Photoshop CS4 Extended

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Photoshop CS4 Extended

simonh(Posted 2008) [#1]
Anyone else tried this? Just been trying the demo, and the Extended version seems excellent for 3D object painting.

You can load in your 3D meshes - it supports collada, 3ds, obj and a couple of others - then rotate them around, move the camera around, paint the diffuse/shininess/bump layers as you would normally paint in Photoshop, then export the mesh and textures into any format.

Seems to do all the hard work of creating a UV map for you. It surely beats messing around in Unwrap3D and normal Photoshop.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
I didn't know that, I heard rumors about it being buggy and crashing a lot so I sticked with Photoshop CS. Will try it now.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#3]
you shouldstill create your own UV's. The way PS cs5e does it is really innificient for using the space wisely in a game.

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#4]
I've been using it but only for 2D stuff so far. On my older system the GPU makes a huge difference.

Biggest improvements for me as far as drawing goes are mostly borrowed from corel painter.

Rotate the canvas in the screen, so you can get better angles for drawing long sweeping lines and curves.

And they improved the brush size shortcuts, now holding alt and dragging right mouse scales the brush dynamicly whilst shift + alt and right drag changes the falloff/feather

SO much nicer than using the [ and ] keys on the right side of the keyboard. and shift [ ] for feather. Meant you had to drop your mouse or stylus and use both hands in the past lol.

In GL the zoom and pan is really fast even on huge images.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#5]
I did play with the demo too. No crashes. I think it is worth the extra money to get the extended version.
you should still create your own UV's

I didn't find such a feature

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#6]
...or, save yourself a huge amount of cash and buy 3D Coat instead.

Difference(Posted 2008) [#7]
I have just bought CS4 Design Premium. It is a great suite. They let me upgrade from CS2 standard, so it's a good deal.

It's currently running on a Intel MacBook with Windows XP, with a Intel 945 Express card. Everything seems to run well, but Photoshop wil not use the card for hardware acceleration, even though other programs run OpenGL just fine. I've looked briefly on the net, and a other 945 users have the same issue. They say that upgrading with Intel drivers, does not solve the problem.

3D paint works, but it is slow. I'm really hoping to fix it with a driver update/a fix from Adobe, because using Photoshop for 3D layers seems like a great solution.