gile[s] free!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] free!

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

gile[s] is now free to use for one and all! Go to the download page: http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=giles.download to download the full version.

Thanks to one and all who have bought gile[s] over the years!

We will still be updating it occasinally and fix bugs when we have time, so feel free to post suggestions and bug reports!

Thanks and a merry christmas!

deps(Posted 2008) [#2]
Not bad! Thanks a lot!

Iamhere(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thank you very much for that great gift.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#4]
Cool... but why is it now free?

Panno(Posted 2008) [#5]
generous thx

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
Sweet!!!!

So much for my report on the registry hack for unlimited time on one of the recent beta's.

Thank you fredborg!

Amon(Posted 2008) [#7]
Mighty kind of you Mr FredBorg. :)

It is the best lightmapper I have used. I paid for it many years ago but now all can enjoy it.

Merry Christmas to you to. :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#8]
Will people who paid for gile[s] still get version 2 for free when it is released? Is there an ETA on version 2?

Thanks again for making such a great product. I am glad that I bought it when you first released it, well worth the money.

Jason.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#9]
It is unfair for people who paid...

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#10]

It is unfair for people who paid...

why....

i bought it when it first came out and i still havent used it yet ( haven't done any projects that needed it)

i don't think its unfair.

just like i bought fontext and i believe it was/around last christmas beaker made it free.

i also didn't think that was unfair.

it's their products to do with as they see fit, and both of the above products had a very good/long run as paid for products.

a person buys something because they want to not because they have to ( atleast a product like the above).

*(Posted 2008) [#11]
thanks fredborg :D

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#12]
Very nice Christmas gift Fred!

I bought gile[s] several years ago and it has been a very nice tool.

ardee(Posted 2008) [#13]
Thanks very much for this, I bought gile[s] a couple of years ago and it served me well until I could do it all in Blender. Might have a play with the 2.0 beta.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#14]
First PaceMaker and now Gile[s]

Thank you soooo much!

maximo(Posted 2008) [#15]
one question off topic, when is your game comming out, what is holding it? I thought it would have been released by now, did you have too much other things to work on so game is on the hold?

matty47(Posted 2008) [#16]
Well I'm just lucky I guess. Purchased a week ago. I do hope that the upgrades are restricted to purchasers - otherwise I really did my dough.
Anyway thanks for not just disappearing - like the terrain editor Panorama appears to have.
Matthew

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#17]
..this is a bit abuse of people who payed for it...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#18]
You win some, you lose some. I payed for Protean IDE a short while before it went freeware... so things have a way of working themselves out in the software world.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#19]
Fredborg,

Thanks you very much for making your app free!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
@ Matty
If im not mistaken, Panorama author is Jeppe..honestly, im surprised if guy disappear..hes one of very few i really trusted..

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#21]
Many, many thanks Fredborg!

Big&(Posted 2008) [#22]
Thanks fredborg. Very generous.

I too bought it years ago but don't begrudge fredborg doing this at all.

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#23]
People who have purchased it within the last couple of months receive a full refund. The people in question should have received an email about this.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#24]
Nice one man. It is a great app, and has the scope for a basic editor too :o) Appreciated!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#25]
..this is a bit abuse of people who payed for it...
Nonsense.

If you bought it, you've already had years of unlimited use of it. He's already offered refunds to anybody who bought it 'recently', so what's the problem? That's more than that Protean guy did - I bought Protean about a week before he decided to give it away. A bit rough but I saw out my days in Blitz3D with it. I also bought FONText, which is now free, and which I still use to this day with Blitzmax.

If you've bought Gile[s] and never used it, nobody's fault but your own if you feel you haven't had your money's worth.

:)

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#26]
@maximo: There is no date yet. The game is probably bigger than you expect :) You can see a few videos and screens from it here: http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=youropa.about

maximo(Posted 2008) [#27]
damn fredborg that game looks amazing, really good graphics and the idea!

Kev(Posted 2008) [#28]
thanks fredborg very kind of you.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#29]
@ Gfk

If you've bought Gile[s] and never used it, nobody's fault but your own if you feel you haven't had your money's worth.

was that directed to me? i'm assuming it is because i think i'm the only one who mentioned buying but never using it.

if so i wasn't complaining, i was trying to prove my point that even though i bought it and haven't used it yet that i'm ok with the fact he made it free. i bought it because i had the cash at the time and i felt it looked like a great/useful product for when the time came that i did need it. plus i wanted to show/give my support.

if it wasn't directed at me, feel free to ignore my babbling.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#30]
was that directed to me? i'm assuming it is because i think i'm the only one who mentioned buying but never using it.
No, it was directed at the people who are complaining about everyone getting a great bit of software for free simply because they paid for it once upon a time (and nobody forced them to - they bought it of their own free will).

