fpscreator contentpack: contact seller?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/fpscreator contentpack: contact seller?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is there anyone who can give me the adress of the seller of the fpscreator content packs? Because the License terms are not realy clear to me.

Zenman said:

Most of the models I have bought carry a standard license. The key phrase is "or in other Games". In this case my understanding is that you are not limited to any specific software you can include these models in. You should always check. I can't say this applies to all. Most just ask for a notice usually in the credits:

Some or all of the game assets used in this game are (c) Sellers name.
All Rights Reserved.

Grant of Licence
In consideration of the Customer's promises herein (including without limitation the Customer's obligations in clause 7 of this Licence Agreement) the Seller hereby grants the Customer a personal, non exclusive, perpetual, non transferable, royalty free licence to:

modify Assets and integrate Assets in "Commercial Games" (as defined below) created using FPS Creator, FPS Creator X10, Dark Basic Professional, Dark GDK or in other Games;
and
issue copies of such Commercial Games (and permit others to issue copies of such Games) to the public for commercial purposes.
A "Commercial Game" is a Game which is either: (i) commercially exploited by any person (including, by way of example only, a Game which is distributed in return for payment or any other benefit); or (ii) reproduced in more than 100 copies.
A "Game" is an entertainment software game whose sole purpose is to entertain its user without further modification. The term Game expressly excludes: (a) any software tool or software product which can (or might) be used in order to create further games or other software products; and (b) any software library, compilation or collection of graphics and / or sounds and / or other assets or works from which a particular graphic or sound or other asset or work may be extracted to be used independently of the software in which it was first incorporated; in each case irrespective of whether or not the primary purpose of such software is to entertain its user.

So does that mean I could use it in a commercial release only when the game was made with one of their products, like FPSCreator, otherwise it may not be commercial? And furthermore is it "commercial" only because there are more than 100 copies??

This is really confusing...

Is there anybody who can give me an address so I can ask them directly?

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
"Mark Blosser" is one of the authors - he is known as "bond1" on the TGC forums:

mark @ hyrumark.com
mark.tgcstore @ gmail.com

I had requested that he not sell out to TGC and that he retain copyright and control of his media to sell it outside of TGC. However, that was about a year ago.

At the time, I think the authors were looking at retaining control and they may still have control of their own media.

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
On the website it states under the pack prices:
Once purchased the media has been packaged in such a way to enable you to enjoy the content immediately within FPS Creator. This pack can also be used with other applications such as DarkBASIC Professional, however users of other applications or development languages will need to extract and convert the files for use themselves.

EDIT:
As there are various authors of packs - I wonder if the pack licences may differ depending on the author?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks Puki! While the License text posted by Zenman suggests that they make a diffrence between commercial and not commercial use, one may say a buyer cannot read the License as long as he doesn't buy the product, BUT after reading the text you quoted, he will understand this easily as a permission to use the content commercially (since there ain't no limitations with FPSCreator) in any other (game) application too.

Maybe this won't give the buyer the right to use the content as desired, but probably he can get his money back. Not what I wanted :) Seems like I really have to contact one of these guys.

Thanks for the mail addresses. I think I first ask the reseller, Nick of TGC, that I just looked up with whois.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#5]
Wow, this was quick (actually it took only 2 minutes, but my internet was broken for an hour).

So once and for all:

------------------------------------------------

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM, <.....@...; wrote:

Hi Rick

Please excuse me for contacting you this way, but I couldn't find an other contact address on your Product Page and there is this question I got:

There are several very nice Model Packs for FPSCreator. Can they be used commercially in Games that are made with tools that are not Products of TGC? (Eg. with the limitation to pack the Models in a way that makes it hard to impossible to extract them from the game).

I'm sure a lot of people would buy several packs if they were officially allowed to do so.

Kind Regards

Dieter Marfurt

Hi,

Yes that is possible. You just can't re-sell them as a library of models and if you can, please ensure they are encypted.

Rick Vanner
Financial Director
The Game Creators Ltd
www.thegamecreators.com

Zenman(Posted 2009) [#6]
If you use them in a game you distribute, you should use a product to help keep people form getting their hands on.

http://www.phoenix-sentry.com/download.php

This is one product it also has a free version which you can use with most game engines indies use.

This will help protect somones hard work.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#7]
"Phoenix Game Protection" said:
The only limitation on your customer is that they do not try to browse file folders during game play.

http://www.phoenix-sentry.com/product_detail.php?detail=1

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'll use Molebox Pro for this.

Zenman(Posted 2009) [#9]
Molebox Pro

Looks like a better product I'll check it out.