FBX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/FBX

Alberto(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello

Modern engine use FBX file format
Is their any concrete advantage over the traditional blitz or milkshape file format as far as character animation is concerned ?

The point is that all the converter / exporter I tested are buggy

Even Ultimate Unwrap3d which is supposed to be one of the best can not actually export FBX animations from .ms3d or .x

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#2]
It is owned by Autodesk company which also owns 3D Studio Max and Maya which are the most widely used modelling packages in the market right now. And it seems that Autodesk will continue supporting this format in the upcoming releases of the above mentioned applications. In my opinion, it is why all the modern engines have FBX support. It will provide a better pipeline for the future, so you can use the same models in a variety of applications and in their future releases.

Also, in Autodesk's FBX website they listed these as advantages;

Core features of FBX enable you to:

* Use multiple 3D tools to realize your creative vision in the most efficient manner possible
* Support a wide range of 3D and 2D data
* Enjoy high-fidelity data conversion
* Exchange digital assets with other studios whose pipelines are standardized on tools different from yours
* Integrate off-the-shelf and proprietary toolsets
* Transfer custom data between applications
* Access legacy content after upgrading your pipeline

There is also a C++ SDK which provides import/export functions which is free to download and made by Autodesk.

Alberto(Posted 2009) [#3]
uhmm...maybe in theory
In practice it is a trouble maker ;)

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#4]
Both FBX and Collada are file interchange formats, I don't really think they are optimized for games and your better off with your engines proprietary format if it has one. If it does have one, chances are it will support many rendering, LOD, culling and other scene manager optimizations that a generic format won't.