Why there exist Gmax?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Why there exist Gmax?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

Even gmax is not a supported product,
we could still download and use it for modelling.
Why?
http://www.turbosquid.com/GameTools

On turbo Squid, they are still selling gmax models.
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSmartSearch/blSearchGameReadyOnly/on

Is it legal to use gmax for game modelling?

Thanks in advance

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
not for commercial use.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#3]
I see, boomboom.
(But Turbo do sells gmax models)
It seems that gmax is for users to add their own models into some specific games, to increase the playability of the games.
Am I right?

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#4]
Here is my advise: Don't spend your time with GMax. As you already mentioned it is an unsupported application and you need to find how you will convert your models to other 3D file formats.
Besides, there are many other good apps (free and low cost) well documented.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#5]
agreed

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#6]
They have stated that you can use GMax to make whatever you want. They would not have a leg to stand on if you used it for commercial projects.

However, it only exports MD3 files, which have very limited vertex resolution...basically if you make an object greater than a certain size, or smaller than a certain size, the vertex positions will be totoally screwed up. It also does not support DDS textures, making it useless for games.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
It also does not support DDS textures, making it useless for games.

Oh yes, that's right, there's never been a game which didn't use DDS compressed textures.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
Doesn't count as a "real" game though, obviously.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#9]
Gmax is pants (it doesnt even export anything useable from what i can tell).
Either buy 3d studio or learn & use blender, which other than maya and softimage XSI is the next best thing imo. (possibly even better for blitz stuff)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#10]
... isn't it supposed to be a free, entry-level version of 3DSMax to give people a head-start?

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yes, other than as a training kit, it is rather useless.

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#12]
It's so out of date to be practicaly useless even as a training tool. 3ds max changed a lot since 3ds max 4 and Gmax. Must be 6 or 7 versions out of date or 3 significant upgrades since it's usually every other version that actually has significant improvements. But the modeling and UV tools have been completely revamped since then.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#13]
the modeling and UV tools have been completely revamped since then.

Have they really though? I mean, sure there have been lots of changes in various areas (eg. rendering and effects,) but in my mind the last big change to the modeling tools was when they introduced Editable Poly, and that was in version 4. My memory is hazy of the UVW Unwrap modifier back then, but I don't recall it being significantly different.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#14]
It's a free way to learn the basic modeling tools of 3ds max. XSI has the same thing.

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#15]
3dsmax now lets you UV map in a similar way to giles where you can uv map multiple seperate meshes to one bitmap making it easy to create single surface texture atlases. Has all the usual things like drawing seams and having max unwrap to your seams, or pelt mapping etc.

All these kinds of things make for quite a big difference, even with something simple like UV mapping. And especially with modern hardware which still prefers low surface/batch counts to process geometry efficiently and get the best performance.

I'm sure theres a ton of other things too, just it's been a good 5 - 6 years since I used Max 4 which Gmax was based around. Editable poly changed a lot too, it was bare bones back then with almost no tools, and not useable as a layer in the modifier stack so very limiting compared to more recent versions.