Boxing Day (Graphic-Style Showcase)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Boxing Day (Graphic-Style Showcase)

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#1]
After the miserable failure of my last game BlitzBitz'.', I've decided to work on something completely different -- something much more simple (since that's apparently what indie-gamers prefer.)

My latest project is titled Boxing Day. It's a 3D open-world game where you play as an adventurer who must get as much treasure as he possibly can and make it back home before nightfall. The game is planned to feature a day and night cycle, and teleportation spots that will allow you to easily traverse one part of the world to another. The game is not planned to have a story of any kind.

Boxing Day will feature environments that appear to be made out of pieces of cardboard. Only the title, the protagonist, and the "center" of the game world has been created at this point. Here are some screenshots to showcase the Boxing Day's art-style:

Hopefully this game won't totally suck.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
I personally respect the efforts you have done to make the game "BlitzBitz" but this is not the kind of game i like to play.
However an open world game without a story or at least which gives the player the possibility to go where he wants in the world and do what he wants (restricted by the gameplay of course) may appeal to more people.
My only recommendation to you is to allow the player to save and quit and then to load an resume often. Or at least add save points or check points, smartly positionned in the world.
Good luck !

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#3]
Why wouldn't you like to play it? I want to know so that I can make necessary improvements while the game is still so young.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#4]

Why wouldn't you like to play it?

Mostly because this is not a "genre" and a "theme" that i like. These are my tastes. Don't worry, your game looks good and neat and seems functional (i have only tested the beginning).

I have tried it and the only thing that annoyed me was the impossibility to change the options in game (especially the volume of the music which i have found very annoying)

For the little that i have tested i would add 3 things :
->when the user presses the escape key, don't exit the game directly, rather display a menu with :
continue
options
quit
->some essential options like the possibility to set the volume of sound effects, voices, music (consider that even if the volume seems ok on your computer, it may be too low or too high on others computers, also consider that some people don't like music in a game, i personally appreciate music only during combat or in specific places like in a bar/nightclub)
->if you decide to use only 1 resolution for the graphics window, i would use one which is can be used on most computers.

The idea to display which key to press when it is possible to do an action is good imo.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#5]
Are you speaking of BlitzBitz'.' or Boxing Day?

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#6]
BlitzBitz

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#7]
Oh, I was confused for a second.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#8]
Well, BlitzBitz'.' is complete, so I'll be sure to address your concerns in Boxing Day if it gets finished.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#9]
Hang on a minute....you call a game that was released what seemed like a few days ago a miserable failure? !

This a piece of advice I read on a competing products webpage about 15 years ago:

"Your first 10 games will be cr@p"

Yep. Basically theyre learning experiences. With that in mind the only way they can be a miserable failure is if you don't learn from them.

It's simply the normal process in any activity. There's an ex football coach (David Parkin) who loves to throw around the notion that to become good (ie professional level) at an activity you need to spend 10,000 hours at it during your life.

As a one man game development team though a developer has to learn more than just programming skills.

I noticed in my brief time as a school teacher there are a lot of the younger folk who expect immediate success (in all areas of life) and simply arent used to the notion of practice makes perfect.