Finished my website finally...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Finished my website finally...

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#1]
[NOSTALGIC-ALGORITHMS]

Let me know what you think. The background still needs work because it doesn't display correctly at lower resolutions. Everything is about 90% I still have to add more of my art and stuff.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#2]
yep, don't like the right handed menu though

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#3]
I had some concerns about it also. I will experiment adding a menu at the top or something to the left that will follow as you scroll.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Saw crap moving all over the screen, closed the tab and didn't click further. Wasn't a fan of 90s web design in the 90s and still not a fan almost 20 years later.

*edit* Did love the robot.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#5]
I like the intro, I think you should keep it.

I'd tweak the floating numbers to go behind the text & graphics and not above them, though.
I'd also tweak the sound to loop better: there's this more aggressive sound coming on later and it stops in the middle. It should be something that loops seamlessly.

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#6]
Unless you can be sure your site will not be wider than the client's screen, you can't put the menu on the right. On my tablet I didn't even realize there was a menu at first. It was off the right side and I had to scroll.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
"Could not load VLC web plugin" at the top of the screen -- not sure if I'm missing anything, but do see the black/green animated binary stuff on the landing page.

(From a usability point of view though, what does an animated landing page with no content actually add to the website?)

Also, on the news page it shows two large empty black boxes, I'm assume it should be showing photos in there or something? If so, it's not happening on my PC. Windows, Chrome)

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#8]
Splash screens are 90's? Didn't realize that. I shrank the music file down from 4 megs to 978kb and added in a fade out with some silence so it should be smooth now. I think you need quicktime or vlcplayer installed for the sound to work but I'm looking for a way to remove that requirement.

The navigation menu will get moved to the left or resigned to be at the top of the screen instead. The black pictures are place holders for media I've yet to upload. The Jaguar robot will be replaced with my own model or replaced with a face of Maria from the 1927 movie Metropolis.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
Splash screens are 90's? Didn't realize that. I shrank the music file down from 4 megs to 978kb and added in a fade out with some silence so it should be smooth now

Yes, both splash screens and background music are early 90s, and a bit of a geocities flashback. (so is using a black background, for that matter)

FYI:
http://fourtothe4.com/2012/5-reasons-your-website-should-never-autoplay-sound/

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#10]
Splash screens are 90's? Didn't realize that.

I made no comment on the splash screen itself, but yes splash screens are a thing of the past. The only thing a splash screen does is serve as a road block your visitor has to go through to get to your actual site.

My previous comment was solely about the text flying around the screen. Flying text/images are 90s cheese.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#11]
I thought the numbers flying effect was quite passive. I tried to stay away from anything flash related. My entire theme is entirely based around nostalgia so maybe this isn't a bad thing necessarily? But yeah I don't want my site compared to something on geoshities lol.

I love cheese. :)

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#12]
I thought the numbers flying effect was quite passive.

Migraine inducing for me, so I avoid sites with stuff flying around.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#13]
What if they flowed downward like in the matrix and a bit slower?

Mustang(Posted 2013) [#14]
Matrix is so... used. And never-ever put "under construction" images on website - add new sections (like forums) the they are actually DONE :)

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#15]
Okay I took a fair bit of the advice given and re-tweaked the website. The text should be a lot easier to read and I moved the navigation to the left side. You need a minimum of a 1024 wide resolution for it display correctly. Everyone should be running much higher than this today so I think this is a safe design.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#16]
Everyone should be running much higher than this today so I think this is a safe design.

Some mobile users will have less than that.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#17]
I thought most dumb phones errrr smart phones where much higher than that? I wouldn't really know since all my phones have always been complete crap and cheap. According to google 1024x768 is still really popular. Wow...... REALLY?

I will have to work on having the website behave like a liquid layout but I think it's a big improvement from my last update. Appreciate all the advice and tips everyone. :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#18]
You still got some serious issues with the menu.
its on the left but shoved hard over only partially showing the text.
so the menu reads:
ews
out
mes
rum
nks
act

I had a look at the code and there is nothing wrong with the html. So I dived into the css - BINGO.
You are hard coding the widths into everything - this is not good practice because you can't predict what resolution people will look at the site on (as said above).
You should really be coding for a minimum viewing of 800x600 with everything else flowing if viewed at a greater resolution.

