3ds to md2 converter?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3ds to md2 converter?

SpaceMan94(Posted 2008) [#1]
Is there a converter that can make a 3ds file to a md2 file?

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
I believe ultimste Unwrap 3d and milkshape will do these for you.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#3]
Why would you want to? Without skeletal animation, 3DS is better and faster than MD2, and 3DS cannot contain skeletal animation, so what's the point of the conversion?

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#4]
3DS is better and faster than MD2

lol, not my 3ds models. I chopped my model into segments and moved rotated each piece and did some keyframe animation. I loaded this into a test.b3d and could only run around 40 of them compared to 200 md2 files in the same enviroment.

I'm sure Im doing something wrong and if someone could provide a start to finish tutorial on building a 3ds model and how to animate it would just be plain peeeechy!

Thanks.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
..MD2 are really fast in B3D..its a pity that there is no shadow lib for B3D supporting it..

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#6]
Well when you said 3ds, I thought you actually meant a 3ds, not one converted to b3d. Still, perhaps you're right, perhaps they are not handled very well in Blitz3D. I would have thought all that vertex positioning in MD2 would make it slow, but I guess not.

.MD2 are really fast in B3D..its a pity that there is no shadow lib for B3D supporting it..

Well it wouldn't be fast if it kept track of all the vertex positions for use with a stencil shadow system, so you'd be back to square one. I would have thought SSwift's shadow system could me made to work with MD2's with a little tweaking though. No?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
You can download blender. It's free and exports to md2.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#8]
> I would have thought SSwift's shadow system could me made to work with MD2's with a little tweaking though. No?

Wishful thinking. From sswift's worklog.
NOTE, MD2 meshes are not at this time supported.

And.
This system can only cast shadows onto static meshes. The meshes can rotate and move around, and you can even move the vertices around manually. But you cannot cast a shadow onto a vertex/bone animated MD2 or B3D. You also cannot cast shadows onto terrains because they too animate their vertices internally to the Blitz 3D engine in such a way that you cannot access their changing locations.

You CAN of course cast shadows from B3D and 3DS animated meshes.

Loktar(Posted 2008) [#9]
Use Framotion, from http://www.fragmosoft.com/. This program imports and exports more files than any other I have ever seen. Its an awesome tool if only to use it for that. I was able to take B3D's and convert them directly to MD2's. Theres a 30 day trial for it so try it out.