Chad Vernon .X exporter not loading into blitz

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Chad Vernon .X exporter not loading into blitz

Mike Barwise(Posted 2008) [#1]
Using the latest version of Chad Vernon's .X exporter for Maya 8.5, I can output a .X model which exports with no errors and is viewable using the MS .X viewer.

However, when I try and load the model into Blitz3D, the load succeeds but nothing is rendered. I also get completely arbitrary results from MeshWidth, Depth and Height.

Has anyone been able to export a .X from maya using this exporter and then load into Blitz3D? Or is it a problem with Blitz itself? In that case, is the DirectX SDK exporter the best solution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
DirectX7 DX8 and DX9 .X file formats are different AFAIK. You need a DX7 .X exporter.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah it's a different version of the DirectX file format. This one is only useful for working with Blitz because you can export a skeletal animated model from Maya to convert to b3d using Ultimate Unwrap (although now that UU has a plugin for Maya, the workflow using .x is kinda pointless.)

If you only want a static model exported from Maya to use in Blitz and don't have any other software to convert it with, your best bet would probably be the b3d exporter one thread below.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#4]
this works for using static models in blitz, first you need to do a meshcombine on all your static objects and then open the exporter, next check only the normals, materials and uvs and use export selected(you have to select your mesh before exporting. this should work, at least it did for me.

Mike Barwise(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks very much for all your kind and prompt responses.

Mtnhome3d, your solution will give me what I am looking for. I have tried it and its a good way for me to get static geo from Maya into game.

Thanks again everyone!