SpriteForge and borders

Community Forums/Developer Stations/SpriteForge and borders

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm trying to decide whether I really need SpriteForge or not (playin around with the lite version). When the rendering is complete the whole model gets an outline, but a hand, which is over the model, does not get an outline making it very hard to see. Is there a way to make SpriteForge put an outline around everything?

EDIT: BTW the model is not using any color or texturing (yet).

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
Another question, say I have a model that has clothing over top of my standard character model, how would I make the character entity fullbright but keep the clothing affected by light?

I want to make layered animations, for example, I have my character then armor and such, the armor animation obviously cannot have parts showing from *behind* the actual character model, so I could easily fix that by using both the character and the armor models together, then, with the character in fullbright, just replace the color of the character (should be solid, with fullbright) with the mask color of the animation.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#3]
The outline is just for the sprites actual hard outline, this can be coloured and/or alphad.

I know what you mean, outline limbs and things when viewed with the rest of the model in the background, which i reckon would look pretty bad. However if you want to do something like this, use the shading cleverly or texture it in.
The other way would be to run a quick edge trace filter in gimp/photoshop/PS and superimpose it back on the image from a transparent layer shouldnt take more than a minute or so.

Edit for question 2: there is no option for partial full-brightness, however if you make your B3D model to contain these flags for the child entities then you will get the effect you want. You could render each clothing sprite as a separate model and marry the two sprite tables (eg clothes over body) in a paint app.

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
however if you make your B3D model to contain these flags for the child entities then you will get the effect you want.
I am using blender and currently exporting 3ds, the b3d export has worked a few times but I haven't fully got into it yet. What would these 'flags' be, and how can I set them?

EDIT:
You could render each clothing sprite as a separate model and marry the two sprite tables (eg clothes over body) in a paint app.
That's the problem. Think about this, if you have the character and a piece of armor in a model you obviously want the character to show over the back part of the armor...... I'll try to knock up/borrow some images to illustrate this.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]

Notice how when the armor piece gets to a certain point it actually is no longer visible, because it is *behind* the character.
I simply need to be able to change the character entity in a model to fullbright, whilst keeping the armor/clothing lighted.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ok i understand. Ill have a think for you.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
Anything come about of this?

I've been looking at the blender b3d exporter, and SaveB3D functions, and it seems like there are blend integers for materials, textures and surfaces.
There may be a way to use blender material settings to force certain blend values for a mesh (obviously can't change the hardcoded value, because then both the equipment and the character would have that blend)..

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#8]
That would make spriteforge a must-buy if it made it possible to switch clothes for characters without having to change the entire character sprite

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#9]
Would it help if you could add 2 models to a scene and turn the brightness on and off per mesh?

I could write you a hacked version that uses the last model channel as a "composition" channel.

If its successful i may just drop the others and simply have the first channel and last one for SpriteForge 2 once i find an engine i feel comfortable on that can do what i need it to do.

plash(Posted 2009) [#10]
Would it help if you could add 2 models to a scene and turn the brightness on and off per mesh?
That could work. Or rather a b3d model brush attributes modifier tool.

I could write you a hacked version that uses the last model channel as a "composition" channel.
Composition channel?

If you add these features I would definitely buy it.

Zenman(Posted 2009) [#11]
Anyone know what's up with http://www.d-grafix.com/ Can't seem t connect.

Is Dan still open for business?

nrasool(Posted 2009) [#12]
Yeah Dan is still around, I sometimes speak to him, Will let him know about his site

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#13]
He recently showed a screenshot of a work in progress of SpriteForge X at Syntaxbomb. I guess he's having some downtime at his hosting provider.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#14]
Yeah i forgot to pay my bill... then had loads of stupid problems with those new securepay applets (it was all in swedish and my swedish is ok, but when panic and frustration kicks in it tends to become illegible)

I paid it so hopefully it will be back by tomorrow :/

Zenman(Posted 2009) [#15]
Cool I got a couple of extra bucks and was thinking about picking up SpriteForge.