Max 2010 and b3d?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Max 2010 and b3d?

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#1]
Anyone knows if there is *any* way to export data from max 2010 to b3d?

B3d pipeline unfortunately doesn't work (it gives an initialization error)... is there any other b3d export plugin?

I know I can export to 3DS, but exporting to .b3d with all the texture data is much better.

Any help appreciated!

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'm guessing your best bet is to export to Collada and then use Blender to convert that to b3d.

I mean, I'm not a 3ds max user so I can't test this myself, but I realized just a couple days ago that exporting to Collada might be a good option for Maya, so I would guess that's true for 3ds max too.

EDIT: shoot looks like Blender's Collada importer is far from complete. Well this approach should still work but use Ultimate Unwrap to convert the Collada to b3d. Unfortunately Ultimate Unwrap is commercial software; it's well worth it but still free solution would be nicer...

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ultimate unwrap doesn't have max 2010 plugins which is a shame. It's proven to be the most reliable conversion tool in the past. The native .U3D import plugin for 3dsmax was very dependable.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#4]
yes there is. Use the b3d exporter in the b3d archives and convert it to max code. That is if you are actually talking about b3d, otherwise just use the normal file-IO commands.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hi,

1) 3DSMax to .X with Panda DirectX exporter
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx
2) .X to .B3d with Fragmotion http://www.fragmosoft.com/ "Christmas Sale! Half price now through December 25!!"

JP

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
Anyone knows if there is *any* way to export data from max 2010 to b3d?

Unfortunately, You'll have to wait until Jan 1 to get the data ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#7]
ahh he means 3dstudio max, i thought you meant blitzMAX (i was wondering what the 2010 was all about!).
In that case what JZP said.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#8]
If you have Ultimate Unwrap 3.x then you could try to export your max model to fbx (v5 or v6 don't know about v2010 Autodesk's fbx converter may be needed) format and the convert it to b3d. I use this method when converting models done in Cinema 4D.

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#9]
I tried max 2010 to fbx and collada through UU3D and then to blitz3D worked fine. I kept the same 2010 spec .FBX file I use with Unity and it came out perfect complete with character animation.

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#10]
So "AutoDesk® 3ds Max® 2010" has ditched plugins for "Connection Extensions" and added little to the meat and bones of the app?

Is this just a revenue gathering release or does this new horridly named app have anything else going for it?

chi(Posted 2010) [#11]
You could export to .ase and import into gile[s]2...

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#12]
2011 looks like it has quite afew improvements. Hardware accelerated rendering, new 2D and 3D painting tools, new node based material system and legacy version is still there if you want to use it. Softimage CAT integrated, really love that but hope thry fixed the bugs.

Looks like a pretty decent upgrade to me. http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/3ds_max_2011_announced

It's not like it used to be, where you had to buy plugins to be the most productive with it. I only have Max and photoshop these days, and even use 3dsmax for 2D vector art because the spline drawing tools are much easier and faster to use and exports to adobe .ai out the box.

Being a unity user I'm looking forward to the next FBX update from autodesk, which includes LOD and Instance support, Which will make tools like max and maya a lot easier to use as object placement editors. Possibly even WYSIWYG with the nice viewport shader rendering Max has which already includes realtime soft shadows and ambient occlusion.

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#13]
Here's a vid of some of the tools I really enjoyed in the 2010 version of 3dsmax.

graphite edgeloop tools http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOBVaQhe4o

Use these all the time now.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#14]
man I was expecting to see awesome new tools, but instead it's a bunch of tools that I've been using in Maya for years. I mean, a couple of the more niche selection tools aren't in Maya (what good is dot ring anyway?) but most of the other tools are pretty old hat.

This hit me right around when he was describing the swift loop tool; I was thinking "huh? isn't that just Insert Edge Loop?" and then I remembered I was looking at a different piece of software.

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#15]
yeah, it's been in max for a long time too, but much nicer to use and very tweakablenow. They had basic edge loop and ring tools for years, but the more advanced stuff like adjusting the spacing and curvature, quadrify and really easy retargeting and adjusting them are really nice.

I still much prefer 3dsmax for polygon modeling over maya. I just find the whole interface kind of quirky in maya, feels like I've got two left hands.

Either way, I think you will be surprised how few modeling tools have these tools. I recently tried about 9 different modelers when I was thinking of using OSX more since I'm using Unity a lot. Was sorely disappointed. Silo and Maya seemed to be the only ones that I felt reasonably comfortable with but in the end I decided to go back to windows.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#16]
Even though I've never used Silo, I'm gonna guess these edge loop tools originated there because Silo generally tends to be the leader in polygon modeling tools.

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#17]
actually max 2010 has a nice feature set though its a bit more crash prone.
swift loop is nice as it if you press shift it inserts loops but maintains the curvature.
it would be nice if b3d exporter was updated, it was pretty cool really