The one thing you should NEVER do is hard code a website size. it should flow. one way to achieve this would be to hard code the menu size and let the main area be unknown or size not by px but by %

Matty(Posted 2013) [#19]
If I could add my comments -

I couldn't quite work out what the general 'product' 'theme' 'idea' was that was being pushed with this website....seemed to be some kind of general sci fi and/or game appreciation website...I just couldn't quite place what its purpose is?

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#20]
@AdamStrange
You're absolutely correct. I didn't realize having the site fixed would cause so many issues. I will change the template to a liquid layout. I think having the navigation fixed and the content area scale will work out just fine.

@Matty
I still have a lot of add. Basically its my personal place to showcase my ideas for games and technology I'm involved with. Some of my hobbies include messing around with old VR hardware and 3d printers. At one time I planed on doing retro reviews of my favorite PC games from the 1990 - 2000 era but so many have been done to death I dropped the idea. I'm a recent graduate with a degree in game design so my focus for the website is to show off my portfolio. A vast majority of my material is still offline but that will change within the next few weeks.

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#21]
Liked the site, especially this page: http://www.nostalgicalgorithms.com/forum.php

The menues should be reachable all times imho. How about using frames?

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#22]
@Grisu
I don't have the funds yet to purchase the forum software. I decided to not use free solutions because they are far less secure. I hope your joking about using frames because they never work right. If frames weren't so problematic they would be great!

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#23]
you know, I don't know what all the bother about frames is. I've never had a problem with them working on any platform. But there does seem to be a web backlash against them

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2013) [#24]
Trying not sound too harsh but:

I would lose the splash screen it's ugly and confusing.

If you want a good, free forums setup phpbb, it will impress people way more than "Under Construction", nobody uses that any more.

Your main project, Colony 7 was started in 2010, and it's current status is Alpha, given the shots provided I would also not describe it as an "AAA" title, I've seen similar screenshots in games produced over 15 years ago, so calling it "AAA" makes you look naive.

Your Ninja link is broken.

I would remove the odd picture of yourself with a cig in hand, he other two kind of work but the third one doesn't.

Unless you have real news to post regularly I wouldn't bother having a news page, also nobody reads these any. If you want to do social networking, sign up for facebook and twitter, try to get a good price for your privacy.

I would think about what you want, are you really after a micro blog, a project website or something else.

Darkheart

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#25]
@Darkheart
Not harsh at all I appreciate the honesty. Its difficult criticizing your own work so the constructive feedback has been most helpful. Perhaps I launched the site too early before I had all my content freshened out and ready to show. The idea was the lay down the framework and then improve it as needed.

Regarding my Colony 7 project. The game has a very detailed design document and a 15 minute animated intro that took me 2 months to prepare. It may look retro but it's a work in progress. When I stated the title is AAA my meaning was that is will contain my best work. I've kept the details surrounding the project slim because I'm still in the process of trademarking the material. I expect the final results to look as polished as something like Battlezone 2. Which still looks good even today. The game has had a very unique development cycle. It started out as 2 different mods but as I continued developing the story I decided to make it a stand alone title. It took me about a year to learn the tools needed for the job. Up until last year I could barely make textures, knew nothing of 3d modeling, programing, or designing a game other than the story. Please understand that the Alpha means exactly that, rough versions of the game content is used as place holders. The terrain and models are not representative of the final product. Getting things to work correctly is the biggest step because the art assets I know I can create at any time. Although they will take the longest to perfect.

Gameplay is was matters to me most. Oh and I'm holding sunglasses in that picture because I've been smoke free for 8 years.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#26]
The left-hand menu items shift up/down as I point on them, in Chrome. There's a typo on the Links page.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#27]
Looks like I have a lot more work to do bullet proofing the template for each browser. Are you using the latest version of chrome?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#28]
I think so. It's version 27.0.1453.116 m.