If 1unit = 1metre, how do I create small stuff?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/If 1unit = 1metre, how do I create small stuff?

Tobo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Dear all,

If using the accepted ratio of 1unit = 1metre in a 3D environment, when using packages like Deled and 3DWS, how do you create things that are smaller than 1unit, like the width of a light post, or a table leg?

Hope the above makes sense.

T.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
Use measurements of 0.1 for 10 cm, and 0.01 for 1 cm.. etc etc?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
If using the accepted ratio of 1unit = 1metre in a 3D environment
Accepted - not mandatory!

1 unit can be anything you want. An inch, a yard, a mile.

Tobo(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yeah, I understand the concept, but how do I actually do it?

I can't find a way to make these objects smaller than 1 unit in the programs I mentioned.

many thanks.

T

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
Well, make the 1 unit in your program equal to 0.01 units in blitz. Basically, model everything as if 1 unit in your program equalled 0.01 units in blitz, then scale the whole thing down by 0.01 when you load it into blitz. Sorted :)

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#6]
In 3dsmax you get clipping issues in the default setting with 1 = 1 meter
to get around it you right click in the viewport and select viewport clipping.

You get a little line widges down the right side with triangles that you can drag up and down to change the cliping distance. works a treat :)

Thought that some of the max users might find it handy. With modern games it can really help working to the same scale as your physics engine and for baking lightmaps using photometric lighting etc.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#7]
Gday Tobo
I am curently useing Deled.
If you go into the options in Deled under the view tab, you can change the size of your grids. I use a major grid size of 100 & a minor grid size of 10. I work around each minor grid square being 10cm & the major grid square being 1meter. If i export my scene as a b3d file & use a scale of .02 in the b3d export plugin, a cube created in Deled at 1meter is the same size as a cube you would create in Blitz with the createcube(). Although you can use it as millimeters or whatever you like. Hope this helps.:)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#8]
Depending on world size i usually like 10 3DU to 1M that way i dont need to get fractional so often and it all just snaps together. Be careful of going too big in B3D though as collisions get confused if your coords start running into the many tens of thousands from one side to the other for 1 mesh (eg a terrain or CSM map). Also, dont make it 'crazy small' either -ie 1 unit to 1 mile because the engine will slow down dramaically.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
3d world studio isnt really designed for detail work thats what its mesh importer is for.