains functional. I am not getting problems with "no precision" math or xyz positions far from origin (0x0).

The entire world is loaded at begining and divided (renamed) in blocks. So, a function checks the position of the character and 'show' or 'hide' the pieces of terrain and its layers (trees, grass, houses...). I have faced some problems with the characters because when a block are hidden the characters has to stop falling and walking, you know, the terrain there will not be there. But i solved with simple booleans. There is a lot more about it but it is impossible to explain it. haha

Working...

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#63]

Yue(Posted 2015) [#64]

vinnicius(Posted 2015) [#65]

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#66]
I am still working on this game! News soon. :D

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#67]
Looking forward to some new shots.

grindalf(Posted 2016) [#68]
Im liking the look of this game. Cant wait to see some gameplay

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#69]
Today: Improving the loading pieces of the world (and characters, objects).

I will record a video when more systems are ready and working. This way I can demonstrate the game with more information.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#70]
I am currently doing some tests to build a map using modular parts and a grid and it is indeed an interesting approach (less time consuming) ( i see how you have built your temple #54 and your house #31 with parts, very good :) )

The challenge may be if you decide to use texelslighting (lightmapping) instead of vertexlighting (directx7 lighting) because then you can't use copies of meshes because each part needs to have its own lightmap uv coords (so have a different surface be a different mesh)...

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#71]
Remi if you mean lightmapping then use light mapping not your own texelslighting which means nothing!!!

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#72]
Yes and vertex lighting (which should be "vertices lighting") does not mean anything either ? ;)

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#73]
Which of these elements you want in the game?

1) Aliens;
2) Mages and Potions
3) Swords
4) Phtantoms
5) A Crashed Alien Spaceship
6) Abandoned Cities
7) Items to collect
8) Misterious caves to explore with secrets and tombs to discover...
9) Guilds
10) Long range weapons
12) A big main city and a lot of little villages

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#74]
Nothing, i am just curious about what you will manage to create and how you have created it.

Maybe take a look at games with a similar gameplay that you like and which have been liked by others players, and try to make a clone (slightly improved gameplay, slightly different gameplay, with another theme), that's my current approach.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#75]
I don't like to clone games. This is the most important thing about creating games. For me there is no copy and paste (art, programming, everything).
The point is that I am just "INSPIRED" by some specific games. Everything about the story and the art of the game are original. I don't like to copy elements, you know.

I think you didn't understand what I asked. I am just trying to get informations about what to change and improve. The art and the story are almost ready. I have the main dialogs and main quests already done. Everything is original.

I will improve the game, depending on the crowd's want, to reach the best result.

So again...
Whitch of them you think will be present on the game?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#76]

I will improve the game, depending on the crowd's want

And this is a good approach imo, but do you really think that your target players are on a blitzbasic forum ?

Personally i like 6,7,8 (but i am probably not your target player)

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#77]
I'm making contents for youtube, twitter... But I'm not ready yet.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#78]
6, 7 and 8 are the most present elements on the game. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#79]
Working and working...

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#80]
@vinnicius>>Can you please explain briefly how you manage the terrains since it seems that you use premade meshes and not ROAM terrains (blitz3d terrains) ? Do you use different levels of details or maybe a limited range of view so that there are not too many triangles to render ?

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#81]
There are important limits of course. But the world is divided in "little" squares of 500meters. So there are functions to show or hide the far squares. I just use simple booleans based on where the player is located. Each square has some layers because of collisions, different effects and stuff. There are day-night cycle too, so there are alot of automatic color and fog adjustments.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#82]
I am defining the colors and atmosphere of the game. I am finalizing the story so it is time to create the definitive visuals. You know, it is something about Art Direction. I am creating some scripts of enemies too.

About the screenshots: the world is not completed yet.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#83]

feeble1(Posted 2016) [#84]
Looking forward to a demo!

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#85]
"The Last Hope" is like a big puzzle with elements interconnected.
No matter what the player wants to do first because each player chooses his own way to solve the puzzles. It does not matter the sequence. You will find pieces to match and make things to work. You will find characters to help you and to help. The background of the world will help you to understand the mistery of everything.

Listen to your footsteps. Listen to the wind passing through the rocks. Hear everything that happens around them. Immerse yourself in this world rich in mysteries and underground labyrinths full of surprises.

Games like "The Dig" (Lucas Arts), "Oblivion", "Heart of Dakness", "Skyrim", "Myst" has inspired me to make "The Last Hope".

