Star Rogue (monkey game)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Star Rogue (monkey game)

*(Posted 2014) [#1]
Its a coming together real nice now

PLEASE NOTE:
This project has gone 2d and is being coded in monkey

Matty(Posted 2014) [#2]
I like the ship design. Not much else to say yet as not much else to see.

*(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ah erm

and

on the while the game is moving forwards nicely :)

degac(Posted 2014) [#4]
I'm awaiting to see it in action!
And yes, the spaceship is well designer (maybe some light/fx for engine and so on!)
A little bit 'old school' (ala Frontier)
I will choose a more readable font: well 'integrated' with the spirit of the game, but no good for my eyes! (or just put an option to allow the choice!)

*(Posted 2014) [#5]
There is a old WIP demo over at http://www.edzup.co.uk/images/starrogue.zip

it will allow ya to get an idea of how it would look, i still gotta add npcs and space stations to the mix (real life is sucking time like nobody's business) :)

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#6]
Which will get released first: Star Rogue or Red Oktober's Sub game? :cD

*(Posted 2014) [#7]
Well the game itself is a rerelease of sf2000 which i have the ideas and data for :)

its slow going though what with all the real life issues.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#8]
Very interesting to see a 3D-ish game emerging from Monkey. This thickens the plot..

*(Posted 2014) [#9]
@degac: i will change the font to a more readable one Lol :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#10]
Honestly, i find the background really ugly, you may want to add more shades so that it does not look like a big splash.

The other weird thing is the blending of the suns/stars, it looks as if the mesh has a variable alpha but the texture has not a variable alpha and consequently there is no progressive transparency from the center to the exterior. I think that's because the images of your suns/stars are badly made (no progressive alpha for the pixels) or you have not chosen the appropriate blend mode for the texture.

For the rest it looks good enough for me, well done.

*(Posted 2014) [#11]
@RemiD:Yeah the textures and media are 14 years old so they are due an update i just wanted to get the game mechanics together then go from there, on the whole im not looking to recreate x3 or crysis all I want is a updated sf2000 which im creating :) Graphically its not top notch but thanks to Adam it works even on my eeepc 701SD :)

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#12]
I like the graphics. I would not like the looks of the game if it didn't look as it does now.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#13]
3d game in Monkey, is getting the creative juices going, nice work!

*(Posted 2014) [#14]
Adam has done a brilliant job porting minib3d over to monkey :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#15]
I'm defo getting my Monkey spinning up shortly...

*(Posted 2014) [#16]
Well I've finally got round to seeing about the Relative To function so we can see what we are nearby to, this function has two purposes one the user sees as the 'Relative to:...' The other hidden variable is the collision system ie when you get to close to something you will get injured by it. Unfortunately for the player the bigger the item the more damage so a missile could do a small amount but crashing into a asteroid probably isn't a good idea Lol.

*(Posted 2014) [#17]
Well the font has changed loads has gone on behind the scenes, I have now got it faster now and on the whole in happier with the current version than I have ever been. Only last night space stations made it to the mix and hopefully today I can add the sf2000 hyper tunnel, the generator changes allow for this to happen :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#18]
Have you managed to improve the blending of the textured meshes with alpha ? (for the suns/stars)
Does it look exactly the same on windows, on android ?

*(Posted 2014) [#19]
At the moment the textures are still the same, I will redo some of the graphics later after the initial version is released.

It looks and plays exactly the same apart from touch controls on tablets etc

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#20]

It looks and plays exactly the same apart from touch controls on tablets

Good, good.

*(Posted 2014) [#21]
Here is the hypertunnel in action, unfortunately it only takes less than a second to jump from one system to another on my 701SD 8Gb :)

The controls on the screen are for the tablet version and are only on screen for position and scaling testing, on desktop versions they will not be on there as keys etc will be available :)

Next up display modes :)

*(Posted 2015) [#22]
After having a look at the Unity system, the whole procedural texture system we have currently and the whole 2d vs 3d debate, we have decided to make the entire game 2d. Before ya gasp in horror the reasons for this are million fold as I will explain:

1) Star flight the game all this is based upon was top down 2d this is the art direction we are using now.

2) with 3d using the original system I could have -65535 to 65536 sectors of space on the x,y,z now this is big but some of the bigger systems are off scale and tend to look a little screwy.

3) system sizes have been increased to -2billion to 2billion on the x and y, if the project does go 3d eventually then it would be z as well.

4) already just last night I have coded infinite asteroids, nebulae, mine fields and open space areas this lends weight to the new huge system ideal.

5) flying off the outer edge of the system will now put you in interstellar space (original star flight) where you can navigate to another system or reenter your the last one.

6) jump gates will now transport you to another system in the game which could be anywhere on the game map, likewise wormholes just transport you to a sector x,y and a offset x,y so you could end up deep in interstellar space.

7) the galaxy map has changed to be like sf2000's where it was billions of sectors across, there will be predefined systems for each race but there will also be procedurally generated ones for the rest.

8) we have a system in place so you can build your ship from components so you can make it as fast or as armed as you like it this is also nice as we also want the player to be able to make their own components if they have the blueprints.

9) The whole project is being coded using monkey, it could have been Unity but monkey is very very lightweight for this sort of project and I don't need overbearing 3d for it at all just paste, move and rotate. I also have EdzUp framework for just this sort of game :)

As soon as I sort the nebula density I will post a screenshot atm it looks like we hit a really dense cloud :)

*(Posted 2015) [#23]
Here is the first images of the new engine in action

Entering a half density nebula (max density is very very thick)

And a asteroid field :) (alpha issues have already been fixed)

Finally open space

The first two images are at maximum zoom as well :)

What I'm gonna put in next is the star system loader then add more in from there till the game is complete :)

This is written in monkey too :)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2015) [#24]
what operating system are you using. I don't recognize any of the screen shots

Ked(Posted 2015) [#25]
Amanda, it looks like Ubuntu.

*(Posted 2015) [#26]
Ubuntu 14.10 but I can compile on windows too :)

Atm I have been flying around a test system in the local nebula, once I have all the other graphics for the system done I will post some more shots :)

*(Posted 2015) [#27]
It will play like a 2d frontier/starflight game where you can explore the whole universe :)

After the basic game is down I will be adding so much to it as time goes by :)

Here is the new Hayclon nebula

and a WIP station

finally here we have the biggest sun class in the game :D

all of this is at maximum zoom so you can get a idea of scale for all of the items currently in the game, once I complete the rest of Aradis I will put up a demo so everyone can test the game :)