Runtime World 3D world editor

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Runtime World 3D world editor

Bad Sector(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

I've just registered the forums after learning about BlitzPlus and deciding to try it out (mostly for fun). Then i decided to see what people talk about here and noticed this subforum.

I've made a small open source tool that might be of interest to people making 3D levels for games called "Runtime World". It is a brush-oriented 3D world editor similar to Hammer, QuakeEd, BSP and other tools but also supports negative brushes, areas and a bunch of other stuff. Also it has an integrated (albeit a bit slow) lightmapper with multithreading, vertex lighting for static meshes and indirect lighting support.

The tool is open source under zlib and written in Lazarus and FreePascal. It isn't designed for any specific engine, but custom engines can load the rtw files it produces. The editor comes with C and Java example code, but i've also used it with C# code (which i plan to clean up and supply with the editor at some point). I'm not sure if BlitzPlus can do 3D (i haven't tried it yet) but if it can, i'll try and implement a loader/viewer for it too.

You can find Runtime World here:
http://chiselapp.com/user/badsector/repository/rtworld/home

This Minus gallery has a bunch of (mostly development) screenshots which show Runtime World's various features:
http://badsector.minus.com/mMhg91zP9

Keep in mind that Runtime World is currently in alpha stage and since i have little free time the development is slow. However it is something i'm working on since almost 2007 (i've rewritten it a couple of times though) so it won't go away.

I hope you find it useful :-)

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
That sounds awesome. This will probably be of great interest to a number of people. Thanks for making it available!

I'm not sure if BlitzPlus can do 3D (i haven't tried it yet) but if it can, i'll try and implement a loader/viewer for it too.

Not built-in (that's the main difference between it and Blitz3D), but it can plug engines in afterwards, and access OpenGL directly. Should be able to translate your "viewer.c" to it with a bit of work.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Omg, the lightmaps are incredible. Thanks for sharing.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#4]
interesting.

I've been working with minib3d+monkey, i may take a look at this since it seems like a capable level editor. I was eyeing Ogitor (ogre3d editor) to do this as well.

thanks for sharing.