CharacterFX is now free

Community Forums/Developer Stations/CharacterFX is now free

Wayne(Posted 2008) [#1]
I noticed this the other day.

http://www.insanesoftware.de/

anyone use this? how do you like it ?

6(Posted 2008) [#2]
Good spotting.

I've used the demo a couple of times and after a while finally got used to it. Now its free i thnk i'll be using this.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#3]
fragmotion is 100x times better

Wayne(Posted 2008) [#4]
what makes fragmotion 100x better ?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
what makes fragmotion 100x better ?
CharacterFX is awful to use. Its really awkward and time consuming to get it to do anything. Its been a free app for years in terms of quality - its just that somebody had the nerve to charge money for it.

That's probably what he meant.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#6]
heh yeah, to be more specific it has better controls, and is therefore easier to use, e.g. you move the mouse to move a limb instead of typing in degrees

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#7]
I used to use CharacterFX a lot (eg. all the characters in Halloween Hijinks were animated using CharacterFX) so I can definitively say that the claimed need to type in degrees is untrue. To rotate parts you click and drag on the little transform gizmo that appears when you select the joint. Y'know, just like rotating something in 3ds max or Maya.

I've never used Fragmotion so I have no idea if it is better. However I can say that I found animating in CharacterFX to be a big improvement over Milkshape (at the time this was my only other option really.) The Keyframer Window alone was hugely useful; this tool is generally referred to as the Dope Sheet in professional animation tools, while it's referred to as the Animation Palette in Poser, and from a glance at their website it is referred to as the Keyframe Editor in Fragmotion.

Thing is, while the animation tools in CharacterFX are better than Milkshape, the rigging tools are not; because CharacterFX can import rigged Milkshape models, I used to do rigging in Milkshape and then move the character over to CharacterFX for animating. It's possible that the rigging tools have improved since the years ago that I last used CharacterFX, but I doubt it since the company really seemed to stop development of the software.

Knowing that it is free now is cool, although I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. I mean, while it was great for me at the time, that was years ago. Now, I'd probably recommend Blender to any Blitz developers looking for a free animation tool.

_33(Posted 2008) [#8]
Ah nice!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Nice find :o) I still prefer pacemaker. I just wish you could delete and move frames though :o)