3d bottle

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/3d bottle

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]

Here's a little something I just knocked up in a few minutes. Nice looking cork and clear green contents.

No bitmaps used, all procedurally generated with the new materials.

Also note the nice shine.

Think I'm happy now

Lights next...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#2]
Nice and green. Is it Absinthe??

GSimms(Posted 2014) [#3]
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder :)

Stevie G(Posted 2014) [#4]
Maybe it's just me but the lighting and normals look all wrong?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#5]
the normals (far a change) are actually correct, but...
The cork is a completely different blend mode from the bottle itself.

The small reflections on the bottle are actually bump mapping and the bottle itself is a simple 8 sided (10 high) shape with an open bottom.

It's certainly not perfect by any means, but it is realtime (not rendered) and all written in BlitzMax :)

I should try and make some animated gifs to show it rotating, etc

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2014) [#6]
Impressive work on the engine, but have to agree with Stevie that something looks off. In particular-

-The single bright white tri on the lip of the bottle looks out of place
-The patch of very dark green winding up the centre of the bottle doesn't make topological sense to my brain

A couple of tweaks could really improve it.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#7]
All points taken :)
Images can be considered early dev, so any help/suggestions are really welcome.
Previously, the shown bottle was shown with the default renderer. this has now moved to a material based one. so without more fanfare, here is the same bottle (shown x4 with the same lighting), but with different materials used. This hopefully shows things a bit better?

There are more images and details of the ongoing trials of materials, 3d, engines, etc at my blog:
http://vjointeractive.wordpress.com

Stevie G(Posted 2014) [#8]
It still doesn't look right to me - how are you calculating the normals? Is the model sharing vertices? If so, would probably look much better triangles unwelded and normals calculated on a per triangle basis.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#9]
ok, the normals are being calculated per triangle (in the shader) into screen normals - I've checked and they are all ok.
If you have a way of smoothing normals in the shader I'm all ears :)

here is the base model with a the light from the camera and light being reflected:

And here with the faux glass blend mode:

And here with alpha applied to the colours, and double sided rendering: