Dare to share

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Dare to share

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#1]
http://projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

degac(Posted 2011) [#2]
Well if I understood correctly... the price is $10 IF (a big IF) they reach a certain level of orders.

you can purchase them normally HERE -> Buy Normal, and if the goal is met from this offer, you will be refunded the difference in price between the equivalent version you purchased

So - technically - you pay NOW 400$, and if and then the goal is met, they refund you the difference...
Sure the program is targeted for professional use and its price is 'correct', but this is an 'unfair' advertising...

PS: maybe I'm wrong, and I've misunderstood their offer.

edit:
I just clicked the 'buy button' to see the PayPal order; the amount is only $10,00... so I'm lost?!?

Last edited 2011

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#3]
Everyone can only receive their license when the goal is met. That's your incentive to spread the word and share the offer.

If you need to purchase licenses of the software to use right now for a project, you can purchase them normally HERE -> Buy Normal, and if the goal is met from this offer, you will be refunded the difference in price between the equivalent version you purchased, and the Dare To Share™ special.

The way I read it, if they reach their goal, you get the software, otherwise not. But you can pay the full price for the software and IF they reach the goal, you get a refund.

Kirkkaf(Posted 2011) [#4]
The way I understood this is you either pay $10 or $40 depending on what version you want and you will only recieve your licence once their goal is met. (if it's never met you won't ever recieve your licence and would of lost either $10 or $40).

It also gives you the choice to purchase the licence for the normal price if you need it for a project now. Then refunding you once the target is made.

okee(Posted 2011) [#5]
Just think of the months of planning that went into
that stupid piece of marketing.

Dwapook(Posted 2011) [#6]
Eh.. It says you get a refund if their goal isn't met.. Eh, thanks.. I put my money down, I don't mind the wait.. I'm too busy to get involved with the program for a while anyway..

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#7]
It's not complicated... you pay a low price, if they get enough uptake, you will receive your product fairly soon, if not, they refund your money.

Sounds like a good idea to me, and the customers will help you advertise as they are incentivised to do so.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2011) [#8]
So this isn't a scam or anything, right?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#9]
My first reaction is that it's very poor marketing. They want the sales and publicity that comes from selling at a very low price point, but they want to cancel the deal if they don't make enough money from it. That needlessly complicates the deal (as demonstrated by the various different interpretations evident from this page alone) and discourages people from buying. So however many they sell, it'll be a lot less than they could have sold if they had the cajones to do it properly.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#10]
So however many they sell, it'll be a lot less than they could have sold if they had the cajones to do it properly.

yep, It would have been better if they'd said, first x number of copies sold gets it for $10/$40. with a countdown of the number of copies left

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#11]
having said that, I've paid for it

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#12]
yep, It would have been better if they'd said, first x number of copies sold gets it for $10/$40. with a countdown of the number of copies left
That doesn't really work though, does it? If they only sell a few copies, they are out of pocket. The whole point is that they give you a good deal in return for a high volume sale.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#13]
I suppose

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#14]
So is it any good? Is a 3D modeller part of the package?

6(Posted 2011) [#15]
Seems pretty good value to me if we reach the goal, so I bought into it.

JKP(Posted 2011) [#16]
I have also bought this and can confirm that I only paid $40 at the checkout.

degac(Posted 2011) [#17]
@JKP

Do you have the full licence so?
Do you have installed the program, or you need to wait the countdown to get it?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#18]
So is it any good? Is a 3D modeller part of the package?

Animation and rendering only, as far as I can determine. I think you'd still need a good modeller. I may have to dig that Silo license out.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#19]
How many 'reduced' licenses do people have to take up before the goal is met?

What is the time limit on the offer... a week? a month?

The pessimistic in me thinks that the progress bar will go right up next to the goal then, wallop, offer ended... Then, people who can afford this software may go 'mmmm, I'll buy it anyway!'... Thus, securing a few customers at the cost of a bit of HTML!

Nice idea really!

Dabz

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#20]
The pessimistic in me thinks that the progress bar will go right up next to the goal then, wallop, offer ended... Then, people who can afford this software may go 'mmmm, I'll buy it anyway!'... Thus, securing a few customers at the cost of a bit of HTML!

Surely that's the cynic in you, the pessimist is probably thinking, I bet it'll go right up to 99% and then no-one else will buy

6(Posted 2011) [#21]
How many 'reduced' licenses do people have to take up before the goal is met?

Not sure, but just after I put down the $40 for a licence yesterday the progress bar was at 25%. Just had a look now and its at 36% so we're 1/3 of the way there.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#22]
What is the time limit on the offer... a week? a month?

They do seem to have gone to the Humpty Dumpty School of Marketing, don't they? "It means whatever we say it means."

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#23]

Surely that's the cynic in you, the pessimist is probably thinking

pessimist or cynic... Both mean miserable [BEEEEP]! ;)

Dabz

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#24]
41%

JKP(Posted 2011) [#25]
Personally I can't see them backing out of this one since it would be bad publicity. Looking over the internet it looks like an awful lot of people are buying it and some are buying 2 or more licenses. Also they would surely lose out if they have to refund people due to all the transaction fees etc.