Just proves what I've always said - even when something's being given away for free there will always be somebody that still finds/invents something to complain about.
if it wasn't directed at me, feel free to ignore my babbling.
Oh.... erm... too late.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#31]
yep i agree with you completely.

oh and i guess i should have put the "if it wasn't...." part first, oops my bad ;-) (ya ya i know shouldn't use smilies blah blah lol)

oh btw i haven't actually said it yet good on ya fredborg, its nice when a community member does something nice like this for the community. and it seems like its something thats catching on atleast with the older more well know elite kinda members.

matty47(Posted 2008) [#32]
Just like to give a public thanks to fredborg for his generous deed of refunding the purchase price to those who bought giles recently (yes I am one). This was unexpected and most welcome. Great to see some true honesty and principles still alive in the world.
THANK YOU
Matthew

Ricky Smith(Posted 2008) [#33]
Thanks Fredborg - seems the Christmas spirit is alive and well !

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#34]
seems the Christmas spirit is alive and well !

Indeed, although you could understand it if the Christmas Spirit cleared off completely with a couple of Grinches around to complain at a free giveaway like this. Still, since one of them seems to be selling an entity placement tool, I guess we don't need to look too deep to spot the motivation.

Personally, I paid for it, and I don't feel abused or treated unfairly. At no point did my license say I was purchasing a say in the future pricing policy of the application, so I don't see what anyone (with a basic grasp of economics) has to complain about.]

I'll tell you what I do hope though. I hope we see more games with seriously impressive static lighting solutions from now on, because now no one has an excuse not to. Unless they're eschewing static lighting altogether, of course.

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#35]
"now no one has an excuse not to"

Aw, I was afraid you'd say that.
Now I gotta work. With no excuses.

Thanks again, Fred.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#36]
gile[s] is by far the best lightmapping tool I've ever used. That was true years ago when I bought it, and it's still true.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#37]
Sorry to repeat myself, but.... why is it now free?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#38]
Why is the sky blue?

It's free because we feel it should be free. Amazingly not everything in the world revolves around money.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#39]
Amazingly not everything in the world revolves around money.

That would appear to depend who you ask :-)

I tried it on my ever-so-low-spec work PC, and it worked nice until it crashed... ho hum...

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#40]
It's free because we feel it should be free.

And why you have such a feeling...?

Amazingly not everything in the world revolves around money

I agree, but this is not the case when you are making business.

You refunded money because you realized your mistake. First you should let people know that your application will stop its development and then you should make it free.

Are you ready to commit that you will finalize the beta version and you will proceed to the public version of gile(s) or that you will develop the next version 3.0?

Although you have proven that you are a very capable I will never trust you in the future.
Your policy forces people to use pirate software

GfK(Posted 2008) [#41]
I agree, but this is not the case when you are making business.

You refunded money because you realized your mistake. First you should let people know that your application will stop its development and then you should make it free.

Are you ready to commit that you will finalize the beta version and you will proceed to the public version of gile(s) or that you will develop the next version 3.0?

Although you have proven that you are a very capable I will never trust you in the future.

Oh do shut up.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#42]
Another polite post of this guy...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#43]
Another polite post of this guy...
You thought YOUR post was polite??

Jeez, anybody would think Fredborg had murdered your dog.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#44]
This guy is beyond disgusting.

DH(Posted 2008) [#45]
Oh do shut up.

OMG another one of those moments where I was thinking the same thing just before I read your post.....

I think it goes without saying but fredborg is friggen amazing! I bought gile[s] in the past (about 4-5 years ago) and would give him $20 any day just on principal of his character alone. The fact he has decided to give it away just shows what kind of guy he is (generous and upstanding)!

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#46]
It's free because we feel it should be free. Amazingly not everything in the world revolves around money.

No worries! Just curious ;) I too understand that money isn't the be-all and end-all.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#47]
hehehe

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#48]
Blitz users are very lucky this christmas. Nice one borgy.

