[B3DPipeline] Painting Vertex Alpha in 3DS?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/[B3DPipeline] Painting Vertex Alpha in 3DS?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello everyone, just wanted to ask if anybody here who uses\used the B3D Pipeline for 3DS Max has successfully managed to paint Vertex Alpha to a mesh and exported it to b3d with this property.

I know about setting up the Brush material (need to mark both Vertex Colors and Vertex Alpha flags), and also how to use the Vertex Paint modifier to add in vertex color, but I need to know how would you use Vertex Paint to paint the alpha values.

Thanks in advance!

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#2]
It's been years since I used B3d or B3D pipeline. I do remember that we used vertex alpha in Aerial Antics (2003) to fade the horizon of the desert terrain into the skydome in the far distance.

Back then B3D didn't do alpha sorting, so it was quite limiting without extra work. Not sure where it stands now.

In 3dsmax there's a vertex alpha option, and if I recall, you probably have to enable the alpha flag for the B3D material or mesh (can't remember which).

I did get it to work back then anyway :)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#3]
It sure gives me a bit of hope Adrian, but everything I've tried so far has failed completely.

I hate it when you do everything by the book and it still won't work for some mysterious and secretive reason.

chi(Posted 2009) [#4]
hi kryzon,

1.) paint vertexalpha within vertexpaint-modifier
2.) click "Tools" and select "Channel Info..."
3.) rightclick ID 0:vc -> copy
4.) rightclick ID -2:Alpha -> paste
5.) add b3dbrush to your model and tick "vertexcolors" and "vertexalpha"
6.) export and have fun ;)

cheers, chi

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#5]

It'd take me ages to find that out! thank you for your interest in helping me, chi.

Cya later, off to make some games!

PS: Steps 2 and 3 are swapped, I noticed it's actually -2:Alpha COPY then 0:vc PASTE. This 0:vc must be the Brushe's vertex channel perhaps? good thing it works perfectly.

chi(Posted 2009) [#6]
youīre welcome ;)

... when you "condense to single layer" you have to select "vertex color". after that copy 0:vc (vertex color) to -2:alpha...
so for me itīs not swapped?!? but as long as it works for you itīs ok ;)

cheers, chi