Silo3D .obj importer for Blitz3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Silo3D .obj importer for Blitz3D

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've added my import routine for B3D that will load a .obj mesh exported from Silo3D, and automatically setup textures, materials, brushes etc.. within Blitz. It doesn't weld vertices so smoothing groups can be achieved by just splitting groups of polys off in Silo, either to seperate objects or within the same object.

It also sorts surfaces and ensures the minimum number are used.

Import scale is 1 Blitz unit to 1 Silo unit.

Ensure you follow the instructions in the text for setting up the material in Silo - it seems complex at first but use it and you'll see it's actually very simple. Name the material wrong and the importer will probably fail or crash - it doesn't do much error checking. Default material name is "texture.png 1 0 2 9".

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2378

SabataRH(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nice contribution, Silo3D rocks.

Thanks Vonderman.

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#3]
Let me know if you have it working OK importing models into B3D - currently I've only tested it on a few models with certain sorts of mesh and material setups.

I think you need to make sure your meshes are made up of either tris or quads also, with no polys greater than 4 vertices - easy enough to do, but if you get any holes in the imported mesh that's probably what's causing it.