Midi To Wav Converter

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Midi To Wav Converter

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does anyone know of a free Midi To Wav Converter? I used to have one but I deleted it probably thinking I'd never need it again. Most of the free ones I see when I search for a midi to wav converter are just trial versions.

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#2]
A crude way to do this is to just use MS SoundRecorder, found in Accessories, Entertainment.

Run it, go into Edit->Audio Properties

Under 'Sound Recording', click on the Volume button.

Then in the window that appears, in the 'Options' Tab, Click on Properties.

Select either 'mono mix' or 'stereo mix', exit & it should now appear as device along with microphone, cd etc..

Select this as your recording source.

Whatever you play with Media Player you can now record with Sound Recorder.

However, this is not the best solution.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#3]
Haha you're funny, tryin to make me record sound coming out of my speaker... ... ... It'll work but it'd come with lots of background noise.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#4]
With what hes suggesting you dont record it from your speaker, it records from the output device of your soundcard. Doesnt matter if your speakers are even on . What you do is set the source to your wav out I think, and hit record on sound recorder then play on windows media player. Sound recorder has the ability to delete before and after certain points so you can edit the spots before you hit play.

If im not mistaken, windows sound recorder has a 60 second recording limit though.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#5]
I have Audacity (it's free) so I could try using that. The midi to wav converters do that same thing though, record while playing. So I'll try doing it like that, thanks ;)

JA2(Posted 2009) [#6]
To increase windows sound recorder 60 second limit, just record 'nothing' for the 60 seconds and copy + paste it a few times until it's the length you need. Start recording from the beginning to overwrite the 'nothing' sound.

Much better to use Audacity tho ;)

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#7]
I won't be using the Sound Recorder so that limit won't be a problem.

OwlEpicurus(Posted 2009) [#8]
There's also this site. It works well enough, though it adds a few seconds of silence to the end of every track.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#9]
You could also use modplug http://lpchip.com/modplug/viewtopic.php?t=18

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#10]
By the way I did figure out how to do it using Audacity. I realized I've already done something similar, only it was with Skype. I was using the speaker output as a microphone input to play music and other stuff on Skype. If you just use what Yeshu777 said, but record with Audacity instead, it works perfectly.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#11]
I know this is not what you're looking for, but the best thing to do, and I mean for real commercial production, is to import your MIDI into a software like Fruity Loops and move the notes into a Virtual Instrument track like a Sound Font or a VST library. That way, the instrument plays the same notes, at the same speed, but with much higher quality samples (and sometimes, chromatically sampled depending on the VST you use).

I was doing some testing with this (my mixing skills are not the ones of a professional editor, mind you)...

Original MIDI Version:
http://www.freewebs.com/rafael_navega/Musics/Field4.mid

MP3, High-Quality Version:
http://www.freewebs.com/rafael_navega/Musics/Field4_HQ.wma

(It's copyrighted!)