Converting textures with Ultimate Unwrap

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Converting textures with Ultimate Unwrap

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#1]
When I assign a texture to an object in Maya 8.5 and then convert the object to .3ds using Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro, the textures do not get exported with with the object.

The way I convert is by
1) Make the object (textures and all) on one computer.
2) Put the .mb file onto a flash drive.
3) Bring it to a computer with Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro.
4) Convert.

Is it becaus the converting computer does not have the taxtures I used?

kfprimm(Posted 2008) [#2]
That's always a possibility. You should give it a try.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#3]
Ok, Thanks.
I will be awhile before I can test it, though.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's possible that this is the problem. I do remember Ultimate Unwrap not handling missing textures very well. However, it's equally possible that it's several other things. Rather than explain them all and tell you how to deal with them all, I would suggest you convert to B3D instead of 3DS as this will eliminate most of the alternate possible problems.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#5]
Worth a shot.
I'll give it go.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm sure the textures NEED to be in the same folder for a .3ds. .3ds is a really poor format though. Can't you try another format? UU supports a huge amount.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#7]
I have not gotten to try exporting textures with .b3d yet.
But I have noticed that if I give an object an alpha of .5 or anything on the tranceperrent side and convert it to .b3d, it does not show up at all. As if it was not there to begin with. Also, if I give an object a glow, the glow doesn't show up.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
Are you giving the object, or the material an alpha value? I'm sure it's only objects that take alpha values in UU.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#9]
So does that mean I can't have one thing that has an alpha value and another that doesn't in the same mesh?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#10]
Not in UU i don't believe. You can in blitz, but you need to set the correct texture/material flag, on exporting to .b3d every time you export. Which is a pain, as i would like UU to remember my export settings for various materials.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#11]
Well, maybe in a future update...

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#12]
It was only fairly recently that UU had lightmaps supported, with the proper blend mode :o) I still love the app though!

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#13]
Is it becaus the converting computer does not have the taxtures I used?

I'm a little confused here. Are you asking us if the converting computer has the textures? Because in that case, how the heck should we know? Just go and look.

If you are saying that the converting computer doesn't have the textures and are asking if that matters, then yes that matters. The image is not stored as part of the .mb file from Maya or the 3ds file from UU. In order for a texture to show up on the model, you need both the file of the 3D model and the image file of your texture.