Alt blender ?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Alt blender ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
is there another alternative to blender ? I am looking for something that's a lot like 3DS MAx but not with the thousands of pounds price tag.

I tried blender and managed to make a few models with it, but I find it extremely complicated , and alien to what I see as an intuitive UI.

so looking for a modeller that can also handle UVmapping and open source or with a low price tag.

Leon Drake(Posted 2011) [#2]
have you tried checking on ebay, sometimes you can find legit older version of 3ds max on sale for dirt cheap.

Leon Drake(Posted 2011) [#3]
e.g.

this is going right now for $25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autodesk-3DS-Max-2011-100-GENUINE-3-Years-License-/140593589758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc07edfe#ht_1168wt_1139

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
is there another alternative to blender ?
Gouging out your own eyes with a teaspoon is a close alternative to using blender.

But seriously, have a look around fleaBay. Even something as ancient as 3DS Max 4 would do the job and can be had for cheap these days. Probably won't work in Windows 7, though.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#5]
Carrara3D 8 Pro is what I use and it's a gem. It's sort of inbetween Cinema4D and 3D Studio Max i.e. it does more than the job and is a professional grade 3D Solution.

I also use Hexagon 2.5 for all my modelling, again this is sold by the guys who made Carrara: Daz3d.com.

And the price is exceptionally good for both apps considering what they are capable of.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#6]
OH MAX 4, that's just reminded me that I had a student copy of max there is a slim chance it might be up my loft in my old laptop back still will need to get the ladders out and have a look for it.

Never dawned on me to use an older version, still does the job.

Alberto(Posted 2012) [#7]
Amon

Can Carrara 8 succesfully export animated FBX files to Unity ?
I have Carrara 7 Pro but the I/0 FBX module is buggy
Also I can not import 3d model from Poser 8, textures are messy
There is also a minor flaw , bones are hardly visible
any improvement in version 8 ?

A part from that I agree with you
Well, I am a poor artist but I can not really see why you must pay 4k usd for MAX
On the other hand ,Blender is f.o.c, ok, but IMHO it muat have been developed by twisted minded guys
Using Carrara you dont have even to read the manual, everything being intuitive
A possible alternative for Taiphoz are the evergreen Milkshape and fragmotion
In practice they are suitable for 90 % of Indie games

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#8]
Silo
Hexagon
3D Coat
Sculptris
Wings 3D

Modo (not cheap)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
i.e. Messiah 3D

Alberto(Posted 2012) [#10]
Messiah is not a modeller just an animator
However I would be interested to know whether people are happy with it
Version 5.0 has been offered for a very cheap promotional price , thus it must have a large audience, I suppose
I purchased it, never used
For sure it is powerful , should it be even user friendly , Messiah is definitely the way to go to create animations

Russell(Posted 2012) [#11]
To be honest I haven't liked Blender...until now. The latest version, 2.61, has a vastly improved UI and includes some exciting features like fluid and hair simulation, choice of several renderers (most are free) and is really worth a second look. This version even has motion tracking (although it is a work in progress for now).

Russell

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#12]
Messiah 3d is a steal, very powerful. Sometimes the interface won't work, has problems with tablets, but overall amazing and probably the best product for 3d animating.

Blender's UI has improved, but I still find it hard to model vertices with.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hexagon is free at the moment, but I would highly reccommend sticking with blender.. (use the video tutorials! there is loads of them and quickly make it look easier to use)
It is like some kind of odd food, if and when you get past the weird taste you might actually like it. (and it can do everything you require above).

It is an extremely powerful and capable program.

Last edited 2012