Vinnicius Silva.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#86]
You're making good progress but I do have to point out that you could make some improvement on your skybox setup. The current one in display looks a bit off and distorted and there are tons of skybox code in default samples and code archives to copy from.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#87]
Yes, I am working on it. Thank you.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#88]
@vinnicius>>To render your own skybox textures with clouds :
PCL_Cloud : http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=188

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#89]

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#90]
Fascinating! Like the way this is going.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#91]
Working on the inventory. As I said, there are options of "use", "push", "pull"... like the classic adventure games, with an inventory to use items... A big story and a big interconnected puzzle system to solve.

Images soon.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#92]
At work...

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#93]
Man, 3d math is a big challenge when making a game. I know how to do it by myself, but, you know, Blitz3d is always saving our life by bringing us DeltaYaw functions and stuff. Thank you blitz3d team. :D

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#94]

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#95]

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#96]
Nice full moon, convincing ambiance :)

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#97]
Glad to know this project is not dying!

That game is getting darker (ambience) and i like it

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#98]
The graphics looks similar to Morrowind imo, quite good

Matty(Posted 2016) [#99]
Looks great. Keeps improving.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#100]
Nice atmosphere in the last shot.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#101]
Thank you guys.

"That game is getting darker (ambience) and i like it"
- Yes, I turned everything to dark! :D (we have day and night of course).

"The graphics looks similar to Morrowind imo, quite good"
- Yes, I was not looking for it, but for some reason it looks similar :)

I am always working on the game. :D

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#102]
Continue...

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#103]
News (18/05/2016):
Everything is getting better day after day. I am really happy. I am rewriting the AI for the enemies and npc's, defining the paths, the reactions of them depending on the player's actions. etc. The enemies and the npc are just boxes yet, so I can't show you the characters at this moment (it is normal even for the greatest studios projects :) ). I already made some animated characters just for testing and it was ok. The inventory interface and its mechanics are ready.

Hey guys, i forgot to tell you that "The Last Hope" is just a provisional name for the game. Because maybe I will be forced to change it for some reasons. Just during the development of it.

One more screenshot:

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#104]
Showing a little bit of the interface :P

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#105]
Nice. Are your grass manually edited and placed? or is it generated?

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#106]
The grass is manually placed on the ground using 3d Studio Max. The scenery is loaded by layers. The rocks, trees, leaves, grass are loaded separately with its own characteristics defined with Blitz3d functions (effects, transparency, collision and stuff). I try to write the scripts very clean and organized to be easy to work.

New images soon. :)

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#107]
I want you some opinion about trees. This forum is my base to make the game so it is really important to hear the opinion from who really understand about. So, do you think that Trees (the leaves) like GTA San Andreas is a good idea? Because I think I can make simple trees but well designed. What do you think guys!?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#108]
For trees, the important thing that i have learned is to have 2 separate faces for each small branches with leaves (for example 2 quads slightly separated with triangles having an opposite normal). This will produce a nice and coherent lighting/shading (not the case with disable backface culling)
Same thing for the small branches with leaves of bushes and same thing for the leaves/petals of plants.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#109]
Thank you. I will try it.

It seems to be a stupid question, but I only know how to make the trees using the flag "4 - Masked" with disable backface culling when loading the texture. I never tryed to make transparency directly from 3d studio max (exporting ".3ds" file). Can you teach me about it?

Anyway, I will have to make simple trees because of the limitations of Blitz3d (amount of triangles, vertices...).

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#110]
Yes you want to use black texels for the transparent texels and load the texture in masked mode or you could also load the texture in alpha mode and manually set the alpha of the texels that you want to be transparent to 0

Forget about disable backface culling, it will produces senseless incoherent lighting/shading...
Instead create your quad/flatshape (for small branches/leaves) and then select the triangles of this quad/flatshape and duplicate them, and then invert the vertices normals, and then move the quad/flatshape slightly apart (for example with a 0.001 offset) from the other side. (separating the 2 sides allows to be able to select the vertices without them overlapping, if you need to do edit it in the future...)
And before duplicating it, i suggest to unwrap the quad/flatshape, texelsfill it, uvmap it, so that when you duplicate the triangles and vertices it is already unwraped, texelsfilled, uvmapped.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#111]
Thank you.

I don't know if i have understood. How can I "set the alpha of the texels that you want to be transparent to 0"?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#112]

How can I "set the alpha of the texels that you want to be transparent to 0"

Some examples :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1013
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=102563 (#4)

The Blitz3D documentation says that the masking is based on the black colour, but internally it's really based on alpha values - at the moment of loading your masked texture, Blitz3D writes on the masked texture an alpha value of zero for all the black texels, and an alpha value of 1.0 for all the other texels.

vinnicius(Posted 2016) [#113]
I will have to study and test and test... I never tried to make it.

Thank you.