Oddball(Posted 2008) [#49]
That makes absolutely no sense. Him giving away free software forces people to pirate software. How can getting something for free suddenly make you want to start illegally downloading pirated software? Please elaborate. Thank you.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#50]
Do I have any reason to buy an application if I know that sometime it will gonna be free?. I will find a pirate copy and when the author will release it for free then I will become a legal owner.
This is very possible for low cost applications, such as gile(s).
Do you believe that fredborg loves you? If so then you are very innocent. He believes that gile(s) does not make big profits any more. Youropa is a financed project from his country. And here is the money not on your 30USD per copy in a month...

therevills(Posted 2008) [#51]
Thanks Fredborg at lot of this... now I need to learn for to use it!

Please elaborate. Thank you.

Don't fuel the fire... its totally off topic anyway!

[Edit]Too late.... [/Edit]

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#52]
I will find a pirate copy and when the author will release it for free then I will become a legal owner.

So you're not the sort of person being nice enough to "donate" because they appreciate the effort that went into something?
As a creator of mostly free stuff (I sometimes build-to-order), it's nice when someone will go out of their way to give you something for your effort, when they don't have to. In fact it is partly a driver to make me produce more and better things.

Alas, your attitude is very sad. But fortunately, we seem to work in different languages, so I won't have to worry about you ever needing any support :-)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#53]
@Brucey: You missed my spirit. It is totally different the case of gile(s). It started as a commercial product. Of course any developer has the right to manage its product in any way he like. He can selling it in any price and then he can offer it for free or vice versa.
When I am donating to someone I know from the first time that I use a product that other users use for free. It is unfair competition, especially for all indie developers, to build their games with a stretched budget and later others build their own games with lower budget but using the same tools.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#54]
Moraldi: So it is ok if I use warez versions of your products, since they might one day be free? Thanks for your blessing in doing this :)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#55]
@GaryV: I will never release for free any of my current or future products. I believe that this policy adds to the value of a product. Look around you... Some products have been removed from market. This is a honest deal as far as their customers are concerned.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#56]
I will never release for free any of my current or future products
But I have no 100% guarantee of that. You might change your mind. I will stick to warez versions for your products. Thanks for giving me the idea and your support.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#57]
Do I have any reason to buy an application if I know that sometime it will gonna be free?. I will find a pirate copy and when the author will release it for free then I will become a legal owner.
Has someone dared you to see how stupid you can make yourself look?

I will never release for free any of my current or future products.
By your own [somewhat deranged] logic, people should warez your games anyway, just on the offchance that you might.

That's A) If they can actually find any of your games, and B) If they're worth the disk space.

you might want to stop having a go at Fredborg now, anyway. Since in doing so you're giving people exponentially more ammunition to fire back at you.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#58]
..this turned to be dirty...i like it dirty :)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#59]
@Gfk: I tried to make you smarter, but unfortunately for you it is impossible!

deps(Posted 2008) [#60]
..this turned to be dirty...i like it dirty :)

Me too. Nothing beats a good flamewar. :)
Two nice products released for free, another one is going to be open sourced. This christmas is starting to look interesting!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#61]
@Gfk: I tried to make you smarter, but unfortunately for you it is impossible!
I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#62]
I have a hard time following your logic Moraldi. If you feel cheated to have bought a product that is later released for free, I have the feeling that you don't value your own time which is a bit sad. During all the period where gile[s] was commercial, all its users enjoyed a good program that fullfilled a real need and made their life easier. That's what they paid for, that's what they got. Really nothing to fuss about.

Please give it a rest and let everyone else enjoy fredborg's generosity.
Thank you.

@fredborg: This is really great. Especially if it means that your other projects are progressing so well that you need full dedication :)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#63]
Please give it a rest and let everyone else enjoy fredborg's generosity.
Thank you.

Your way deserves my respect.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#64]
Usually when software reaches its sell-by date, it becomes heavily discounted or given away free on the internet, or via magazines.

Gile[s] will be replaced by Giles[s] 2 in the future. Would you prefer fredborg actually keep selling it right up to version 2 and then shaft you?

Thanks for freebie fred (altho i bought it and never used it!)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#65]
@Lowcs: Pssst, I have some magazines on my toilet for you. Come on and take a look, you may find some free software titles...

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#66]
Moraldi, let's assume you paid for using Gile[s] years earlier from us, the freeware users. 30$ for years of using Gile[s] while we couldn't. I think it's fair now.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#67]
There is an english expression/saying: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Seems to apply here.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#68]
There is an english expression/saying: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".
Yes, I believe this phrase comes from Trojan origins. Its actually part of a two-line phrase, but the second half is never used.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth, because all the soldiers are hiding up its bottom".

