Cinema 4D export problems

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Cinema 4D export problems

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#1]
Ok ive searched the forum and found afew post on cinema4D. Ive tried the methods posted, but can not export animations out of cinema4D for use in Blitz3D.

Ive tried bones and the joint tool that come with Cinema4D, but still no luck :(

Can any body post there methods of getting animations out of Cinema4D and into Blitz3D.

Eg: settings / other software used etc..

Thanks

Destroyer

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#2]
Ok ive bought fragmotion and it seems to do what i need :)

Also Pete Carter gave a link to another plugin

Thanks
Destroyer

North(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey Destroyer,

anything C4D related like export plugins etc. please link them ^^

Thanks
north

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#4]
No probs North

http://skinprops.com/download.php

Check this site out, might have what you need.

I stick with FBX / Collada file formats now as they seem to retain animation/textures etc..(plus the FBX format is built in as an exporter for Cinema4D.)

Then run the models through fragMotion, and save out as B3D file format

Also Autodesk has a FBX converter program(free), and i use that to convert to Collada file format if needed.

At the mo its export from Cinema4D as FBX, then into fragMotion(you could use UU3D), then save as B3D.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks

Destroyer :)

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#5]
If you want a half decent X file exporter try XPORT

The problem with the Blitz3D exporter and XPORT is that you have to use the old way of animating with bones and vertex maps for each individual bone, not the joint/weighted skin system. The link above has a tutorial on how to rigg a character but it's written for a version prior to C4D-10.

Cinema 4D is a excellent tool it's just that the export options are somewhat lacking, the reason I think is because C4D/BodyPaint3D is mostly aimed at T.V./Film production not games.

I also use the C4D/fragMotion method of conversion.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#6]
Both collada and fbx exports from cinema 4d versions 9 - 11 have been broken. the exporter linked to above is the only real option. it always looks ok but theres always something wrong with the animation or wieghting

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hi Pete

Ive had no problems with FBX. Im using Cinema4D R10.5 and have tried Collada from Cinema4D R11.

Then i convert using fragMotion to B3D, i have not had any problems with Bones/Joints/weighting. My models load up fine into Blitz3D with animation and textures.

Thanks
Destroyer :)

BIG BUG(Posted 2009) [#8]
Have you tried my B3D exporter?
http://www.mein-murks.de/software/B3DExport.zip

Unfortunatly its not possible to access this new Joint stuff with COFFEE, so if you want bone animations, you have to use the old bone system in Cinema4D, which still works in R10/R11.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
maybe its the fbx importer for unwrap 3d then, but ive not been able to get a animated model to work correctly

6(Posted 2009) [#10]
It took me a while to get animation export working properly, but it does work. I'm using Cinema 10.1

Create model
With the points tool, select vertexes and then use 'Selection -> Set Vertex Weight' to create the Vertex Maps.
Name each Vertex Map with a different name i.e 0, 1, 2, 3 etc

create bones ( each bone must have a unique name)
add bones to model
Fix bones
Add a restriction tag to each bone and set the Name property to a particular Vertex Map, i.e. 0,1,2, 3 etc

After animating save with the XPORT plugin and then open the file in Fragmotion.