first attempt at low poly character

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/first attempt at low poly character

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]
Here's my initial attempt to replicate the original 2d graphics in 3d

the face has a texture map with the eyes on it, so it looks very similar.

Lots of work to be done, including updating the 3d package to support bones and other such nasties.

Long, and tiresome...

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]

Lots of work to be done, including updating the 3d package to support bones and other such nasties.

I know what you mean, ideas are easy, implementation takes time, motivation, efforts !

Wait you only have made a low tris character, later you will need to create the skeleton with joints, then add more vertices (and triangles) near the articulations so that you can animate the body parts without deforming the mesh too much, then skin it, then animate it. The good thing is that in your game the camera is far from the character so you will not need to spend too much time tweaking the skinning or the animations.

I like the shades in the hair.

Good luck for the next steps !

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#3]
[quote]I like the shades in the hair.

Good luck for the next steps ! [/quote
Thanks for that, it can be a long process coming up with everything from scratch.
I'm going to ignore skin and deformation initially and only deal with basic rotation, so it should be a more simple process - and simpler to start with :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#4]
Started updating Rameses. This is hard.
Had to get pen an paper and sketch out how bones work and how they should work, how they relate when viewed in a list. my head hurts - lol

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#5]
Take a look at this example i posted earlier :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=102259
post #81 and post #82
It may help you to understand how it works.
You can use the demo of Blitz3d and the demo of Fragmotion to analyze the mesh and how it works.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#6]
I'm BlitzMax so B3d won't help in this case.

I know what I'm doing, the main headache is trying to visualise the internal structure and how best to display that in the UI (you won't really ever deal with is programatically).

In essence you add a bone - it is displayed in the ui, and also can be seen in the object list as a bone object.

In the bone list (which only deals with bones), any new bones will appear at the top of the list (you can rename a bone in either the object list or bone list at any time).

The bone list also has a single Root entry

To connect bones, just select the root (or bone) and click link visible bones). the ui should take care of everything else.

Rotation, keyframe, etc will be handled later

I'm still working out what I feel is the best way of doing things for me :)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2014) [#7]
Mr. Strange,

What software are you using to build the character?
I've looked into Blender last year, and it has amazing tutorials on building low-poly characters, plus at least 3 dvds that you can purchase for $30.00 - $50.00 bucks a piece!

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#8]
What software are you using to build the character?

Hi Amanda, I'm using my own software (Rameses):

I've added the prototype bone and am working my way through IK, linking now:

I used to use 3dsMax when I was on PC. Tried Blender, but couldn't deal with the UI so made my own one.

TBH I find that the bigger 3d packages take an age to load and are very low poly unfriendly.