There MUST be a light mapper ?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/There MUST be a light mapper ?

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#1]
There must be a Lightmapper other and better than Gile[s]. Maybe it would work for me if I had instructions. Perhaps not.
But, where is the Lightmapper that is not a pain in the diode?
If anyone knows, please post it here because I can't be the only one fraustrated and I am sure a lot of folks would buy it. Swift is complicated and Gandalfs gone.
Dicon

6(Posted 2010) [#2]
Gile[s] is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned and I use it all the time. The only problem I have is sometimes getting color artifacts on tED landscapes. What issues are having and I may be able to help?

Beaker(Posted 2010) [#3]
gile[s] is great and it doesn't get much better IMO. You might find the first version (v1.36) easier to use. From here:
http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=&section=giles&sub=download

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#4]
Dicon

I somewhat agree. Giles1 is nice but does have issues when working with complex scenes. Small polys will often remain unlit, light leaks occur etc. The in-built paint tool helps alot, but it's not ideal.

Giles2 gives nicer results with less light leaks and glitches but it's an unfinished programme, lacks the lightmap 'touch-up' tool and requires purchase for continued use (which is a bit rich considering the author doesn't seem to be supporting it). The ambient occlusion rendering is very nice.

I did hope I could lightmap in Giles2 and re-import into Giles1 for final touch up with the paint tool but this doesn't seem possible.

Beyond Giles, I'm not sure what other easy-to-use lightmappers are available.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#5]
You have to purchase Gile[s]? I thought it was made freely available a long time ago? I faintly recall the serial number was posted on the Gile[s] front page. I could have sworn I'd used Gile[s] 2 with the key I bought from Gile[s] 1 so I assumed that the free Gile[s] 1 key worked with that too.

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#6]
Gabriel

That may well work - I haven't tried that.

Regards Giles2, it's a pity it appears to have stalled - it's quite an improvement over Giles1.

<edit> you're right, there's a post on the community forum indicating Giles2 will be free to existing v1 users (personally, I would have paid for a new Giles version)

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#7]
..there are lightmapers out there but its pretty much about cost..soo..you can take a look at PureLight (http://www.purelighttech.com/overview.htm) or if you have 3dsmax license, things gets even simpler..depending..

EDIT:
I forgot about Light Map Maker i use to play with some time ago and it was really powerful, and GI were better than Gile[s] that time, i dont know now, but jusging from screenshots, its looking like capable tool..

http://www.awingsoft.com/LightMapMaker/lightmapmaker.htm

Last edited 2010

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#8]
NA

I think I looked at that years ago as well, but found it kind of cumbersome to use? Does export to b3d though.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#9]
..well..its free tool and it does job very well..what i liked about it is lightmap patch size control, so u could really get neat results with very small lightmaps..and raytracer/GI were really good...

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#10]
NA

I have an interior scene that's quite complex and for which I'd like GI. Giles1 is not handling it well, so I may check out LMM again.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#11]
Why what is wrong with giles?
It does what it says on the tin.

There are loads of lightmappers about (including 3d apps like 3ds, blender etc that can bake lightmaps) but none as good at actual -lightmapping- that i have found.

@madjack, are you sure you have got the settings correct for the type of scene? It has been a while but i know those settings (bleed etc...) can make a HUGE difference on different map types.

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#12]
Some further lightmappers:

DeleD http://www.delgine.com/
Lightbulb (hard to find/download) was a tool made with/for Blitz3d some years ago
Sketchup, using import/Export plugins and converters.
coppercube http://www.ambiera.com/coppercube/features.html , 99$
Irredit with lightmapping plugins
Blender (maybe not so easy)
Gelato (seems like Nvidia dropped it)
3Dlight
Dark Lights (handles DBO) thegamecreators.com

and maybe some more

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#13]
*ted is not really a lightmapper, it lightmaps terrain, and props to terrain nicely, but props themselves have "vertex shadowing" which probably disqualifies it somewhat.

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#14]
Ok, just removed. I've thought the abilty to import meshes would automaticly mean they will be lightmapped. Indeed disqualifying to some degree.
BTW there is also SlimShady, but to be honest, it may be useful to assemble a map, but its lightmapper (YAL, from the forum), probably due to my mods, isn't that powerfull or exact. It even has an option to export the scene for giles, with lights, so it can be lightmapped in giles, although only point lights are supported so far. The latest version, I think 0.6 is part of the misc_tools zipfile that ca be found in the download section of the csp fps engine v 10.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#15]
Never heard of Coppercube - will check it out tonight. I see it can import B3d, but export is limited to obj/collada/irrilicht/STL.

madjack, are you sure you have got the settings correct for the type of scene?

I'll revisit it - I think typically glitches show when a lightmap size is too small for the included surfaces so I may need to split some off onto another map - although I was also getting glitches with small vertex coloured areas.

Last edited 2011