Here's a quick tutorial I knocked up on creating a low poly rat

Vertex Count: 555
Face Count: 984
Colours used: 44

Here's the tutorial
http://vjointeractive.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/low-poly-rat-tutorial/

and a quick animation

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]
Good :) How is it colored ? all with verticescolors ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#3]
Great tutorial, can I ask which modeling tool you used ? I've used Wings, Ultimate Unwrap 3D and Blender - would you advocate using any of these with your tutorial?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#4]
@RemiD. Yep it's all vertex coloured. To be more correct it is individual vertex coloured - so each vertex per face is individually coloured

@Blitzplotter. OK the modelling tool is called Rameses and is only for OS X. you can find more info about it here:
http://vjointeractive.wordpress.com/rameses-3d-editor/

There is no download, but I can let you have the current version if you would like to test and give me some feedback?

It loads b3d and obj files, but only exports it's own format at the moment.

I've used Wings, Ultimate Unwrap 3D and Blender - would you advocate using any of these with your tutorial?

Hmmm. The best I can say here is use whichever editor you feel you can use best. I didn't like wings and hated Blender and have no experience with Unwrap.

Apart from issues with vertex colouring, most packages support lowly editing in some form. I came from ads Max which was great.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#5]

To be more correct it is individual vertex coloured

To me, it makes more sense to say that a surface was colored with a texture+pixelscolors or that a group (of vertices and triangles) was colored with verticescolors... but ok, vertexcolor if you prefer.

Your mesh editor looks great, well done.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#6]
the internal model structure is:
-color array
-vertex array
-triangle array
3 reference to vertex array
3 reference to color array

So in the above one vertex colors are used, but these can be per face.

There are no textures/bitmaps used - although they can be added along with materials if needed.

Thanks - Rameses (The editor) is now very stable and very quick and flexible to use :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#7]
coloring meshes with either different groups+vertexcolor or with an autounwelding+autotexelsfilling+autouvmapping+pixelcolor is very fast compared to having to manually unweld+texelsfill+uvmap each part of the mesh.

so what you have done is very useful, again i have done similar things to facilitate the process to color a mesh with different colors without having to use too many surfaces. (i don't need to have photorealistic textures on my meshes anyway!)