Difference between .3ds and .b3d

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Difference between .3ds and .b3d

Makis(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi
What is the difference,advantages and disadvantages of .3ds and .b3d file formats?
Thanks

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#2]
I think.....When come Textures...it automatic texture on .B3D where on .3DS...you have put texture on them manual when come to coding I think......I could be wrong though

Drak(Posted 2012) [#3]
.3ds files don't contain bones, so you can only use them for unanimated props such as scenery or buildings. If you want to use boned animations for characters or npcs you'll need to use .B3d files that support the bones.

Almost every modeler out there will export to .3ds, but none will export to .b3d without special plug-ins. There is a very simple way around this, though. What I do for animated characters is model the character and export the file in .3ds format. Then I use Pacemaker, which is free, to animate the model and export it in the .b3d format. Pacemaker is free and cn be found in the Toolbox section of this site. (You can also load in static meshes in pacemaker and export them as .b3d files if you'd like to keep them all the same.)

Drak(Posted 2012) [#4]
Oh and as far as the textures go, I believe Hotshot said it backwards. You can texture your model in any modeler and export it as .3ds, and when loaded it will automatically load the textures onto the model, so long as the textures are in the same directory as the model.

Makis(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks guys!

Matty(Posted 2012) [#6]
3ds does not have a 2nd uv channel which is often used for lightmapping, b3d does.

Makis(Posted 2012) [#7]
Which is the best format to use then?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#8]
B3D

Because you dont have mess about coding on texture for 3DS but if that doesnt bother ya then both of them even thought 3DS as you have code manual for Texuring them!

Makis(Posted 2012) [#9]
Thanks for the info lads.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
3DS also doesn't store vertex normals, so it's not very good for models with hard edges unless you have either high poly count or separate surfaces for each hardedged area. (Or you correct the normals after loading.)

This is the reason for older low-poly models loading in B3D with weird dark streaks down the sides.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#11]
(hmm, new comment to a very old reply).

@Yasha's: That would explain why my building, that I created in Sketchup 8 Pro , exported to .3DS, imported into 3dsMax 9 and exported from there to .B3D is looking so crappy in Blitz3D!!

It's giving me all kind of weird distortions: e.g. sharp edged square columns with now unsharp corners and weird artefact shadings on surfaces.

Anybody still has an .B3D exporter for Sketchup??
I just love it's sheer simplicity /speed for designing buildings.
Or perhaps an alternative method that actually does work?

Strugling for few weeks to get this perfect now. Trying to create an indoor shooter.

Help please.

Thanks in advance.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#12]

It's giving me all kind of weird distortions: e.g. sharp edged square columns with now unsharp corners and weird artefact shadings on surfaces.

I have had a similar problem when using .b3d meshes expoted by 3D World Studio.
It is not necessarily that Vertices Normals are not exported, it may also be that some vertices are duplicated and thus it creates a partial flat shaded appearance.

A solution i have found is to create 2 functions :
One function to calculate the vertices normals to have a flatshaded shading.
One function to calculate the vertices normals to have a progressive shading.

You might be interested by this :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2176
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=975

Or you can use Fragmotion to weld the duplicated vertices.