The first Screenshots - SUBURBANS

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The first Screenshots - SUBURBANS

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello guys!

This is my first topic here at the forum.
And I'm really excited to show you the first image of my game.

The city is bigger then GTA Vice City game. I'm working really hard to manage the loading parts of the city to rendering. Blitz3d has some limits, but everythink is working really well.

The cars, the people and everything has own life. For exemple, if two cars crashes, the people will stop to watch and one of them will call the ambulance (animation of the person). The ambulance exit the garage and find the nearest way to get the place. The situation ends when the ambulance reaches the accident. When the player get out or the region and return to the place, everything is ok.

I will tell more soon!
VINNICIUS SILVA DA ROSA

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#2]
---

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#3]
Image 1

Image 2

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#4]
---

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
You should probably post a video or something, as the screenshots above are painting a very different picture to the accompanying words. The models seem very crude - for example, the cables are completely straight and rigid between the poles; they should hang down slightly in a curve, and everything lacks detail. Also the texturing is... not nice. It looks like you haven't even bothered on a lot of surfaces eg the edges of the kerbs, and I can't even begin to explain what's going on with the lighting on the buildings.

KronosUK(Posted 2014) [#6]
Sounds like an interesting project.

Are you going to be using proper physics for the vehicles? Is this going to be one open world or will it be split into smaller areas.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#7]
Hi!

The game has a day/night cicle.

The city is not completed yet this is why the textures are not good. I'm testing some pieces of code. I will change the sidewalk textures and the cables of course. This is just an ideia of what its gona be :)

I'm using my own physics idea. Simple gravity and randomply direction for the cars at the intersections. I'm working realy hard on it to make the game as much realistic as possible. For example, when the car reach an intersection, he start to turn to the right or left to get the next road and go on.

And Yes! This is a open world game. The character needs to eat, drink and stuff. There are guns, items, a lot of missions and a lot of dialogs.

The Story:
The main character works on a factory. He is a simple man that lives at the poor side of the city. He is married and has a daughter. He is out of money and has to do some side jobs to get what he needs for his family.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#8]
Interesting, when can we try a demo ? I am curious.

Good luck for the next steps !

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#9]
Hi!

New stuff. Take a look :D

City modeling with 3D Studio Max

Cars at the intersections test.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#10]
The City at the Night....

Yue(Posted 2014) [#11]
Personally I think it is a very ambitious project, I disobey luck on the project. In my time try something similar.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#12]
It is a really big project, but I'm really happy because i know how to do everything.

At the moment I'm creating some functions for the cars and the people. I'm not focused on the Graphics.

The people do things by itself. They walk to the market, restaurants... When each of them reach the destiny they decide to go to another place. You will be able to talk to them, to ask something that is related to the story. Each person has their own personality. If the person is very reserved, she will refuse to pass some information.

The shops close their doors in the late afternoon. You can see the doors of the stores closing. I've tested it and it is really cool.

The police walk around town. When officers arrive near some assailant, the assailant is killed. This is because the city has extremely violent police. I use simple boolean logic. When this happens people stop to look around.

I am very eager to record a video to show it all to you guys!

:D:D

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#13]
Working Hard! :)~~

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#14]
Onde more...

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#15]
I'have loaded 500 characters (low poly) with animation and animating on the scene at the same time. And the game runs smoothly! Incredible! Even calculating distances and checking some booleans (places to go like i sad before) :D:D

I will record to show you guys :)

I have teste on:
Processor = Intel Core i5
RAM = 6 Gb

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#16]
The first Videos:

The Cars (ai):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wHKE8s9pc&feature=youtu.be

The Citizens (500 or more on the scene)
http://youtu.be/r1KRLX6p1Us

GfK(Posted 2014) [#17]
AI Seems OK insofar as the cars are following the road, but why are they changing color?

Can't really comment on the other video as I couldn't see a thing - way too dark.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#18]
They change the color just for testing.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#19]
A good start. Getting the basics of a working environment...Keep at it.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#20]
I am curious, what do you use for lighting ? Subdivided meshes and vertex lighting or texels lighting with lightmaps ?
If you use texels lighting with lightmaps, i am curious how you plan to light a large scene with lightmap textures knowing how much vram they use ? What is the texel/lumel size in the world ?
From my tests, it seems that 1texel/lumel for 0.1unit looks good enough. What do you think ?

Thanks,

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#21]
RemiD,

I use the basic lights of Blitz3d. I just move the sun from east to west. Of course i set the AmbientLight to change the luminosity. There are one more light to make the city more realistic.

At the night i just define the blue value of rgb to get a real night feeling.

Thanks Steve Elliott! :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#22]
I was talking about the lights of the street lamps.
Here :

and here :

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#23]
Ah, ok... Those lights are spotlight pointed to the ground. Of course i had to create a function to check the number of lights that are able to appear on the scene, because of the limits of the "blitz3d engine" (directx... et cetera). I use similar logic for the citizens.

See you soon :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#24]

Those lights are spotlight pointed to the ground.

Ok.

Do some tries to subdivide (=more vertices and triangles) on the surfaces you want to light, you will see how the render looks better.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#25]
Great Tips. I will try it.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#26]
Nice work.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#27]
Work in Progress >> The terrain of the second island of the city is almost ready.

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#28]
Work in Progress >> The city is becoming dense. ;)

There is a lot of changes to do, of course. The leaves, the bushes... But the city is getting life! When ready I will add other details, like dirt, fallen leaves, tree shadows, benches, trash cans... :D

I have created a good and fast way of how to load the parts of the city mantaining the FPS to the max, and avoiding reach the limit of polygons or something. It is quite a laborious setting the type of the object and exporting the parts in 3D Studio Max, but there is no success without work. : D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#29]
Great work, very impressive looking so far.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#30]
Progressing nicely :)

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#31]
First test =]

http://youtu.be/vE7Ed0nROso

Crimson(Posted 2014) [#32]
wow. nice work!

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#33]
I'm preparing a video that show how the game engine loads the citizens.

=]

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#34]
Here is:

http://youtu.be/0xNK2DBVZr0

*(Posted 2014) [#35]
Nice would be good to see how it runs with 400+ poly animated characters :)

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#36]
I am trying to get the best low poly model. I am having some problems with it until now. Probably I will determinate realy basic 3d low-poly models, because I want a vivid city. So I will be able to show a lot of people. As i said before, the focus is not the graphics (incredible graphics), but the way all works. The sound, music, gameplay and the story will complement all the lack of polygons, i expect.

Thanks.
:)

*(Posted 2014) [#37]
Tbh even if you did the doom way where you had eight directional sprite characters it would work :)

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#38]
One more :P

http://youtu.be/5Lo_qH7jmD8

*(Posted 2014) [#39]
Much better :) looking more like GTA every day :)

vinnicius(Posted 2014) [#40]
The game is reaching a incredible level. So I'm planning to move the project to Unity3D. If I realy want a commercial game level, i have to make the right decisions.

But this is just a plan. I am testing some of the basic ideas into Unity3d at the moment. And I have got incredible results.

The main reason is that some elements must to be improved. I love programming in Blitz3d, but the Unity3d provides realistic lights and flexibility to edit and create my own functions and stuff. Everything will be improved.

I have certificate in game development and am also a business administrator. I'm programmer but mainly a Game Designer. So I have got a team that will join into this project. Some of them are professionals, and have a lot of knowledge in Java for example.

Please people, do not be disappointed. If I know something about game development is due to Blitz3d. I love this software.

I'll be back soon for more news.

Thank you all!