Making Audio Samples

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Making Audio Samples

Rico(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi - I want to make some audio samples for my game. I want to make some speech ones - and then change my voice in the program to sound better and more resonant. What programs/equipment do I need. What kind of Microphones is best? -I presume I need a microphone. Also what package is best for this.

I appreciate any help. It would be nice to make sound effects too. Thank you.

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#2]
Cool Edit Pro 2.1

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#3]
The tool I use for recording and editing sound samples is Audacity, but as that is freeware I'm sure Cool Edit has more features for massaging the sound quality.

Yan(Posted 2009) [#4]
I presume I need a microphone.
Unless you want to try shouting *very loudly* into your headphones, yes. ;o)

Don't forget that Audacity can use plugins to extend its range of effects.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
A condenser microphone is best but they aren't especially cheap.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
Agreed. Vocals mic's i found, unless they are top notch ones, aren't as good as an equivilantly priced condenser. Try maplins. They were selling ones for £20 odd.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yeah, Maplins. That's where I'm going to get mine from. They have a few reasonably priced ones in but the cheaper ones do look a little flimsy.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yeah, they do. I got a cracking sony one off amazon for £70.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
Goldwave > Audacity in my opinion.

It has a free trial which allows full functionality, the only drawback being annoying pop-ups after some 5000 uses or something, which, though annoying is really not at all restrictive and allows you to continue using the trial even though 5000 operations should see you quite a long way anyway :)

www.goldwave.com

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#10]
Yep, I second Goldwave. Audacity is quite unstable at the best of times, and a bit clunky to use. Goldwave on the other hand has served me well for many years.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#11]
Sony mic for £70! madness, you can get a studio quality Rode m3 condenser mic for that price. (a joke Im sure your sony is ok.) but i love rode mics they sound great and have almost no noise even with high gain.

Get a program like Reaper, there's a free version available for download. Anything that uses vst plugins will do.

Use a compressor to even out your recording and then have some fun with the huge number of free plugins available from eqs and filters to vocoders.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#12]
Rode eh? I'll have a look see. Thanks :o) TBH, i've always found condensers better for vocal work, than vocal mics. Don't know why...

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#13]
Rode are a Australian company that make very high quaility studio mics, i have a number in my studio and we have a couple at work we use as drum overheads (to pickup the cymbols etc live).

Vocal mics? i think you mean dynamic? if so there are reasons for that.

dynamic mics like the shure sm58 which is used all over the world and is one of the industry standard live mic are great for live, but it is made to provide a average male vocal while rejecting feedback. its very bland and i dont really like the sound it gives, but it does its job well. but as i say its a live mic and if your recording with a more sensitive condenser mic you can record the whole frequency range with out feedback problems so you get a much more naterial sound. if your not careful you may get more background sounds because of the sensitive nature of the mic and its pickup pattern is normally alot more open, picking up alot more than whats in front of the mic.

The reason i said about the rode m3 is the fact that it is high quality and very versatile, and you dont need phantom power because it takes a battery. almost all vocal condensers are phantom power only.

Pete