Sprite layer editor?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Sprite layer editor?

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is there a tool which takes snippets of an image (an image containing pieces o' arm, head, torso, legs, shoes, in all kinds of rotations etc.) and allows me to layer them to create a complete sprite? Preferably it has several frames where I can move each snippet a few pixels to suggest motion.

I'm creating something like that with a friend, but I'd like to see some reference, if it exists!

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#2]
Have you tried GraphicsGale?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
I think I know what you are talking about.. I need to make this for my game as well..

Your referring to taking (like) motion capture points and adding arms, legs, hands to those and then the system will animate them like bones? So you just make a straight leg for example and add it to the leg and viola?

If you find one let me know... it will save me some work!

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#4]
Not a bones system afaik. Just me pixeling an underarm, an upperarm, a torso, a head, a back arm etc. And then I just layer them, like Photoshop layers, and each frame I move each layer a pixel to suggest motion. But not in-game, just in the gfx-editor. So I end up with like 4 complete frames with a complete character that simply moves/animates.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
OIC... that you should be able to do with GraphicsGale as suggested by Yeshu777

I want to be able to create different players on the fly.. so users can edit the parts and they would automagically turn into the appropriate anims

Cheers

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#6]
@_Skully what your looking for is a 2D IK application there was one called Orange Pebble, but alas it looks like it is no more.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#7]
Moho, or Anime Studio as I think it is now called, can do this. You basically add bones to a 2D image (or image parts) and then animate it like a 2D in 3D model. You can then render like a 3D animation for use in your game.

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/anime/index.html

Jason.

amonite(Posted 2009) [#8]
Charas.Ex Generator : http://www.picceta.com/utilities/charas-ex-generator/

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#9]
That looks sweet QuickSilva!

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#10]
GraphicsGale is free, pretty neat for editing sprites.