That's not to say that the 'Goal' is necessarily a fixed amount/number though. Maybe they already sold more than they were expecting but would rather carry on and see how many more sales they can get.

Ultimately I expect that they will release a new version in a few months time with some great new features (e.g. built in modeller) and people will be enticed into upgrading. This would generate even more income for them making the whole 'Dare to Share' thing very profitable.

[edit]Nearly 75% now. Get it while you still can![/edit]

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

matty47(Posted 2011) [#26]
Well it looks like it's close to 75%. I opted in - seems I should not be able to lose...........

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#27]
now 80%

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#28]
I opted in too, i went with the linux/wine pro version, seems well worth it.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#29]
Bought & shared, the Pro version of course!

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#30]
91%

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#31]
9 percentiles to go.... Woo Hoo! How can you tell its progress to the 100 percentage?

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#32]
Woo Hoo! How can you tell its progress to the 100 percentage?

The progress bar image has a percentage value for it's width.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#33]
@Perturbatio - can't believe I missed the progress bar yesterday - I suspect it might vary depending on what browser.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#34]
It's done. You got in just in time, Blitzplotter.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#35]
8 hours left!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#36]
They have set a timelimit now "to allow for people who had trouble connecting or ordering"... well I decided to get it to... great marketing!!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#37]
@Gabriel - Yay!

lo-tekk(Posted 2011) [#38]
Congratulations !
We Dared. You Shared. You won.
February 14th 2011
114 Countries. 35,000 hits. 103,000 combined views...

Hurray!

matty47(Posted 2011) [#39]
Just wondering if anyone has actually received any notification re how to get their copy now that the DTS has been reached.................

therevills(Posted 2011) [#40]
Due to the overwhelming response, we are in the process of updating the license system to better automate the management of everyone generating their licenses. We have a 3 day delay in finalizing the transactions, and downloading them into the system. We hope to have license generation up by Saturday or perhaps sooner. You will be getting an email to the email address you provided paypal when you purchased, that will contain the url and login info to generate your license for your purchase or purchases(if you did them in more than one transaction).

So hopefully we'll hear over the weekend :)

Yan(Posted 2011) [#41]
The whole interweb hoo-ha surrounding this offer, somehow, made me think of this. Can't think why... ;op

**(Mild) Bad Language Warning**

GfK(Posted 2011) [#42]
I wonder why even though the offer has "officially ended", you can still buy it for $10/$40?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#43]
Still waiting....

Pax(Posted 2011) [#44]
Received email from Pmg today. License can be locked to usb drive or machine locked. Have fun guys!

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#45]
So is it good? Everyone glad they got in on the deal?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#46]
I'm still waiting on the email from pmg...

Pax(Posted 2011) [#47]
i´m pleased with it. Still learning and the missing point seems to be the lack of more export options. Had an eye on messiah since a few years ago, but its price was a no go. Maybe will get point oven. With this offer, no complaints on my behalf.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#48]
Just got it :)

Loaded up the T-Rex and moved it around, looks good!

@Pax there are quite a few export options:

BMP
Cineon
JPG
OpenEXR
PCX
PICT
PNG
PSD
RLA
Radiance
SGI
SUN
TIFF
Targa
VPB
YUV

I havent found a video output though... [Edit: Just found the preview animation output... but not a full render animation output]

Last edited 2011

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#49]
Very pleased.

Not had a chance to play with it but the list of features look great.

A very good deal indeed!

Pax(Posted 2011) [#50]
Hi, sorry for not being more specific. I miss more 3D export options. Usually I do my renders from another software, plus some simulation, so more 3D exports would be nice.

Found "fastmdd", could be an option as it allows to export to deformation points that can be loaded by .mdd supporting programs (and it's cheaper than point oven).

Here's a video being used with blender:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeAEdKzalbs

----- edit -----
No need for point oven @ export time. After applying the effects, .mdd format can be exported by Custom -> Save Morph sequence.

Loaded the sequence ok in xsi, but can't export to .x or .fbx with animation in it.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#51]
I emailed them the end of last week and got no reply. Not very happy that they've A) Grossly underestimated the uptake resulting in B) A week's delay, and C) Seem to have no customer service standards whatsoever.

Refund time. Teach me to jump on a passing bandwagon.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#52]
I have finaly got my details... bloody fiddly licence thing though! You need a usb stick as a licence dongle and all kinds of hokum to make it work.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#53]
You need a usb stick as a licence dongle...

Well you dont "need" a usb stick, you can create the licence on your hard drive... but if you format it you will need to contact them to reset your licence.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#54]
Yay, just installed & have it up & running, it was used to animate the characters within Jimmy Neutron don't you know!

A great animated flick if I say so myself.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#55]
Got it runnning too.

(@therevills) you do if you are using linux or mac. Which is better imo because it makes it a portable 1 user licence, rather than a 1 machine license.
Still a bloody fiddle though :D

Last edited 2011