beginers books for blender.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/beginers books for blender.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#1]
Gday all.
I am looking for some advice on good books for blender aimed at total noobs. I know there are heaps of tutorials & pdf's avalible but i am after a good book, i also know everyone has their own view on blender & i am not looking to open up an argument about that as it is "Different strokes for different folks."
Cheers :)

ardee(Posted 2009) [#2]
Need a bit more info, you're new to Blender but are you new to 3D software in general?

Also, what ultimately do you want to create with Blender? Animated characters, props, games, levels, movies, images... it's powerful software, need to know where you're planning to go with it before I could help recommend something best suited to you.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#3]
Gday Ardee, sorry should have said. I am new to blender but i have used 3d canvas. I would like to use Blender for modeling, creating animated characters, props & levels to start off with.
Cheers :)

ardee(Posted 2009) [#4]
OK, first my own opinion... I've never learned how to use any software by reading a book, fine for reference and maybe specific techniques but not for learning.

However, we're all different I suppose. Judging by your background I'd say Blender for Dummies by Jason van Gumster would be your best bet if you want to go down the printed book route. Cheap, available direct from Amazon and by a respected long ttime user of Blender it is directly aimed at newbies giving a good overview of Blender and it's methods.

Personally, if I was you and starting out with Blender (I've been using it for 6 years now) I'd download it and start playing. When you come up against a specific problem or question get yourself over to http://www.blenderartists.org and ask away. Check out the myriad of video tutorials too available on the net on specific topics.

The noob_to_pro wiki is also highly regarded.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Any questions give me a shout and I'll try and help.

josk(Posted 2009) [#5]
If you are going to get a book the following might be worth a look.
Click here!
I found it useful having it sat at the side of me.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#6]
I think i will go with the Dummies book to start off with.
Thanks for the info people. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#7]
They do sell a manual (a proper heavy book) and have many free video tutorials both on the site (start there) and some 3rd party ones on youtube.

good luck with it and persevere, it is really a great program when you get to know it, especially the animation.