Hexgaon - How to snap?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Hexgaon - How to snap?

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#1]
I just tried out Hexagon for the first time. A real nice alternative to both Maya/Max considering it's FREE!

I have one simple question. I cannot live without the SNAP feature, I have the option "ticked" but its not working? It's driving me bonkers can anyone help? A modeling program without the snap feature is one I cannot use!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
Sorry for stealing your thread, but How is Hexagon compared to blender?

azrak(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hexagon have many bugs and may crash . i don't recommend it anyone..
Use blender.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
That is good advice. I downloaded and tried it (Mac version) and it isn't very user friendly.
Now let's get back to solving NostalgicAlgorithms' snapping problem. ;)

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#5]
Download Hexagon months ago. So I finally got round to installing it and it took me less the 10 minutes to figure out how to snap vertex,edge and polygon snapping.

Unlike the high end 3D tools there's appears to be no automatic snapping when moving vertex,edge or polygons along the 3D plains. By this there's no point to edge etc.

To do snapping first set the snap method by clicking on the icon at bottom indicated by a cube+magnet (e.g points).
Next select what part type of the geometry you wish to snap from the modifier icons at the top (e.g points).
Next select the point you wish to snap.
Now Under the Utilities tab there is a tool called snap/align indicated by a icon with two cubes+line. Selecting this changes the mouse cursor to a circle. Holding shift will show a cross hair on the nearest point near the mouse cursor.
Now shift click the point that was previously selected and at the side of the cursor you will see some writing asking for the end.
Now shift click the point where you would like the selected point to snap to.

All snapping to the grid is when you set the display snap this indicated by a grid+magnate icon at the bottom. Then every thing will snap to what ever the resolution the grid is unless your using the snap/align with the shift key.

There's one thing I have learned over the last few years is that if you want good results use one of the high-end 3D solutions. Blender is ok but lacks many of the features that the professional tools like Max,Maya and Cinema4D take for granted and there's less chance any thing breaking for example painting on layered images which looks like it's broken on the latest version of blender.

Last edited 2012

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks! Honestly I prefer Maya for character design and Max for level design. For some reason Maya just feels easier to make things like organic shapes but Max is perfect for more mechanical things hence the engineering roots of the program. I don't believe either tool was specifically designed for game design, the only reason I looked into Hexagon because it was free and I wanted something more lightweight for this old shuttle PC I'm using. Every week I bounce between 3 different machines with my work so I'm always try new software if it can speed up my work flow.

As for stability I've not had a single crash with Hexagon?

I've been warned repeatedly to stay way from blender. Many so called industry professional's seem to scoff at it despite some really amazing work created with it. After learning Maya/Max I don't think it would benefit me to switch now.

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#7]
I've been warned repeatedly to stay way from blender. Many so called industry professional's seem to scoff at it despite some really amazing work created with it. After learning Maya/Max I don't think it would benefit me to switch now.
Before blender 2.5 I would whole heartedly a agree with them. The new interface is a big improvement, but blender still has away to go before it can play with the big boys.
I use Cinmea4D Studio (all editions have Bodypaint3D as standard) which you can change about 98% of the user interface to maximise work flow. Using Cinema4D along with Photoshop, ZBrush, UVLayout and Ultimate Unwrap3D you can just about tackle anything.

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#8]
Concerning Cinmea4d I almost never hear anything negative about it? At my school they just made the switch a few years back. My teacher ended up giving me all the old C4d books because they didn't need them anymore. I only poked around them curiously but never tried the program. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it better suited for movies and animation as opposed to game design?

I've heard of Ultimate Unwrap3d but what is UVlayout? Does Cinema 4d have no built in solution for the task of UV mapping?

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#9]
Cinema4D is mainly used in the T.V. and film industry and from what I've heard versions 11+ have been used in a few games for modelling, animation and level design plus since python script was added it's become more flexible. It also looks like it works well with Unity3D.
The only reason I can think of why it won't be used extensively in the game industry is that Max is king and it wouldn't make financial sense to switch even if Cinema was aimed at game development.

Cinema4D does have a good built in UV solution but doesn't give you the ability to lock individual UV shells which can a pain when you are trying to optimise the UV to give you the maximum texture space. For example if two sides of the model are the same then it makes sense for the UV's to share the same texture space, but if you then use the realign tool which packs the UV's it will separates the UV shells.

UVLayout is a standalone program that was specifically designed to handle UV's and the pro version can possibly do the job much better than all those built in solutions that you find in many of the top program's. There is another UV tool out there called Road Kill that's free but I've never used it.
I tend to use Ultimate Unwrap more as a file converter due to the number it supports than a tool for UV layouts as I've found it takes more time to do the UV's with it than it would if I used a combination of Cinema4D and UVLayout.

Last edited 2012

Alberto(Posted 2013) [#10]
It (Cinema4d) also looks like it works well with Unity3D

I thought that there are many flaws
Is anybody here using Cinema4d on extensive basis with Unity ?

What about Carrara 8.5 ?
It is as user friendly as Cinema4D at half price
Does the FBX exporter work with Unity ?

Alberto(Posted 2013) [#11]
Cinema4D is mainly used in the T.V. and film industry

uhmmm...just because of its name "Cinema" , I suppose
As a matter of fact all high end 3d packages have been designed for film industry
They are absolutely redundant for games, particularly at an Indie and hobbyest level
A gane programmer can exploit let's say 10-15 % of their power

Should game hobbyest/Indie game developers take rational rather than emeotional decision then they should go for MilkShape or fragmotion
These simple packages target our application

Game programmer game comunity let these tiny diamonds die (see Milkshape and pace maker ) or slow upgrading ( see Fragmotion) and no new competitors
while a monster such as Blender is still alive and well
It is a shame