A fantastic 2D game animation tool.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/A fantastic 2D game animation tool.

Mike@Holymonketstudio(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi everyone,

This is Mike at Brashmonkey.com
The beta version of our all new Spriter, a highly optimized 2D game animation tool, is finally available. What makes it special is it's specifically for creating animations for games!

Kickstarter Page!

It doesn't just export sequential images of full frames, it can also export the actual animation data in XML format, so game engines can recreate all the animations using just the original source images (like body parts) thereby saving massive amounts of VRAM and disk space. It will also support tons of game specific features, like visually placing unlimited collision rectangles per frame (with names and numeric values for each!), unlimited action points per frame, unlimited named variables can be changed per frame, and sound effects can be triggered per frame. It also supports an awesome feature called “Character Maps” which lets you show, hide, or replace images from specific folders on the fly to make game features like customizable character appearance and changes in weapons, armor, etc super easy and efficient.

Please check out the Kickstarter page to learn more and for the link to download the free beta version.
We'd love your feedback, suggestions, and support so we can make Spriter hands down the ultimate 2D game animating tool.

Thank you very much.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Off topic but you name says holymonketstudio, which is a bit wrong,

therevills(Posted 2012) [#3]
I've just had a quick play with it and it has got potential... I played with the sample guy.

* Any plans to add bones to Spriter?

* I was altering just the front arm and I had a few frames done, then I started the back arm - the problem here was that I did one frame of the back arm, moved to the next frame and the arm had reset to the first frame position instead of the frame postion I had just done

* Export to png didnt seem to work (I know its a beta ;))

* Are you going to create a BlitzMax module for Spriter? Or have some reference material on how to use the XML correctly?

Last edited 2012

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you'll have a blitmax and a monkey module, you've got a supporter!
(Specially if the $25 pledge could be swapped from construct plugin to bmax + monkey)

Quick question: why it doesn't use the regular windows interface?
(and I know it's beta... but it ran reaaally slow on my system :P)

Last edited 2012

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#5]
I was interested so I tried the demo but this happen :

Just because My default 3D settings are set to performance rather than Quality. So huge 3D texture compression. Maybe you should override the default parameters in this case.

I'm under Windows Seven, drivers are up-to-date, most recent MacBook Air (bootcamp) Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#6]
I've just finished converting (well nearly) the LibGdx version (http://www.badlogicgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3863) of the Spriter Import for Monkey:

http://www.therevillsgames.com/monkey/Spriter/MonkeyGame.html

Its not 100%, but it works...

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2709#27437

Last edited 2012

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#7]
This looks more like vector graphics than sprites. I don't see pixels!

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#8]
I almost forgot about this little gem.
@NostalgicAlgorithms: Your pixels are in the images you supply to make up each part of the sprite. Though I'm not to keen on how you select the size of the sprite when you export it.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#9]
Sorry, double post

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#10]
Can't believe I missed this, downloading now, the UI looks great.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#11]
yea i downloaded the demo.
so fantastic they didnt consider to put an example file