Blender -metaballs-poly reducer

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Blender -metaballs-poly reducer

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#1]
You can make organic things in blender with metaballs and metatubes, then you convert them to a mesh and use the built in poly reducer script on the mesh.
e.g.:

The one on the left is made from metaballs, the one in the middle was reduced twice (500 polys) the one on the right was reduced once (1000 polys)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#2]
Dont you mean the other way round for the last two :D

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks to me as though he has it right way around. The specular highlights on the one in the middle definitely look as though there are less vertices in that one.

EDIT: On second look, the wireframe appears to back that up.

I used to like Blender's metaball modelling, so the ability to convert to polygons and then reduce sounds pretty nice.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#4]
/\
yes correct

It only takes a few minutes to get it done which is very appealing,
I dont like spending a long time adjusting vertices.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#5]
I used to do that in 3dsmax 2 years ago but it isn't a very efficient way of working. That technique evolved into tools where you place muscles on bones and set some parameters, when you animate the bones the muscles flex and stretch a skin realistically.

I prefer to model low poly quads and use poly tools to add edit and remove loops and rings. There are a whole bunch of useful tools for adjusting these in most modelers. Very handy for optimizing quickly by hand too.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ah, whwn i first read it i though you had said the one on the right had been reduced twice.
But must have been mistaken.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#7]
it takes a lot longer to work with individual polys though?

d4n - i probly should have put the low poly one on the right