I may have made this up.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#69]
@Mortiis: I am not talking about money. $30 its not the point. (You have to accept it, especially you). It is the way someone decides to change its policy.
I think the subject is finished for me.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#70]
I think the subject is finished for me.
Probably wise since all you've done is make yourself look a bit of a muppet.

I don't think you could derail it any further than you already have, anyway.

</polite mode>

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#71]
$30 its not the point. (You have to accept it, especially you)

Pardon? Why especially me?

Oddball(Posted 2008) [#72]
Gile[s] is an awesome product and whilst I rarely stray into the world of 3D this product is a definate download and keep, you know, just in case. Thank you fredborg and keep up the good work.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#73]
The only problem with Gile[s] is that it doesn't have any tutorials on how to use it (and no, that one in the help file doesn't cut it).

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#74]
I do believe I'll be purchasing giles[2] if its released! the quality and credentials of the author are without question.

I feel when I buy software, I'm buying it for the time I'm using it, rather than something which has always got the same value - so if it is discounted later its really no problem...

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#75]
I feel when I buy software, I'm buying it for the time I'm using it, rather than something which has always got the same value - so if it is discounted later its really no problem...
Isn't that the way most normal people feel?

Litobyte(Posted 2008) [#76]
Thank you, even if I always used the never-published Elias's Phosphore to do such things, I appreciate a LOT the spirit is coming in these forums for this christmas.

This is also a hope for the future of humanity and mankind and peoples understanding!

Also I always liked the sexy GUI of Gile's, how a german would speech: GEIL!

bye

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#77]
It is a strange opinion you hold of this situation Moraldi. I don't think your somewhat broken english helps you to get across your point without sounding rude though.

The number of times i have purchased something and came back the next week, and it has been heavly discounted. I forget how many times, but it is alot! Your not entitled to your money back and it's just bad luck. I had some with Grey's Framework for blitzmax. I was like one day too late in buying it and now it's disappeared.

The fact fredborgs is now giving it away but giving people who purchased within the last 3 month, a refund, is just bad luck if you purchased it more than 4 month ago, but where do you draw the line? 5 month? 9 month? 2 years?

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#78]
I may have made this up.

It's a good thing I read all the way through your post before replying, because I was about to get all pedantic about "hm, I don't think that is the correct etymology."

Shambler(Posted 2008) [#79]
I've already bought and used it and having had the experience of the program I must say this is very generous of Fredborg!

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#80]
Wow! That's very generous!!!

I'm proud to have been a Gile[s] supporter from way back. It more than paid for itself several times over. It's a great light mapping program that doubled as a b3d object texture editor. No regrets in having paid for it ages ago.

This now becomes an INSTANT must have for all blitz users.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#81]
nice one, Its a great app.

I bought it a few years ago and certainly got my moneys worth with the embedded projects i got into a while back.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#82]
Free? Cool - I bought it years ago and don't feel cheated at all. I didn't cost much then and was awesome. Of course you can think that every piece of soft will be free eventually but you might have a long wait... if something is worth it, I buy it. If it becomes free later, so what?

Now that the soft is free Fred don't have to support or developed it anymore - both being pretty time consuming things. :)

Tom(Posted 2008) [#83]
I'm blown away! A great gift for all, cheers Mikkel!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2008) [#84]
Completely lacking as I am in 3D modelling skills, Oddball summed up my thoughts exactly! Thanks, Mikkel.

cyberyoyo(Posted 2008) [#85]
Great offer!
I bought Giles a couple of years ago and I didn't use it as much as I should have, but I don't feel ripped off. I just use that a lot of people will use it now because it's really one of the best creation tools I have on my computer.

And Moraldi, the software is now free so why would you use a pirated version? THE JOKE IS ON YOU AHAHAH AH AH AH!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#86]
I didn't see this until now - thanks fredborg. I have bought it some years ago and it's very powerful. Thanks for the thousands of hours you've spent in writing, debugging and enhancing gile[s] againb and again. Your customer service was extraordinary good, (probably too good). Good luck with your new projects!

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#87]
I bought it years ago and im glad its free now so more people can enjoy it. its a great bit of software.

Thanks Fredborg.

Your game looks amazing, whats spec pc is it running on? or is it console?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#88]
@fredborg, just perused your online gallery and it is very impressive, a belated happy easter!

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#89]
I feel when I buy software, I'm buying it for the time I'm using it, rather than something which has always got the same value

Me, I expect to pass on my software purchases to my heirs after I pass on.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#90]
Have you bought anything interesting? If so, will you adopt me?

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#91]
Wow old thread.