Maya - Best Export Option?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Maya - Best Export Option?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#1]
A couple of questions about Maya export.

1) Is there a good collada exporter? Does it export everything ok? I'm looking to export export from Maya and import into 3dsMax, so Collada seems like the best option. I'm open to other formats, but they need to be quality formats which include vertex normals, smoothing groups, all the important stuff. No animation though.

2) Is there anyone who could convert a single .ma file to that best format ( Collada ideally, but see question 1 ) for me? It's a number of objects, but just one file, and I only want the whole scene converted. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
do you not have maya? if so send it to me and i'll see what i can do for ya. i have maya and would be happy to export to .dae and .fbx.

if you do have maya and can't find the collada export option, it probably didn't load. the plugins manager window is under the windows/settings/plug-in manager.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#3]
did yo figure this one out?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sorry, I didn't realise anyone had replied. I don't have Maya, no. I thought I might have an old PLE version lying around somewhere but I couldn't find it, and I gather conversion and exporting in that is disabled anyway.

So I'd very much appreciate it if you could convert it for me. .dae and .fbx would be great. The model, including half a dozen or so textures is about 5MB when zipped. Is that ok to email to you or shall I host it somewhere and send you a link?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#5]
email is fine send it to the one in my profile

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
i sent you an email containing the link to the exported files.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
I got it, thanks. The conversion seems to have gone perfectly. Thanks for helping me out, it's saved me a lot of trouble.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#8]
your welcome, may i ask where the mesh came from? it was really good quality.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#9]
I bought it some time ago but never got around to making good use of it. I think it came from TurboSquid originally. It is pretty decent quality for a TS model, as you often get a lot of broken geometry and stuff from the models on there.